XTherm vs XLite

Bobbiesworld626

Up hill sucks. Change my mind.
I am investing in my first hard core sleeping pad. After reading all of your lovely comments, it seems like there are two main contenders, XTherm and XLite. I HATE being cold, so I am leaning towards the XTherm. Despite its price tag, I don't see a legitimate reason to not go this route. The higher R-value, IMO, makes the extra 3oz worth it. Most of the comments I read are well over a year old, so any new feelings towards the two pads is welcomed. Or if you feel there is a better option out there, please let me know. But at this point in time, I think I'm team XTherm.

Things that might matter:
- stomach sleeper
- noise does not bother me.
- I hover at a whopping 5'2
- I REALLY hate being cold!!!
- I'm kinda rough with my gear.

K Thanks.

One other option is the "women's" version Neo-air. I dont know what its name is, but it's the one that is SOOPER bright yellow. It's shorter (5'9" I believe) than the regular xlite (the more orangey yellow) but the same weight, because they've added in a little extra insulation. When my current xlite dies, I'm switching to the women's one because I don't need the full 6' length and extra free warmth is nice.

I sleep relatively cold, and whenever temps are expected below about 35f, I switch to my xtherm. A couple extra ounces for actual good sleep is a no-brainer for me (and I say this as someone who did/occasionally still goes hardcore ultralight).

I have two pads because this is literally my life right now, and I could buy a new pad every month and still pay far less than I would in rent... but if i could only have one pad, i would definitely go with the xtherm for its vastly increased temperature flexibility at only a modest weight penalty.

And unless finances are really tight, don't go cheap up front. It ok only takes a dozen nights where you're cold to make up hay difference - if someone asked you in the middle of a cold night, "do you want to use this warmer sleeping pad for five bucks?", you'd say yes, every time :)

Xtherm, but try one and make sure it is wide enough to suit you. I easily drop an arm or leg off the thing shuffling around at night and it can be annoying.

Get what's best for you.... Personally xlite is fine...never gotten cold on it and I'm out in cooler weather and elevation... $ and weight savings.

One other option is the "women's" version Neo-air. I dont know what its name is, but it's the one that is SOOPER bright yellow. It's shorter (5'9" I believe) than the regular xlite (the more orangey yellow) but the same weight, because they've added in a little extra insulation. When my current xlite dies, I'm switching to the women's one because I don't need the full 6' length and extra free warmth is nice.

I sleep relatively cold, and whenever temps are expected below about 35f, I switch to my xtherm. A couple extra ounces for actual good sleep is a no-brainer for me (and I say this as someone who did/occasionally still goes hardcore ultralight).

I have two pads because this is literally my life right now, and I could buy a new pad every month and still pay far less than I would in rent... but if i could only have one pad, i would definitely go with the xtherm for its vastly increased temperature flexibility at only a modest weight penalty.

And unless finances are really tight, don't go cheap up front. It ok only takes a dozen nights where you're cold to make up hay difference - if someone asked you in the middle of a cold night, "do you want to use this warmer sleeping pad for five bucks?", you'd say yes, every time :)

I was looking at the womens. Seriously contemplating getting that one, but for the extra $40 I thought the XThrem would be smarter just because of it durability.

Get what's best for you.... Personally xlite is fine...never gotten cold on it and I'm out in cooler weather and elevation... $ and weight savings.

How cold is cold? Like what is coldest condition you have used your XLite in? There might be snow on my next trip. So I want to be as warm as possible.

Xtherm if you have any doubt about cold seems like a fine choice. I use an xlite myself and have found it plenty warm down to 30 degrees.

A good sleeping pad is worth the investment.

Xtherm for me year-round for the 70d bottom. If you go with the xlite you can supplement with a thin (1/4" is fine) CCF pad in cold weather.
Interestingly, although the material in the xtherm is heavier, I've found no apparent difference in durability.

I would let you try my xtherm, but I needs it...haha
Like @LarryBoy said, it doesn't seem to be more durable, as you just helped me patch a hole.
I still don't think you need it for this trip. It will be one night.
Nights when I have been freezing with my xtherm, you have been warm with your thin foam pad.
But like you said, it isn't much more weight and it isn't much more expensive. Hope someone helped you decide on here!

Interestingly, although the material in the xtherm is heavier, I've found no apparent difference in durability.

I certainly have! It's the main reason I go for the Xtherm over the Xlite these days. I've had to repair a lot more holes in the Xlite than the Xtherm. It is definitely more durable on the bottom.

I certainly have! It's the main reason I go for the Xtherm over the Xlite these days. I've had to repair a lot more holes in the Xlite than the Xtherm. It is definitely more durable on the bottom.
Interesting. I've had the exact opposite experience - with roughly an equal number of nights on each.

Interesting. I've had the exact opposite experience - with roughly an equal number of nights on each.
We’ve had two Xtherms for 5+ years and I’ve never had to do a single repair on the bottoms. The tops both have a couple pinhole repairs.

I assume that in a shelter with a floor it probably matters less, but a 70 denier fabric is going to have some degree more puncture and especially abrasion resistance vs 30d. That said it probably isn’t that different if you are dealing with something like a cactus spine.

We’ve had two Xtherms for 5+ years and I’ve never had to do a single repair on the bottoms. The tops both have a couple pinhole repairs.

I assume that in a shelter with a floor it probably matters less, but a 70 denier fabric is going to have some degree more puncture and especially abrasion resistance vs 30d. That said it probably isn’t that different if you are dealing with something like a cactus spine.
Good analysis. I've never had issues with abrasion wearing a pad down, but like you brought up, I always use it atop my shelter floor (or tyvek, when tarping or cowboying). I'm also quite careful with handling it. Those who are a little tougher on gear might find the thicker material makes a difference.

All my leaks over the years have been punctures, presumably from cactus spines or the like. The most frustrating is that super sharp alpine grass. :(

How cold is cold? Like what is coldest condition you have used your XLite in? There might be snow on my next trip. So I want to be as warm as possible.
Zero or more deer hunting at 10k feet in snow ... High mtns in teens... Like I say everyone is different how the sleep... Get what you think works best... Can always resell if not what you want

The X therm is a great pad if you find yourself being cold a lot of the time. The only other one I would consider would be the Nemo Tensor insulated. It's worth noting that Nemo doesn't state the R value of their pads, either does Big Agnes. Thermarest is part of Cascade Designs which is a decently large company that does rigorous internal testing and has been pushing for the R value standard across the industry. This should be implemented this year I believe. I would imagine that all the pads being introduced in 2019 at Outdoor Retailer will have stated R values.