Wow! This has me rethinking my gear choices...

So what made them uncomfortable?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They were wet as hell inside from the rain, runoff of melting snow, crossing streams, and so on. They took for ever to dry as well. I think that is why I respond to these posts so often. Since I switched over hiking in wet conditions has been much more enjoyable. Like I mentioned before most thru-hiker sites talk about how GTX sucks, expensive, doesn't breath, bla bla bla. But later on they mention using GTX socks that are the same thing but cost another $70. If you build up a lot of moisture that may be a good option if you can find some at a good price.

My favorite website on stove choice. It takes it down to basic math. If you are solo and have experience with those cat stoves then take one. Otherwise in a group, a canister stove or even a Whisperlite white gas stove can actually be lighter weight on a multi-day trip. That is because alcohol stoves burn colder and take more fuel. They totally suck in the wind and cold weather. You will boil water in 12 minutes if you are luck v 2.5 min with a jetboil.

Yup that's the one.

Alcohol stoves take about twice the fuel as canister stoves do. I like that alcohol stoves are so simple, fuel bottles easily topped off, no pile of canisters going into the landfill, much less expensive for stove or fuel and they are very light weight.

If you want a faster boil try a wider pot. That is a big factor with the alcohol stove I use. My widest pot will boil that liter in 7.5 minutes vs 10.5 with my more narrow pot. I've also found that the pot material has little to do with how fast it will boil, tried two pots of the same diameter and the titanium pot came to the boil a little bit quicker than the aluminum pot did. Pot diameter made a big impact though. I do find a place for my stove and windscreen that is protected from the wind but I do that with any stove. Mine has worked in -8C/17F and that is good enough for me. That is colder than I like anyway.

They were wet as hell inside from the rain, runoff of melting snow, crossing streams, and so on. They took for ever to dry as well. I think that is why I respond to these posts so often. Since I switched over hiking in wet conditions has been much more enjoyable. Like I mentioned before most thru-hiker sites talk about how GTX sucks, expensive, doesn't breath, bla bla bla. But later on they mention using GTX socks that are the same thing but cost another $70. If you build up a lot of moisture that may be a good option if you can find some at a good price.

I wear Salomon GTX mids like them for the most part. Nice and light. My problem is my feet sweat quite a bit and sometimes have a hard time distinguishing the sweat from moisture getting in from the outside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wear the Salomon GTX with the REI merino wool sox and haven't had an issue. That included a 6 day 75 mile Highline trail trip too.
Finding the shoes that work best for your feet and situation(s) is key, and the best sox too.

I wear the Salomon GTX with the REI merino wool sox and haven't had an issue. That included a 6 day 75 mile Highline trail trip too.
Finding the shoes that work best for your feet and situation(s) is key, and the best sox too.

I'll have to try a pair of the merino socks.

Alcohol stoves take about twice the fuel as canister stoves do. I like that alcohol stoves are so simple, fuel bottles easily topped off, no pile of canisters going into the landfill, much less expensive for stove or fuel and they are very light weight.

If you want a faster boil try a wider pot. That is a big factor with the alcohol stove I use. My widest pot will boil that liter in 7.5 minutes vs 10.5 with my more narrow pot. I've also found that the pot material has little to do with how fast it will boil, tried two pots of the same diameter and the titanium pot came to the boil a little bit quicker than the aluminum pot did. Pot diameter made a big impact though. I do find a place for my stove and windscreen that is protected from the wind but I do that with any stove. Mine has worked in -8C/17F and that is good enough for me. That is colder than I like anyway.
Some people really like those things. I have several of them. Maybe I will give it another try and carry one on shorter trips in addition to another stove.