Winds Conditions 2015

Artemus

I walk
A thread for the current conditions in the Wind Rivers as we prepare to walk.

I spoke to the Pinedale forest service employee at the office. She was somewhat shaky in her assessment but she said the FS road to Big Sandy opening (lodge, campground, trailhead) was open and drivable. Well, at first said it probably was then upon being pressed she said that it was. Same was said for the Sweetwater Gap trailhead. When I asked if she did not have people out in the field working she said "no, people are just coming on board and getting organized." Geesh.

When asked how far above the Big Sandy trailhead the trail was free of snow she said "you probably could get 3 or 4 miles up the trail but she didn't know".

Soon, all. Soon.

Fly out on July 31st for two weeks in the Winds. I'm doing 6 days with several family members and then a few days solo. I still haven't fully decided what to do on the solo portion, but I'm going to try my hand at playing it by ear...I have a nasty tendency of over-planning.

When are you headed up there?

Mid-August trip-of-a-lifetime is in the works! Traversing the range from south to north, significant stretches of off-trail travel, perhaps some glacier travel, and a 13'er or two! Can't wait!

DONE! I'll even bring my monster 85liter pack out of retirement.
We are going! The Duke Ellington Route on Ellingwood? Steeple tower between Haystack and East Temple? Shark's Nose? Fred Becky's obscure route above Stillwater Gap?

We are going! The Duke Ellington Route on Ellingwood? Steeple tower between Haystack and East Temple? Shark's Nose? Fred Becky's obscure route above Stillwater Gap?

YES!

I did love the look of the East Temple as we saw it from a distance. I'll rope mule anywhere though, I like the sound of obscure.

OK, nobody with a current conditions report? Skeets? Heading to Sweetwater Gap this weekend. Looking for love, i mean info, in all the wrong places.... @Aldaron, you stopping by for a beer on the way from the airport to your trailhead in August?

Nice @lostlandscapes and @Nick ! The weather may be supercharged with monsoon off and on for a while but the skies have been ecstatic. Had a little bit of graupel, sleet and hail at 10K feet but all the weather lasted only minutes literally with sun in between. Looking forward to hearing all about Titcomb and the GRL portage.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
b.stark Winds snow conditions? Trip Planning 13
wsp_scott Article: Trapped in the Winds General Discussion 2
Bob Glaciers of the Winds video General Discussion 0
U Help with a Winds itinerary Trip Planning 19
OldBill (mis)Adventures in and around the Winds Backpacking 8
Janice Wonderful Week in the Winds Backpacking 7
W Greetings from the West Side of the Winds (Wind River range) Noobs: Introduce yourself! 5
Mijita Winds from gannett to cirque Trip Planning 16
CodyL Winds- Big water slide Trip Planning 3
OldBill Winds: Aug 28-Sep 19, 2021 Backpacking 6
Janice Winds - Bears Ears Trail? Trip Planning 6
Janice 7 Breathtaking Days in the Winds Trip Reports 15
andyjaggy Last minute Winds trip Meet Up (Members Only) 12
D Backpacking Advice in the Winds, Teton Wilderness and the Washakie Wilderness Trip Planning 8
D Input for our trip to the Winds??? Trip Planning 6
OldBill In and Around the Winds, Sept 2020 Backpacking 8
Happyidiot 4 Days In The Winds Backpacking 10
misSOULa Into the Winds: Titcomb Basin and Gannett Peak Attempt Backpacking 6
RyanP 5-day Winds trip in early Sep---suggestions? Trip Planning 18
OldBill A segmented month in the Winds Trip Planning 17
Happyidiot Winds in Early August Trip Planning 7
Janice Acclimating to altitude & a few other questions for Winds trip Trip Planning 23
Yvonne Backpacking the Winds: From Elkhart TH to Titcomb Basin, July 2018 Backpacking 20
OldBill A return to the Winds: Sept 12-28, 2019 Backpacking 8
Hiker Seth Southern Winds tour 8/23/19 - 8/28/19 Backpacking 11
Bob Bomber Lake - Winds Current fire Trip Planning 0
Kullaberg63 Super short notice: Looking for Winds partner Meet Up (Members Only) 4
Kullaberg63 Winds: Backpacking to Bikepacking Backpacking 2
pstm13 A Family Trip in the Winds: Big Sandy and the Cirque Backpacking 11
TeamJenkins17 Quick 4 day Winds trip Trip Planning 32
RyanP Texas Pass (Winds) in late July Trip Planning 23
RyanP 5-day route in Winds in late July? Trip Planning 0
Lowro Winds advice Trip Planning 11
Burrito Winds - Pole Creek -> Lester Pass -> Island Lake / Titcomb -> Hobbs Backpacking 7
Dave Missing Boy Scout in the Winds General Discussion 7
J Southern Winds Backpacking 4
Lowro The Southern Winds Backpacking 0
H suggestion needed: 9-day solo Winds near Elkhart Park Trip Planning 5
Burrito Winds - July 1-3 - Elkhart -> Hobbs -> Lester Pass -> Pole Creek Backpacking 14
Aries_Ranger South Winds Advice... Trip Planning 4
outnabout Weather in the Winds late Sept Trip Planning 6
Hurakan Need some Winds Advice. Trip Planning 14
Ross Partners for Twin Lakes, Sawtooths+Titcomb & Cirque of the Towers, Winds Trip Planning 8
River Lost Dog in the Winds General Discussion 1
Aldaron Winds - Green River Lakes to Elkhart Park Backpacking 14
Jackson Clear Creek (Northern Winds) Trip Planning 14
A Winds and bear storage General Discussion 11
Blake Merrell Help! First Trip to the Winds. Trip Planning 90
Aldaron Winds in August Trip Planning 9
andyjaggy Winds in early July Trip Planning 18