Yellowstone's Thorofare, Headwaters of Thorofare Creek, Majo Pass, Younts Peak, Bob's Canyon, and Cub Creek - August 9, 2023 - Days 1 through 6

I'm sensing a "Return to the Wilderness" in the works.

@wsp_scott and @TheMountainRabbit can run ahead to scout for threats while @Bob @scatman and myself move forward in mosey-mode taking pictures of waterfalls along the way.

The epic potential may just be without limits. :D

I'm not sure you have a mosey mode. :)

I need some details on this. How many days, mileage, etc..?

I think the photo of @Bob spread-eagled at the top of the pass is one of the best photos ever. Because if I had been on that adventure I would have collapsed right beside him.

Sometimes I feel that you characters are masochists.

I certainly could sympathize with how Bob felt. I was afraid if I laid down, I'd never get back up. :)

I forgot to mention in my report, that while we were waiting for @Bob and @wsp_scott, a golden eagle landed just on the hillside on the southern side of the pass, apparently hunting for a rodent. It took off before I could get my camera to take a picture of it. Still, it was one of the highlights of the trip for me.

Scatman, absolutely loved this trip report and all of the photos. Absolutely Great! Thanks for posting!!!! And the shots of those bears ... absolutely terrific!

Now you are going to hangup the backpack, as concerning long trips. Good Grief! How can you. People like us can't stop. Personally am very very very seriously considering going back to the Thorofare and the Absarokas next summer with just wandering about and camping like in the old days. Have a bad ankle these days but can still walk. Scatman, yes we get older but just an excuse to just slow down and really really enjoy the country. Plus using the old hunter gatherer skills and live off and with the land comes really handy on long trips.

If it is 6 or 7 miles or just even 4 or 5 miles, still Great if you are really enjoying the country. An old hiker named Finis Mitchell who hiked all over the Wind Rivers never gave up. Remember seeing him oneday in Rock Springs when he was in the Upper 80s. I asked him if he was still hiking. He said Yes but sometimes then in the 80s just a few miles each day. Much to still see and experience.

As for myself as of late ... in the early and mid summer back in Jackson and Grand Teton NP. Then in late summer all over the Washington Coast biking, hiking, and birding from the San Juan Islands to Sequim, to the coast and down to Cape Disappointment at the mouth of the Columbia ... 40 days on the coast. And now just got done with being at Rabbitstick 35 near Rexburg ... thiese old hunter gatherer skills comes really handy as we get older Hugh, less in the backpack with letting the land provide, and still doing long trips.

Again Great Trip Report and can't wait for the second part. How much do I miss that country. Looks like you had a most wonderful trip. In all of your trek, do think you could easily have extended it for weeksss. Keep posting, keep hiking kilt wearing man, with Enjoying Life. Again Loved It and Best To You!!!!

Last edited:
Great TR! It looks like you all have a great time together. And thanks so much @scatman for the "what's under the kilt" photo :roflmao:, classic!
Awesome bear tracks and Grizzly viewings! It's not every day you spot a Grizzly just before bathing :)
Out front on boat- @TractorDoc knows where the best seat is.

I don't understand how you and @TractorDoc can hike with a 55-60 lbs backpack. Guess you are strong & very fit! Do you each carry 2 gallons of whiskey to get to the 55-60lbs?

Great TR! It looks like you all have a great time together. And thanks so much @scatman for the "what's under the kilt" photo :roflmao:, classic!
Awesome bear tracks and Grizzly viewings! It's not every day you spot a Grizzly just before bathing :)
Out front on boat- @TractorDoc knows where the best seat is.

I don't understand how you and @TractorDoc can hike with a 55-60 lbs backpack. Guess you are strong & very fit! Do you each carry 2 gallons of whiskey to get to the 55-60lbs?

Probably my smell that sent the grizzly running in the first place. :)

@TractorDoc is assigned to carry in the whiskey. When the whiskey is gone, we load his pack with rocks to compensate for the lost weight. :D

Do you each carry 2 gallons of whiskey to get to the 55-60lbs?
I burdened myself with an extra 10lbs. of cameras/extra batteries/power bank this year. Food weighed in at 18lbs. Hugh will tell you that I pack too many pairs of socks, so I'm sure the weight adds up there.

I left the camp chair and whiskey behind on this trip. Don't think I was not tempted though. . . I bought a bottle of Jack Daniels in Bozeman that stayed in the rental car when I realized how much my pack was already going to weigh without it. :)

On our 10 day trip into the Winds this year I packed only pemmican for food. My food (not including my ursack) was about 6.5 pounds. That was about 22,000 calories worth of pemmican. We go heavy in other areas, though, so I'm far from the ultralight category.

On our 10 day trip into the Winds this year I packed only pemmican for food. My food (not including my ursack) was about 6.5 pounds. That was about 22,000 calories worth of pemmican. We go heavy in other areas, though, so I'm far from the ultralight category.

So you had 0.65 of a pound of pemmican a day? Approximately 2200 calories per day? What does it taste like?

I'd say it's an acquired taste. I've been eating it for a few years now, and I still haven't acquired the taste. I don't season it with anything but a little bit of salt. I really can't come up with anything to explain what it tastes like. It's nothing like anything else I've ever eaten. This was the first trip I've eaten it exclusively. I will say that by the end it wasn't as much of a chore.

I'd say it's an acquired taste. I've been eating it for a few years now, and I still haven't acquired the taste. I don't season it with anything but a little bit of salt. I really can't come up with anything to explain what it tastes like. It's nothing like anything else I've ever eaten. This was the first trip I've eaten it exclusively. I will say that by the end it wasn't as much of a chore.

So on your Winds trip, when you ate this exclusively, did you have a piece for breakfast, then another for lunch, and a final piece for dinner? Or did you just snack on it throughout the day?

I actually only ended up eating about 2/3 of it. I had full bars that were the full thousand calories each, and half bars. I'd usually have a half bar for breakfast, then another half on the trail if I felt like it, and another half or whole at dinner (if I skipped the mid-day). I never ate more than two full bars in a day though.

I actually only ended up eating about 2/3 of it. I had full bars that were the full thousand calories each, and half bars. I'd usually have a half bar for breakfast, then another half on the trail if I felt like it, and another half or whole at dinner (if I skipped the mid-day). I never ate more than two full bars in a day though.

And from a hunger standpoint, you were satisfied throughout the day at 1.5 to 2 bars a day?

Definitely. At home, I've eaten a meat only diet for about the last 10 months at home, which is why I went all pemmican this year. I didn't want to do anything out there that might upset my system. I only eat once or twice a day at home. It's also not like we were doing double digit miles every day. We had some tough days, but aside from 11 miles in, everything else was 7 or less. Just a lot of up and down.

Definitely. At home, I've eaten a meat only diet for about the last 10 months at home, which is why I went all pemmican this year. I didn't want to do anything out there that might upset my system. I only eat once or twice a day at home. It's also not like we were doing double digit miles every day. We had some tough days, but aside from 11 miles in, everything else was 7 or less. Just a lot of up and down.

Interesting. Thanks for the info.