Yellowstone's Wrangler Lake, Bog Creek, Joseph's Coat Springs, Broad Creek, Wapiti Lake, Hot Springs Basin, and Pelican Valley. Part One of Two.

TractorDoc

Not long after @scatman and I left Yellowstone in September of 2021 we began planning a trip for September 2022. He must have been desperate for company to let me follow him thru the wilderness again. . . I tend to pull him off course when we travel off-trail, but I like to think my charming wit and personality make up for my lack of compass. I've also been known to bribe my trail mates with tasty snacks so he may had taken that into consideration as well.

We bounced several ideas back and forth in terms of which region of the park to visit as well as what areas we'd like to explore. Hugh has probably been to Yellowstone over 500 times so it can be a challenge to find a place in the park he has not been to. For 2022 we focused on an area East of Canyon that held a lot of unknowns for the both of us. We reserved campsites for four nights: Night one at 4W1 -- Wrangler Lake. Night two at 4B1 -- Joseph's Coat Springs. Nights three and four at 4W2 --Wapiti Lake. My spot in the backcountry lottery was not very early, luckily for us no one else seems to want to visit these areas of the park and I had no problems reserving our campsites. :)

I made things even more interesting for Hugh this year as I'd be bringing along my brother-in-law (Patrick) and good friend (Cody). They have experience with hiking and camping but I think it is safe to say few people truly know what to expect when they accompany Hugh and I into the backcountry. It is also safe to say Hugh had no idea what he was getting into when it came to travelling with Patrick. I hate to spoil the ending but will let everyone know that we made it out alive. Perhaps mentally scarred, but alive. :p

Here is our story in pictures. I've divided the report up into two parts because of the number of photos taken (and I've only resized half the pictures so far). Our trip began on Monday, September 12, 2022 and concluded on Friday, September 16, 2022.

Day One: Monday September 12, 2022.

The goal today was to hike to backcountry campsite 4W1 at Wrangler Lake. This day was designed to be easy so that we might recover a bit from the prior day's 17 mile backcountry hike:

https://backcountrypost.com/threads...arnica-creek-meadows-september-11-2022.10486/

After an Old Faithful buffet breakfast and a somewhat time-consuming car shuttle the four of us found ourselves gearing up at the Wapiti Lake Trailhead. Because Hugh is one with nature a small butterfly (I think it might be a type of Fritillary) used his hand as a perch.

0O7A0755.JPG0O7A0758.JPG

We took the encounter as a good omen for things to come. . . of course it could have been nothing more than Hugh having some leftover syrup on his thumb from breakfast.

Wapiti Lake Trailhead Map. Because we did not want the day to be too easy we followed the Sour Creek Trail down to Sour Creek. There is a small waterfall just to the East of where the trail meets the creek. After checking it out we crossed the sage flat until reconnecting with the Wapiti Lake Trail.

0O7A0761.JPG

An optimistic group at the Wapiti Lake Trailhead. From left to right: @scatman , Cody, @TractorDoc , @CajunPoncho (Patrick).

0O7A0759.JPG

Cody and Patrick getting off to a good start.

0O7A0762.JPG

0O7A0763.JPG

Hugh made sure we did not wander off the trail.

0O7A0764.JPG

A little haze hovered over the valley this afternoon.

0O7A0765.JPG

0O7A0766.JPG

Patrick and Cody's lead eventually disappeared. Something about me having the map/directions caused them to fall back.

0O7A0768.JPG

GoPro Pic on the trail while waiting for Hugh to catch up. Look how everyone is smiling! :)

GP__0311.JPG

Normal people would follow the Wrangler Lake Trail to get to Wrangler Lake. We took a right (went straight) instead.

0O7A0769.JPG

Our destination was somewhere in those distant trees.

0O7A0770.JPG

After a slightly hot hike we encountered Sour Creek.

0O7A0771.JPG

Instead of crossing the creek we followed the trees to the left. The ground suggested the waterfall is no secret and that many others had made their way to it before us.

0O7A0772.JPG

A few minutes later a break in the trees revealed a refreshing oasis.

0O7A0773.JPG

We were only a couple miles in but the walk thru Hayden Valley was open, exposed, and hot. The surroundings of the waterfall were much more comfortable -- even if it was just psychological.

0O7A0774.JPG

Patrick thinking of taking a swim.

0O7A0784.JPG

Group Shot.

GP__0318.JPG

Hugh told us we could not go swimming; he said something about us contaminating the park's water supply o_O so it was off to Wrangler Lake instead.

Heading East and up the sage flat towards the Wrangler Lake Trail.

0O7A0786.JPG

Sour Creek meandered to our right.

0O7A0787.JPG

Walking the line between sage and marshy meadow.

0O7A0788.JPG

We followed the low ridge you can see working its way in from the left.

0O7A0789.JPG

Bones.

0O7A0790.JPG

After about three quarters of a mile of off trail travel we were back on the Wrangler Lake Trail and encountered a small stream crossing.

0O7A0791.JPG

It was early in the trip, so pictures were taken of the water crossing. This would be good practice for the days to come. ;)

0O7A0792.JPG 0O7A0794.JPG 0O7A0796.JPG

Next, a more significant crossing of Sour Creek was necessary to reach Wrangler Lake. This crossing involved a change of footwear.

Considering our options.

0O7A0797.JPG

Chilly water felt good on the feet.

0O7A0798.JPG

Its deeper than it looks. :)

0O7A0801.JPG

Ahhh, Nature. I don't know why, but all I can think of is Cousin Eddy's toilet emptying scene from "Christmas Vacation" when I see Patrick standing across Sour Creek in this picture. Good thing he is not holding a hose. :lol:

0O7A0803.JPG

Looking West towards the Yellowstone River.

0O7A0802.JPG

After a short break to let our feet dry we were back on the trail.

0O7A0809.JPG

Another interesting butterfly. I do not know if it chose to visit Hugh's sticky fingers.

0O7A0813.JPG

Patrick and I hiked this trail several years ago and we saw a coyote hunting for ground vermin in this meadow. No coyote today.

0O7A0814.JPG

Wrangler Lake!

0O7A0817.JPG

Campsite 4W1 is nestled in the trees on the shore of the lake.

0O7A0818.JPG

4W1's marker could use some new fasteners.

0O7A0843.JPG

Camp was set up quickly. This would be the closest Hugh would ever place his tent to mine (foreground). The sounds of me rolling around on a crinkly air mattress may have caused him to choose more distant sites for the rest of the trip. :)

0O7A0820.JPG

Cody investigating Patrick's setup. Patrick claimed that he was going to be Mr. Ultralight during the planning stages of this trip. He even went so far as to cut the handle off his toothbrush. As you can imagine it was quite a surprise to us when we heard a small fan inflating his air mattress. . . I suppose one can only sacrifice so much. :D

0O7A0821.JPG

Sun getting low in the sky over lily-pad covered Wrangler Lake. There was no temptation to take a swim here as the muck covered bottom would have been knee deep at a minimum.

0O7A0822.JPG

Group photo from supper at Wrangler Lake. It is difficult not to notice the giant utensil in Hugh's right hand. . . that is the infamous "Heavy Spoon" that has had mention in some of the other topics on this forum. For those that do not know, Hugh claims he forgot his titanium spoon when he wedged it in a log during lunch at the headwaters of Alum Creek on our epic day hike. Personally, I feel he planted the spoon in the log the way an explorer plants his flag in a new territory -- claiming it as his own and leaving it for future travelers to find. Whatever his reasoning he was out some cutlery so that evening we stopped at the Old Faithful gift shop to find a replacement. All he could find was a short, plastic spoon or this longer handled metal one. I recommended he borrow a spoon from the Old Faithful buffet the next morning, but if he was set on purchasing one I thought the long handle model would be better. With the short, plastic spoon his fingers would get covered in food bits when eating from the freeze-dried bags. He took my advice, or maybe he flipped a coin. . . either way Hugh ended up taking ownership of the long-handled metal spoon and would bemoan the burden of having to carry it for the remainder of the trip.

You can see how thrilled Hugh is holding the spoon in this picture. Especially while Patrick taunts him by twirling his titanium spoon with minimal effort. :)

GP__0322.JPG

That concludes day one. Day two is where things start to get a little crazy.

Day Two: Tuesday, September 13, 2022.

Today's goal was to navigate our way from Wrangler Lake to campsite 4B1 at Joseph's Coat Hot Springs. As you can see from the map below there is no official NPS trail that directly connects these two areas. . . so we chose to blaze our own. Hugh and I had originally intended to make a side trip to Dewdrop Lake, but we had to cut that part out in order to make it to Joseph's Coat before nightfall. There is always next year. Or the year after. :)

Wapiti to Joseph's Coat Map.png

A hint of color at Sunrise over Wrangler Lake.

0O7A0832.JPG

Luckily all of our food did not snap the bear pole in half overnight. The height of the pole at Wapiti is taller than others I've used. . . I had just enough rope to hang my food bag.

0O7A0836.JPG

I knew I was having biscuits and gravy this morning. . . but what to drink? :thinking:

0O7A0838.JPG

I opted for the Hot Chocolate with Marshmallows. :thumbsup:

0O7A0839.JPG

After breakfast/breaking camp we set off into the woods with a heading towards Sour Creek.

0O7A0845.JPG

We quickly ran into our first obstacle. You can see the path of least resistance leads us directly to this large bison. The bison was giving Hugh the eye so we went around him vs. making him go around us. Smart move on our part I'd say.

0O7A0847.JPG

We emerged from the trees to find ourselves having a "Gladiator" walking thru the wheat field moment.

0O7A0852.JPG

Sour Creek straight ahead!

0O7A0853.JPG

Another crossing of Sour Creek was needed. I chose the direct route while Hugh, Cody, and Patrick crossed a log downstream.

0O7A0855.JPG

Sour Creek winds thru trees and meadows at the base of a large hill that was to our right.

0O7A0856.JPG

Hugh capturing the moment.

0O7A0858.JPG

The creek banked right up to the forest in many areas and a bushwack thru the trees was necessary.

0O7A0859.JPG0O7A0869.JPG

0O7A0865.JPG

Other areas were open and much more forgiving to the foot.

0O7A0861.JPG

0O7A0862.JPG

After a morning of steady hiking we reached our first landmark: Bog Creek. We stopped just upstream of where Bog Creek and Sour Creek meet for a rest. I was impressed with the amount of downfall in Bog Creek -- no easy walk up the stream bed here.

0O7A0873.JPG

Part of this year's report will include some video links. Here is a quick one from our arrival at Bog Creek.

Bog Creek holds the honor of hosting one of my favorite pictures from this year's trip. Patrick was in protection mode. . . the question is who is he protecting Cody and I from. . . bears or Hugh? :roflmao:

0O7A0875A.JPG

For the record that is not a heavy spoon in his mouth.

Sufficiently rested, we hoisted our packs and kept moving. It was at this juncture that the terrain would dictate our path forward. Bog Creek was littered with downfall, so there was no way to navigate up the creek bed. Steep hillsides flanked both sides of Bog Creek and our only choice was to go up, so up we went on the Western side of the creek.

The pictures do not convey just how steep the terrain was. Or at least how steep it seemed to be. :)

0O7A0877.JPG

0O7A0879.JPG

It did not take long for me to start huffing and puffing to try and extract as much oxygen as I could out of the thin air. We climbed into the 8000 feet range -- a bit of a difference from the 1000 feet I was used to back home. I would look up, focus on a tree, rock, etc. and give it all I had to get to that point. Then I would stop for 10 seconds or so to catch my breath. This was all while still climbing over down trees and doing my best not to tumble down the hillside.

A hazy view down into the valley that holds Sour Creek.

0O7A0881.JPG

The terrain did level out eventually. . .

0O7A0883.JPG

But the number of down trees never decreased.

0O7A0884.JPG

Bog Creek flows thru a nice little canyon. I don't like heights, so I did not dare get close to the edge to look down.

0O7A0887.JPG

The canyon edge did have fewer trees and that allowed for some easier walking.

0O7A0888.JPG

A cool piece of obsidian on the ground.

0O7A0889.JPG

Eventually we saw light at the end of the tunnel of trees in the form of bleached ground along the banks of Bog Creek.

0O7A0892.JPG

The next portion of our day's hike -- as we walked along Bog Creek -- was one of the things I enjoyed most about this year's trip. I had contemplated visiting this area for a number of years and was quite pleased to see the area in person. The overcast sky gave way to a little sunshine as we progressed and that helped put some blue back on the horizon.

0O7A0894.JPG

Looking upstream.

0O7A0897.JPG

Looking downstream to Hugh, Cody, and Patrick. In hindsight we probably should have wandered downstream a bit to see what was around that corner, but we were burning daylight so upstream we went. There is always next year. Or the year after.

0O7A0898.JPG

As one progresses up Bog Creek hot springs become more numerous along the banks.

0O7A0899.JPG

A look back downstream.

0O7A0900.JPG

The main channel of Bog Creek continues to the right of the central clump of trees. We followed what looked like thermal runoff up to the left.

0O7A0902.JPG

The volume of water on this tributary was much less, but much more colorful.

0O7A0903.JPG

The water put off a good amount of heat as well!

0O7A0905.JPG

A closer look at the thermal creek bed.

0O7A0906.JPG

An even closer look. Hot water was bubbling from the hole in the ground just above the dark brown streak.

0O7A0907.JPG

A lot of the next group of pictures will look very similar. . . but I like thermal stuff so I'm posting them. :)

More thermal creek bed.

0O7A0908.JPG

The thermal regions eventually take over the hillsides along the little creek.

0O7A0909.JPG

This area looked dormant but still had plenty of yellow sulfur vents gently letting off steam.

0O7A0910.JPG

The colors of the earth and pines complement each other nicely.

0O7A0913.JPG

Zoomed in on several of the sulfur caves.

0O7A0916.JPG

These guys don't look too impressed. . . but how could they not be?

0O7A0917.JPG

This appeared to be the most active area in terms of thermal features. I've read that the features around Bog Creek are very acid with a potential pH of 1 so I kept my distance even though I was eager to get a closer look.

0O7A0918.JPG

Look at that steam. . . so tempting to see where it is coming from!

0O7A0919.JPG

Wide view of the thermal hillside.

0O7A0921.JPG

We would work our way up a hill opposite the thermal area for a lunch break.

0O7A0923.JPG

As we climbed the hill a better view was available of the thermal "bowl" below us.

0O7A0925.JPG

Still climbing.

0O7A0926.JPG

A look back down the thermal valley.

0O7A0927.JPG

In case you did not get enough of Bog Creek from the pictures, here is a video of the creek and thermal areas that I pieced together. Don't judge me on my cinematography and editing skills. . . I'm a novice at this sort of stuff.

So that brings us to lunch. I know I was a little tired by this time and I bet Patrick and Cody were too. Hugh never gets tired, but he does need to stop and apply sunscreen now and again, so it was a win for everyone. We found ourselves a nice sitting area and took a well-deserved rest. This is what the scene looked like. I did not realize Hugh's legs were sprouting out of my ear.

GP__0331.JPG

Luckily, I always take a second picture for good measure. :thumbsup:

GP__0332.JPG

You'll notice Patrick looking a little uneasy in that previous image. His appearance is not without just cause. You see, by this time all of us were beginning to feel the weight of the extra food we had packed with us, and everyone was offering up to the group some of the denser items from their pantry to try and lighten the load going forward. Except for Hugh that is. He has hiked with me long enough now to know that I always pack extra, so he compensates by packing less and takes advantage of my overindulgence.

Patrick decided to make himself a burrito. A little bit of everything went into that burrito, and before long it was larger than anything coming out of a Chipotle. Here he is eagerly taking his first bite.

0O7A0929.JPG

Patrick kept biting and chewing. I think Hugh was starting to feel uneasy.

0O7A0931.JPG

A close up of the contents of the burrito.

0O7A0933.JPG

I believe at this moment Patrick is rethinking his choices. Either that or he is wishing he had some sauce. :p Cody was still trying to peddle his energy bars at this time, so I ate one.

0O7A0932.JPG

Patrick, feeling the grit of smashed up Cheeze-its and almonds as they scratched their way down his esophagus.

0O7A0934.JPG

I would have liked to hang out at the thermal area the rest of the afternoon, but there was a long way to go to get to our camp for the night. Once everyone had sufficiently snacked and hydrated themselves, we headed off into the trees once more. There was another small thermal region Northwest of Bog Creek I had noticed on Google Earth and Hugh was gracious enough to plot us a path to it. It did not take long to reach; we emerged from the trees to find this bubbling hot spring. You had a preview of it on the little video from earlier. If you managed to watch the entire video that is. ;)

0O7A0937.JPG

0O7A0940.JPG

The hot spring had a much cooler neighbor.

0O7A0946.JPG

Hugh's course took us past several areas of somewhat dormant thermal ground.

0O7A0948.JPG

0O7A0958.JPG

Then it was back into the trees towards the large pond South of the Moss Creek backcountry campsite.

0O7A0961.JPG

The next couple of miles were rather woodsy, so I did not take many pictures. We did come across this interesting small hillside spring.

0O7A0962.JPG

Not much of a view going forward. No offense Hugh and Cody.

0O7A0965.JPG

A little open relief as we neared the pond.

0O7A0968.JPG

Small pond visible thru the trees. Hugh had planned this as a potential water filling point, but the shore was too mucky to allow access to good water.

0O7A0972.JPG

Hugh liked this pond enough to have his picture taken by it. It had everything he looked for in a stagnant body of water. :)

0O7A0973.JPG

The next landmark after the pond was actually the Wapiti Lake Trail. Psychologically it was nice to encounter the trail even though we simply crossed over it -- at least we knew we were travelling in the correct direction. The trail has its own burden of downfall to deal with it seems.

0O7A0975.JPG

The campsite at Joseph's Coat Hot Springs has no official trail leading to it. Lucky for us Hugh has his trusty GPS to lead the way. An @scatman adventure cannot be labeled as "epic" unless there is the occasional incidence of hemorrhage.

0O7A0981.JPG

I'd say that Hugh led us back into the trees. . . but we never really left the forest since leaving the thermal areas.

0O7A0982.JPG

The occasional grassy patch was a walking treat.

0O7A0984.JPG

I could not tell if Hugh was just tired or if he was working on his macrophotography here. We just kept kicking him until he got up. :D

0O7A0985.JPG

When we did emerge from the forest our group found ourselves at a small tributary that drains into Broad Creek. Hugh's route took us North of our campsite so that we might get a look at Joseph's Coat this evening. Tomorrow's weather forecast called for rain and he was not sure what visibility would be like.

0O7A0987.JPG

The tributary had many small waterfalls. . .

0O7A0989.JPG

And thermal features associated with it.

0O7A0991.JPG

The trees gave way to open hillsides painted with color.

0O7A0993.JPG

0O7A0995.JPG

That is not a trail marker you see back there!

0O7A0999.JPG

0O7A1001.JPG

As the tributary approached Broad Creek the hillsides became even more colorful.

0O7A1002.JPG

Broad Creek on the right. The steam is rising from a vigorous hot spring. I think it is simply called "Spring Number 2."

0O7A1005.JPG

Our campsite is on the other side of those trees on top of the hill. I believe Patrick thought I was joking when I told him we had to climb the hill to get to camp.

0O7A1006.JPG

Patrick still not believing me at this point.

0O7A1007.JPG

Making my approach. Broad Creek is quite scenic here.

0O7A1008.JPG

Reality is setting in for Patrick. Cody is following me up the hill.

0O7A1009.JPG

A pleasant backdrop for @scatman in Mosey Mode.

0O7A1010.JPG

Almost there Patrick!

0O7A1011.JPG

Campsite 4B1 is not very well designated with signage. Luckily there is a large bison skull at the fire pit to guide you in.

0O7A1013.JPG

We quickly set up camp and by supper time it was dark. Hugh asked us why we set our tents up so close to the eating area. We told him that we thought it would be a better spot than near the elk carcass we passed on the way in. Hugh had not seen the carcass and had set his tent up not far from it. As far as I know he never did move his tent any closer to us. I guess he'd rather smell elk carcass than listen to me roll around on my sleeping pad all night. :)

0O7A1016.JPG

Day Two was an exhausting but enjoyable (for me!) day. Hugh and I were able to see some new-to-us territory. I already have a strong desire to go back and revisit some of the areas along Bog Creek -- perhaps in a way that is less intense that allows more time to take in the surroundings. I think Patrick and Cody were still happy to be along for the trip. They put in a good effort thus far and did very well considering what was asked of them. As Hugh would say, I believe Morale was still high at this point in the journey. :thumbsup:

With that we will end Part One of this grand adventure. There are still three days to go, but one or two of those days have slightly less pictures due to events I have yet to disclose. I'll leave you with one last view of Joseph's Coat and Broad Creek. . . hope you've enjoyed what you have seen so far.

0O7A1017.JPG

Last edited:
Not long after @scatman and I left Yellowstone in September of 2021 we began planning a trip for September 2022. He must have been desperate for company to let me follow him thru the wilderness again. . . I tend to pull him off course when we travel off-trail, but I like to think my charming wit and personality make up for my lack of compass. I've also been known to bribe my trail mates with tasty snacks so he may had taken that into consideration as well.

We bounced several ideas back and forth in terms of which region of the park to visit as well as what areas we'd like to explore. Hugh has probably been to Yellowstone over 500 times so it can be a challenge to find a place in the park he has not been to. For 2022 we focused on an area East of Canyon that held a lot of unknowns for the both of us. We reserved campsites for four nights: Night one at 4W1 -- Wrangler Lake. Night two at 4B1 -- Joseph's Coat Springs. Nights three and four at 4W2 --Wapiti Lake. My spot in the backcountry lottery was not very early, luckily for us no one else seems to want to visit these areas of the park and I had no problems reserving our campsites. :)

I made things even more interesting for Hugh this year as I'd be bringing along my brother-in-law (Patrick) and good friend (Cody). They have experience with hiking and camping but I think it is safe to say few people truly know what to expect when they accompany Hugh and I into the backcountry. It is also safe to say Hugh had no idea what he was getting into when it came to travelling with Patrick. I hate to spoil the ending but will let everyone know that we made it out alive. Perhaps mentally scarred, but alive. :p

Here is our story in pictures. I've divided the report up into two parts because of the number of photos taken (and I've only resized half the pictures so far). Our trip began on Monday, September 12, 2022 and concluded on Friday, September 16, 2022.

Day One: Monday September 12, 2022.

The goal today was to hike to backcountry campsite 4W1 at Wrangler Lake. This day was designed to be easy so that we might recover a bit from the prior day's 17 mile backcountry hike:

https://backcountrypost.com/threads...arnica-creek-meadows-september-11-2022.10486/

After an Old Faithful buffet breakfast and a somewhat time-consuming car shuttle the four of us found ourselves gearing up at the Wapiti Lake Trailhead. Because Hugh is one with nature a small butterfly (I think it might be a type of Fritillary) used his hand as a perch.

View attachment 115659View attachment 115660

We took the encounter as a good omen for things to come. . . of course it could have been nothing more than Hugh having some leftover syrup on his thumb from breakfast.

Wapiti Lake Trailhead Map. Because we did not want the day to be too easy we followed the Sour Creek Trail down to Sour Creek. There is a small waterfall just to the East of where the trail meets the creek. After checking it out we crossed the sage flat until reconnecting with the Wapiti Lake Trail.

View attachment 115662

An optimistic group at the Wapiti Lake Trailhead. From left to right: @scatman , Cody, @TractorDoc , @CajunPoncho (Patrick).

View attachment 115661

Cody and Patrick getting off to a good start.

View attachment 115663

View attachment 115664

Hugh made sure we did not wander off the trail.

View attachment 115665

A little haze hovered over the valley this afternoon.

View attachment 115666

View attachment 115667

Patrick and Cody's lead eventually disappeared. Something about me having the map/directions caused them to fall back.

View attachment 115668

GoPro Pic on the trail while waiting for Hugh to catch up. Look how everyone is smiling! :)

View attachment 115676

Normal people would follow the Wrangler Lake Trail to get to Wrangler Lake. We took a right (went straight) instead.

View attachment 115669

Our destination was somewhere in those distant trees.

View attachment 115670

After a slightly hot hike we encountered Sour Creek.

View attachment 115671

Instead of crossing the creek we followed the trees to the left. The ground suggested the waterfall is no secret and that many others had made their way to it before us.

View attachment 115672

A few minutes later a break in the trees revealed a refreshing oasis.

View attachment 115673

We were only a couple miles in but the walk thru Hayden Valley was open, exposed, and hot. The surroundings of the waterfall were much more comfortable -- even if it was just psychological.

View attachment 115674

Patrick thinking of taking a swim.

View attachment 115675

Group Shot.

View attachment 115677

Hugh told us we could not go swimming; he said something about us contaminating the park's water supply o_O so it was off to Wrangler Lake instead.

Heading East and up the sage flat towards the Wrangler Lake Trail.

View attachment 115678

Sour Creek meandered to our right.

View attachment 115679

Walking the line between sage and marshy meadow.

View attachment 115689

We followed the low ridge you can see working its way in from the left.

View attachment 115680

Bones.

View attachment 115681

After about three quarters of a mile of off trail travel we were back on the Wrangler Lake Trail and encountered a small stream crossing.

View attachment 115682

It was early in the trip, so pictures were taken of the water crossing. This would be good practice for the days to come. ;)

View attachment 115683 View attachment 115684 View attachment 115685

Next, a more significant crossing of Sour Creek was necessary to reach Wrangler Lake. This crossing involved a change of footwear.

Considering our options.

View attachment 115686

Chilly water felt good on the feet.

View attachment 115687

Its deeper than it looks. :)

View attachment 115688

Ahhh, Nature. I don't know why, but all I can think of is Cousin Eddy's toilet emptying scene from "Christmas Vacation" when I see Patrick standing across Sour Creek in this picture. Good thing he is not holding a hose. :lol:

View attachment 115691

Looking West towards the Yellowstone River.

View attachment 115690

After a short break to let our feet dry we were back on the trail.

View attachment 115692

Another interesting butterfly. I do not know if it chose to visit Hugh's sticky fingers.

View attachment 115693

Patrick and I hiked this trail several years ago and we saw a coyote hunting for ground vermin in this meadow. No coyote today.

View attachment 115694

Wrangler Lake!

View attachment 115695

Campsite 4W1 is nestled in the trees on the shore of the lake.

View attachment 115696

4W1's marker could use some new fasteners.

View attachment 115706

Camp was set up quickly. This would be the closest Hugh would ever place his tent to mine (foreground). The sounds of me rolling around on a crinkly air mattress may have caused him to choose more distant sites for the rest of the trip. :)

View attachment 115697

Cody investigating Patrick's setup. Patrick claimed that he was going to be Mr. Ultralight during the planning stages of this trip. He even went so far as to cut the handle off his toothbrush. As you can imagine it was quite a surprise to us when we heard a small fan inflating his air mattress. . . I suppose one can only sacrifice so much. :D

View attachment 115698

Sun getting low in the sky over lily-pad covered Wrangler Lake. There was no temptation to take a swim here as the muck covered bottom would have been knee deep at a minimum.

View attachment 115699

Group photo from supper at Wrangler Lake. It is difficult not to notice the giant utensil in Hugh's right hand. . . that is the infamous "Heavy Spoon" that has had mention in some of the other topics on this forum. For those that do not know, Hugh claims he forgot his titanium spoon when he wedged it in a log during lunch at the headwaters of Alum Creek on our epic day hike. Personally, I feel he planted the spoon in the log the way an explorer plants his flag in a new territory -- claiming it as his own and leaving it for future travelers to find. Whatever his reasoning he was out some cutlery so that evening we stopped at the Old Faithful gift shop to find a replacement. All he could find was a short, plastic spoon or this longer handled metal one. I recommended he borrow a spoon from the Old Faithful buffet the next morning, but if he was set on purchasing one I thought the long handle model would be better. With the short, plastic spoon his fingers would get covered in food bits when eating from the freeze-dried bags. He took my advice, or maybe he flipped a coin. . . either way Hugh ended up taking ownership of the long-handled metal spoon and would bemoan the burden of having to carry it for the remainder of the trip.

You can see how thrilled Hugh is holding the spoon in this picture. Especially while Patrick taunts him by twirling his titanium spoon with minimal effort. :)

View attachment 115700

That concludes day one. Day two is where things start to get a little crazy.

Day Two: Tuesday, September 13, 2022.

Today's goal was to navigate our way from Wrangler Lake to campsite 4B1 at Joseph's Coat Hot Springs. As you can see from the map below there is no official NPS trail that directly connects these two areas. . . so we chose to blaze our own. Hugh and I had originally intended to make a side trip to Dewdrop Lake, but we had to cut that part out in order to make it to Joseph's Coat before nightfall. There is always next year. Or the year after. :)

View attachment 115712

A hint of color at Sunrise over Wrangler Lake.

View attachment 115701

Luckily all of our food did not snap the bear pole in half overnight. The height of the pole at Wapiti is taller than others I've used. . . I had just enough rope to hang my food bag.

View attachment 115702

I knew I was having biscuits and gravy this morning. . . but what to drink? :thinking:

View attachment 115703

I opted for the Hot Chocolate with Marshmallows. :thumbsup:

View attachment 115704

After breakfast/breaking camp we set off into the woods with a heading towards Sour Creek.

View attachment 115707

We quickly ran into our first obstacle. You can see the path of least resistance leads us directly to this large bison. The bison was giving Hugh the eye so we went around him vs. making him go around us. Smart move on our part I'd say.

View attachment 115708

We emerged from the trees to find ourselves having a "Gladiator" walking thru the wheat field moment.

View attachment 115709

Sour Creek straight ahead!

View attachment 115710

Another crossing of Sour Creek was needed. I chose the direct route while Hugh, Cody, and Patrick crossed a log downstream.

View attachment 115713

Sour Creek winds thru trees and meadows at the base of a large hill that was to our right.

View attachment 115714

Hugh capturing the moment.

View attachment 115715

The creek banked right up to the forest in many areas and a bushwack thru the trees was necessary.

View attachment 115716View attachment 115720

View attachment 115719

Other areas were open and much more forgiving to the foot.

View attachment 115717

View attachment 115718

After a morning of steady hiking we reached our first landmark: Bog Creek. We stopped just upstream of where Bog Creek and Sour Creek meet for a rest. I was impressed with the amount of downfall in Bog Creek -- no easy walk up the stream bed here.

View attachment 115722

Part of this year's report will include some video links. Here is a quick one from our arrival at Bog Creek.

Bog Creek holds the honor of hosting one of my favorite pictures from this year's trip. Patrick was in protection mode. . . the question is who is he protecting Cody and I from. . . bears or Hugh? :roflmao:

View attachment 115723

For the record that is not a heavy spoon in his mouth.

Sufficiently rested, we hoisted our packs and kept moving. It was at this juncture that the terrain would dictate our path forward. Bog Creek was littered with downfall, so there was no way to navigate up the creek bed. Steep hillsides flanked both sides of Bog Creek and our only choice was to go up, so up we went on the Western side of the creek.

The pictures do not convey just how steep the terrain was. Or at least how steep it seemed to be. :)

View attachment 115725

View attachment 115726

It did not take long for me to start huffing and puffing to try and extract as much oxygen as I could out of the thin air. We climbed into the 8000 feet range -- a bit of a difference from the 1000 feet I was used to back home. I would look up, focus on a tree, rock, etc. and give it all I had to get to that point. Then I would stop for 10 seconds or so to catch my breath. This was all while still climbing over down trees and doing my best not to tumble down the hillside.

A hazy view down into the valley that holds Sour Creek.

View attachment 115727

The terrain did level out eventually. . .

View attachment 115728

But the number of down trees never decreased.

View attachment 115729

Bog Creek flows thru a nice little canyon. I don't like heights, so I did not dare get close to the edge to look down.

View attachment 115730

The canyon edge did have fewer trees and that allowed for some easier walking.

View attachment 115731

A cool piece of obsidian on the ground.

View attachment 115732

Eventually we saw light at the end of the tunnel of trees in the form of bleached ground along the banks of Bog Creek.

View attachment 115733

The next portion of our day's hike -- as we walked along Bog Creek -- was one of the things I enjoyed most about this year's trip. I had contemplated visiting this area for a number of years and was quite pleased to see the area in person. The overcast sky gave way to a little sunshine as we progressed and that helped put some blue back on the horizon.

View attachment 115735

Looking upstream.

View attachment 115844

Looking downstream to Hugh, Cody, and Patrick. In hindsight we probably should have wandered downstream a bit to see what was around that corner, but we were burning daylight so upstream we went. There is always next year. Or the year after.

View attachment 115845

As one progresses up Bog Creek hot springs become more numerous along the banks.

View attachment 115846

A look back downstream.

View attachment 115847

The main channel of Bog Creek continues to the right of the central clump of trees. We followed what looked like thermal runoff up to the left.

View attachment 115848

The volume of water on this tributary was much less, but much more colorful.

View attachment 115849

The water put off a good amount of heat as well!

View attachment 115850

A closer look at the thermal creek bed.

View attachment 115851

An even closer look. Hot water was bubbling from the hole in the ground just above the dark brown streak.

View attachment 115852

A lot of the next group of pictures will look very similar. . . but I like thermal stuff so I'm posting them. :)

More thermal creek bed.

View attachment 115853

The thermal regions eventually take over the hillsides along the little creek.

View attachment 115854

This area looked dormant but still had plenty of yellow sulfur vents gently letting off steam.

View attachment 115855

The colors of the earth and pines complement each other nicely.

View attachment 115856

Zoomed in on several of the sulfur caves.

View attachment 115857

These guys don't look too impressed. . . but how could they not be?

View attachment 115858

This appeared to be the most active area in terms of thermal features. I've read that the features around Bog Creek are very acid with a potential pH of 1 so I kept my distance even though I was eager to get a closer look.

View attachment 115859

Look at that steam. . . so tempting to see where it is coming from!

View attachment 115860

Wide view of the thermal hillside.

View attachment 115861

We would work our way up a hill opposite the thermal area for a lunch break.

View attachment 115862

As we climbed the hill a better view was available of the thermal "bowl" below us.

View attachment 115863

Still climbing.

View attachment 115864

A look back down the thermal valley.

View attachment 115865

In case you did not get enough of Bog Creek from the pictures, here is a video of the creek and thermal areas that I pieced together. Don't judge me on my cinematography and editing skills. . . I'm a novice at this sort of stuff.

So that brings us to lunch. I know I was a little tired by this time and I bet Patrick and Cody were too. Hugh never gets tired, but he does need to stop and apply sunscreen now and again, so it was a win for everyone. We found ourselves a nice sitting area and took a well-deserved rest. This is what the scene looked like. I did not realize Hugh's legs were sprouting out of my ear.

View attachment 115887

Luckily, I always take a second picture for good measure. :thumbsup:

View attachment 115888

You'll notice Patrick looking a little uneasy in that previous image. His appearance is not without just cause. You see, by this time all of us were beginning to feel the weight of the extra food we had packed with us, and everyone was offering up to the group some of the denser items from their pantry to try and lighten the load going forward. Except for Hugh that is. He has hiked with me long enough now to know that I always pack extra, so he compensates by packing less and takes advantage of my overindulgence.

Patrick decided to make himself a burrito. A little bit of everything went into that burrito, and before long it was larger than anything coming out of a Chipotle. Here he is eagerly taking his first bite.

View attachment 115876

Patrick kept biting and chewing. I think Hugh was starting to feel uneasy.

View attachment 115877

A close up of the contents of the burrito.

View attachment 115879

I believe at this moment Patrick is rethinking his choices. Either that or he is wishing he had some sauce. :p Cody was still trying to peddle his energy bars at this time, so I ate one.

View attachment 115878

Patrick, feeling the grit of smashed up Cheeze-its and almonds as they scratched their way down his esophagus.

View attachment 115880

I would have liked to hang out at the thermal area the rest of the afternoon, but there was a long way to go to get to our camp for the night. Once everyone had sufficiently snacked and hydrated themselves, we headed off into the trees once more. There was another small thermal region Northwest of Bog Creek I had noticed on Google Earth and Hugh was gracious enough to plot us a path to it. It did not take long to reach; we emerged from the trees to find this bubbling hot spring. You had a preview of it on the little video from earlier. If you managed to watch the entire video that is. ;)

View attachment 115881

View attachment 115882

The hot spring had a much cooler neighbor.

View attachment 115883

Hugh's course took us past several areas of somewhat dormant thermal ground.

View attachment 115884

View attachment 115885

Then it was back into the trees towards the large pond South of the Moss Creek backcountry campsite.

View attachment 115886

The next couple of miles were rather woodsy, so I did not take many pictures. We did come across this interesting small hillside spring.

View attachment 115892

Not much of a view going forward. No offense Hugh and Cody.

View attachment 115893

A little open relief as we neared the pond.

View attachment 115894

Small pond visible thru the trees. Hugh had planned this as a potential water filling point, but the shore was too mucky to allow access to good water.

View attachment 115895

Hugh liked this pond enough to have his picture taken by it. It had everything he looked for in a stagnant body of water. :)

View attachment 115896

The next landmark after the pond was actually the Wapiti Lake Trail. Psychologically it was nice to encounter the trail even though we simply crossed over it -- at least we knew we were travelling in the correct direction. The trail has its own burden of downfall to deal with it seems.

View attachment 115897

The campsite at Joseph's Coat Hot Springs has no official trail leading to it. Lucky for us Hugh has his trusty GPS to lead the way. An @scatman adventure cannot be labeled as "epic" unless there is the occasional incidence of hemorrhage.

View attachment 115900

I'd say that Hugh led us back into the trees. . . but we never really left the forest since leaving the thermal areas.

View attachment 115901

The occasional grassy patch was a walking treat.

View attachment 115902

I could not tell if Hugh was just tired or if he was working on his macrophotography here. We just kept kicking him until he got up. :D

View attachment 115903

When we did emerge from the forest our group found ourselves at a small tributary that drains into Broad Creek. Hugh's route took us North of our campsite so that we might get a look at Joseph's Coat this evening. Tomorrow's weather forecast called for rain and he was not sure what visibility would be like.

View attachment 115918

The tributary had many small waterfalls. . .

View attachment 115919

And thermal features associated with it.

View attachment 115920

The trees gave way to open hillsides painted with color.

View attachment 115921

View attachment 115922

That is not a trail marker you see back there!

View attachment 115923

View attachment 115924

As the tributary approached Broad Creek the hillsides became even more colorful.

View attachment 115925

Broad Creek on the right. The steam is rising from a vigorous hot spring. I think it is simply called "Spring Number 2."

View attachment 115926

Our campsite is on the other side of those trees on top of the hill. I believe Patrick thought I was joking when I told him we had to climb the hill to get to camp.

View attachment 115927

Patrick still not believing me at this point.

View attachment 115928

Making my approach. Broad Creek is quite scenic here.

View attachment 115929

Reality is setting in for Patrick. Cody is following me up the hill.

View attachment 115930

A pleasant backdrop for @scatman in Mosey Mode.

View attachment 115931

Almost there Patrick!

View attachment 115932

Campsite 4B1 is not very well designated with signage. Luckily there is a large bison skull at the fire pit to guide you in.

View attachment 115933

We quickly set up camp and by supper time it was dark. Hugh asked us why we set our tents up so close to the eating area. We told him that we thought it would be a better spot than near the elk carcass we passed on the way in. Hugh had not seen the carcass and had set his tent up not far from it. As far as I know he never did move his tent any closer to us. I guess he'd rather smell elk carcass than listen to me roll around on my sleeping pad all night. :)

View attachment 115934

Day Two was an exhausting but enjoyable (for me!) day. Hugh and I were able to see some new-to-us territory. I already have a strong desire to go back and revisit some of the areas along Bog Creek -- perhaps in a way that is less intense that allows more time to take in the surroundings. I think Patrick and Cody were still happy to be along for the trip. They put in a good effort thus far and did very well considering what was asked of them. As Hugh would say, I believe Morale was still high at this point in the journey. :thumbsup:

With that we will end Part One of this grand adventure. There are still three days to go, but one or two of those days have slightly less pictures due to events I have yet to disclose. I'll leave you with one last view of Joseph's Coat and Broad Creek. . . hope you've enjoyed what you have seen so far.

View attachment 115935
Great scenery and descriptions. Thanks!

@TractorDoc , how long did it take you to hike from Wrangler Lake to Joseph’s Coat? And if you were to visit Bog Creek and it’s thermal areas, what might be your route?

Your photos are great! I love multi-part adventure stories … :)

And how different will Hugh’s version of this trip be? And will you including interviews with Cody and Patrick with their post trip thoughts?

@TractorDoc , how long did it take you to hike from Wrangler Lake to Joseph’s Coat? And if you were to visit Bog Creek and it’s thermal areas, what might be your route?

And how different will Hugh’s version of this trip be? And will you including interviews with Cody and Patrick with their post trip thoughts?

My version will lean towards the more accurate telling of our trek. :D

So, you're saying they're going to feature all your tumbles down the muddy stream banks while wearing a kilt?

@TractorDoc , how long did it take you to hike from Wrangler Lake to Joseph’s Coat?
My tracker app on Gaia GPS provided a time of 8 hours and 41 minutes. That was with rest breaks.

And if you were to visit Bog Creek and it’s thermal areas, what might be your route?
I can tell you there is no easy way to get there. An approach from the South would have to be something similar to what we accomplished. I suppose one could base camp at Moss Creek and attempt to drop in from the North, but you are walking thru miles and miles of forest before you get to see anything interesting. Downfall is present no matter which way one approaches. It will be a long day no matter the route.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

And how different will Hugh’s version of this trip be?
Apparently very different. See his quote below. :)
My version will lean towards the more accurate telling of our trek.

And will you including interviews with Cody and Patrick with their post trip thoughts?
I'm sure Patrick will speak for himself -- he has since joined the forum and is now known as @CajunPoncho .

Cody said he'd be interested in coming back with us again. . . but maybe if the intensity level was down a notch. I don't blame him this year. We spent a lot of our day moving from point A to B. I'd like to explore some of the more interesting side features next time.

Will there be a movie?
@Rockskipper -- Did you not watch the video? :p

Enjoying it so far... the idea of mentally scarring leaves me with a sense of foreboding.
Lots of great details and colors so far. I need to get to Yellowstone for sure.

So, you're saying they're going to feature all your tumbles down the muddy stream banks while wearing a kilt?

I think you might need to be the casting agent for this one Skipper.

Whose going to play Scatman? Clearly someone who is charming, dapper in a kilt, ruggedly handsome is a must of course, an edgy sense of humor helps, and perhaps light on his feet. You know, the strong silent type. :D I'm thinking a young Bob Redford would do the trick. You know by now that his friends can call him Bob, don't you? :) I think a young Bobby De Niro would make an excellent choice for @TractorDoc. :thumbsup: Yes, Bobby and I are friends too. Just drop my name and I'm sure he'll accept your offer. We need the Bobby from the Deer Hunter though, serious with leadership qualities. You know, helps his friends out when they are in a pickle, not kicking them when they are down so to speak. :D One shot!

I'll have to give some more thought to who will play Cody and Patrick in the film. I trust your instincts though, so if you have two people in mind, go for it. :thumbsup:

If I recall correctly, and that is a big if, we saw only one other person once we entered the backcountry, as we were nearing Wrangler Lake. Any character actor will do for that gentleman.

I don't want this filmed in Georgia, or Quebec. this needs to be made in Jellystone itself if it is to be believable to critics and audiences alike. Twist some arms in the Park Service to make it happen. I know you have pull in those circles. This just might be a blockbuster! I'll start working on my Oscar's speech immediately. :p Should I wear a kilt to the ceremony?

Well, well, well Mr. @TractorDoc, now that I've had 24 hours to digest this two day smorgasbord, I feel that it's time to set the record straight. :D

Great report Dave! You really need to write a book you know. Maybe after you get a few more Yellowstone trips under your belt, you'll have enough material to fill a good sized book. I can see it now - Yellowstone Tales on the best seller list. I know I'd purchase a copy - maybe even two. Of course, a signed copy would be treasured for the rest of my life. :) I could keep it between my Scatman bottle opener and my ceramic grizzly bear, bookended by two old Howard Eaton Trail Markers of course. :)

You've captured just about everything the first two days had to offer. You might mention the water from both Sour and Bog Creeks, as far as drinking from them was concerned.

I was so happy that our first day was a short one, because my body was very tired from our day hike the day before. You, Cody, and Patrick probably couldn't tell, but it is true. :) If it had been an 8 -10 mile day, I wouldn't have made it to Josephs Coat the next day. :moses: You guys would have had to bury me with my nonexistent shovel somewhere along Bog Creek. Or just tossed me into one of the acidic pools perhaps.

On my tent locations, I'm only looking for flat ground. Who I'm near or not near never enters the equation. Carcasses are a plus though, and not setting up in the food prep/eating area is in there somewhere. If you take the derivative of the square of the distance between the elk carcass and the official, established fire pit, you'll see I set up in the precise correct location on night number two. Grizzlies would be confused by the scent of the carcass and the previous campers food scents being equidistant from my tent. It's similar to an eye of a hurricane you see. No Scatman scent in the eye of the scents so to speak. :D

Speaking of tired. Do you know how much energy it took to hold up that heavy spoon in order to get the group shot on the first night? Calories were burned my friend. If the spoon had fallen to my left, it would have crushed @CajunPoncho's knee. Heavy spoons are not to be trifled with.

Your shot of Wrangler Lake on our second morning is a keeper. It almost makes me want to spend another night at the lake. Be sure and put that one in the book.

On to day number two.

The bison blocking our path to our Sour Creek approach meant business. Normally, as you know, I just wave them off, but just as the one we ran across in Hayden Valley with @wsp_scott last year, this one deserved our respect, and thus a wide berth.

I knew the portion of Sour Creek we hiked and Bog Creek were going to be rough, after my trek down Sour Creek to Wrangler years ago. No way around it, but it was nice to know that I could still get it done. That might have been my last major bushwhack. :( Time will tell I guess.

I think that Patrick is protecting you guys from the ghosts of downfall present, past and future. I've already made my peace with the ghosts, but it can be a long process. A few more rounds of bushwhacking and you three won't feel the need for protection anymore. :)

The climb out of Bog Creek was grueling. I was this close to giving in to the heavy spoon on that climb I'll tell you.

The thermal areas in the vicinity of Bog Creek were nice to visit. I'm guessing that not too many people work their way back in there. I sure would like to see Dewdrop Lake before I die though. Maybe next time? It seems as though it is slipping from my reach for some reason. :scatman:

The pictures of Patrick dealing with his burrito just make me laugh out loud. His, "It needs some sauce!" still makes me chuckle to myself when I think about it. Your description it is wonderful.

I must say that unnamed pond 8512 might be the best looking pond in Yellowstone. A day by that pond would do wonders for my health no doubt.

I agree 100% that it was good to see the Wapiti Lake Trail, even if our day wasn't yet complete at that point. A mental boost for sure.

You'd think that I'd take better macro shots with all my training being so close to the ground. I guess I'll never learn. :) I guess a thank you is in order for kicking me back to consciousness. :D You know the ground comes up fast, especially if you are carrying a heavy spoon.

Jospeh's Coat Springs was as spectacular as I remembered it. I really enjoyed the campsite that is close to the thermal area. It was the first time I had stayed there. I actually thought the whole Broad Creek area was worth our time, not just the part that flows through Joseph's Coat.

Dave, I'm going to fast until you put up Part II to this trip, so don't let me lose too much weight, eh. Up to 20 pounds is okay. :D

Excellent job!

Last edited:
As Casting Director, I prefer to use local talent as opposed to blockbuster big name knuckle draggers (not referring to Bob or Bobby, of course). It's much cheaper. Therefore, cast will be:

@scatman playing Scatman
@TractorDoc playing Tractor Doc
@CajunPoncho playing Patrick
and Cody playing Cody

We won't need to hire an acting coach, as I think most of the cast are probably already pretty good actors in their own right (probably from necessity given what they have to deal with on a daily basis just from their own foibles and personality traits etc.). The extra gentleman who so casually walked through the scene, never knowing how close he came to mayhem and disaster, will be played by the park super Cam Sholly (he wants to keep an eye on things).

Now for funding (it's going to take a lot of cash to keep the casting director from quitting, plus we need things like walkie-talkies and a camera or two, though I could use my old VHS camcorder if I can find it):

We will hire a Funding Director to set up things like a Gofundme and such and whatnot. I nominate @Nick, as he seems good at getting things going and then heading for the hills and disappearing (which is fine as long as he doesn't take the money and might actually be a good thing so no questions can be asked).

We'll need a Location Director, for which I nominate @Outdoor_Fool, who seems to know every possible setting in the Western U.S.

And of course we'll need a Directing Attorney, which would be best served by @Jackson.

Photography Directors would be @Titans and @Yvonne, who are good at making places look even better than they are. I would add @IntrepidXJ but he's probably out taking photos somewhere.

@Janice will be the Psychology Director, as she's good at making everyone feel happy, and @regehr will be Computer Director and in charge of anything digital. Lest he feel disappointed and passed over, @Udink will be Petroglyph/Geocaching Director in case we see anything of that nature. @gnwatts will be Director of Canoes and Hypothermia, just in case.

There are probably another 20 or 30 positions to fill, so we need a Fill These Positions Director, which would be @Bob, who has an infinite well to draw on for detecting BS and thereby preventing posers from coming on board just to post things on Grammy to be cool by association and not really contribute anything.

There's more, but I need to take this call from Bob R.

ETA We'll need a Kilt Director since kilts will be required to stay in the spirit of the thing.

Last edited: