Yellowstone/Tetons Help

Oh crap, my mistake on the Trails Illustrated map mileages. I pulled mileages off the GRTE website and wrote them on my map, in red even. Looks like you've found all the BCP locals to help you out.

One thing that surprises folks on their first exposure to altitude is how much the lack of o2 takes out of them. Hopefully, 10 miles/day is no problem for you but don't be surprised if it becomes a bit of an issue. I had a friend from VA meet me for some trips in the Yellowstone region (the park was closed, Sept 2013) and any climbs in the trail wore him down. One day, we made 5 miles. He was reasonably fit overall and his pack was only moderately heavy (40 pounds).

Google Earth also has trail mileages for NP's if you turn the layer on for it.

upload_2016-3-13_18-4-12.png

Thanks for all the maps and tips and suggestions everyone, been a little busy the last few days but I will for sure be looking into all of your suggestions and considering all of your ideas!

@Langdon Greene Yeah have never been so I for sure want to make it there while I'm so close. May have to take your idea though and do 2 or 3 days of day hikes and backpack for 4 in the Tetons.

@Outdoor_Fool Yeah the altitude is a concern of mine, so I have been thinking 10 miles was the max probably. I don't imagine the friends I get to go with me will be in as good of shape as I would want them to be lol

@HomerJ Ohh thanks for that tip, I'll have to check it out!

So I think I now have a good idea of the tip I would like to do. I'm looking at starting at the Death Canyon trail head and working my way up to Death Canyon Shelf and then taking the Continental Divide trail to Paintbrush Canyon and ending at either String Lake or Jenny Lake. I think doing this over 4 days would be good and should workout well. My main issue is that it looks like the only time one of my friends can go is mid-September so I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience in this part of the park during September and how the weather usually is.

Prior to the Tetons we're looking at spending 3 days in Yellowstone and doing some day hikes and the touristy thing, should be less crowded in September I would think.

But yeah, anyone have any thoughts on this route in mid September or in general? Thanks!

Like others have said, plan for the worst and hope for the best. The high ranges of WY can get snow at any time (I've been in a mid July blizzard in the Tetons) or it could be a balmy 70 at 10,000'. September is a very volatile month. Yeah, you'll have to pack more and maybe not use it, but packing less and needing it is worse.

One thing to note is that, while you could be snowed on, snow fields will likely be at their shallowest/non-existent in September. They will have had the whole summer to melt and won't be building back up yet. Unless you get snow around/during your trip you'll likely have dry trails.

Hope that 2 cents helps!

I've researched this extensively because I'm going on a similar trip during this same time (September 11-17). It can definitely snow during this time, but the chance is much greater that there will be ideal weather. Snow during this time does not stay around for more than a couple of days. There won't be any residual snow on the high passes like in early summer, so the trails will be in top shape. There won't be any crowds.

Overall, early-mid September is the best time to visit. It seems normal that there is a significant snow in the last week of September or early October, but mid September seems OK historically.

I guess both can cross our fingers that we get good weather. :)

AK09 & MM, I'm headed there early October. I'm counting on some snow but as MM said, it usually doesn't last too long that time of year, except on the high peaks and in the depositional (leeward) areas. I'll be in Yellowstone for a few days before the Tetons. If the big dump occurs before I start into the Tetons, I'll resort to Plan B, C, D, or E. If a dump occurs while I'm in the high country of the Tetons, I'll assess the options, and go from there. When I was younger, I used to love being out when the first big snows hit, even if it forced me down earlier than planned. Now, I still find it, what, invigorating or something similar, just not so awesome as it used to be. I do still enjoy figuring out what's next when the SHTF.

Alright thanks for the info, so I'll definitely have to invest in some warmer hiking clothes, last year in lake June in Glacier it was in the 90s, this will be a tad different ha. Anyone have any input on my choice of trail? I'm assuming we can set up camp anywhere in the "camping zones" or are there still areas that we have to stay? Also can we have fires at any of the sites, I'm assuming no, but just wondering? Thanks again everyone!

Also yeah, I'll keep my fingers crossed for all of us!

To give you a rough idea of what to expect, check out this website and look for the SNOTEL site west of GTNP (Grand Targhee). You can perform a customized search for whatever month or part of a month you want and include temps as well as snow depth, snow water equivalents and other data. A great site.

To give you a rough idea of what to expect, check out this website and look for the SNOTEL site west of GTNP (Grand Targhee). You can perform a customized search for whatever month or part of a month you want and include temps as well as snow depth, snow water equivalents and other data. A great site.
I second that. I looked back for the past few years to make a judgement on the weather. Great site.

We had HUGE snow the first week of October 2005. I drove through 3' of it getting to the Ranch's Drive in Camp near Brooks Lake.

Most years fall has some blips, but otherwise GLORIOUS weather.

Genez, don't forget a helmet for Middle.

........ Grand Targhee gets a lot of snow......

Thanks, I'll check it out!

Okay last question...maybe....Do you think it is necessary for me to put in for a permit now for the Teton trip? I think I would have to have it in by the 15th. Still not sure who is coming though so do you think I should be fine to just wing it?

I'm pretty sure you don't need to reserve permits for mid-September...
Just show up at the permit office early (8am) and get them.

Okay thanks, that's what I was thinking just wanted to confirm. Thanks!

@Absarokanaut - right on.

Ice axes, crampons and helmets are coming. Whether or not we actually need/use the first 2 are up to the conditions.

Welp I can't get a permit for the route starting at Death Canyon TH or starting at the Tram anyway, shows some of the sites are reserved. Guess we'll be going the walk in route.

Camp at fox Creek pass out of the park....right close to death cyn shelf

@Bob can you park a car overnight at the trailheads Teton National Park without having a backcountry permit? Because you can feasibly camp at Fox Creek pass, Alaska Basin, and perhaps the Granite Lakes and Bitch Creek to the north--all outside of the Park.

If not, where is the best place to park for this alternate "Teton Crest?"