Winds Conditions 2015

Nice @lostlandscapes and @Nick ! The weather may be supercharged with monsoon off and on for a while but the skies have been ecstatic. Had a little bit of graupel, sleet and hail at 10K feet but all the weather lasted only minutes literally with sun in between. Looking forward to hearing all about Titcomb and the GRL portage.
I am also looking forward to trip reports. We will be in Titcomb Basin in 4 weeks.
Cheers
IRG

Just got back from 3 days at Green River Lakes. Camped on the upper lake both nights. Out on the water, mosquitoes were basically non-existent. In camp they were maybe a 4 or 5 out of 10, 1 being basically nothing and 10 being 'go hide in the tent'. When we paddled up into the meadows above the upper lake, they got pretty bad. Maybe a 6 or 7 up there.

Surprisingly we had no storms. A few drops on the first day but it blew through quick. There was a bit of wind but it was going up canyon for the paddle in and down canyon for the paddle out. :)

And the scenery was okay.

IMG_4024.jpg

Ya...for us too.
We will be in Pinedale on August 22nd. Anyone else? Will buy ya a beer at WR brewing.
We will be at Log Cabin inn. Stop by

Last edited:
How crowded were the campgrounds, @Nick ?

I don't know, we didn't really look. I did notice quite a few primitive spots available along the road up though. We were able to find a prime backcountry spot on the upper Green River Lake, although the one we were originally shooting for was taken (the only other occupied site, I think).

I'm heading in around Aug 20th! I know @Antlerking just headed in today!

This might be the wrong place to ask this, but like I mentioned earlier, I will be heading up to Titcomb Basin in about two weeks. It has been probably close to 10 years since I have been in the Titcomb. I am trying to debate on whether or not I should bring my hammock to sleep in instead of my two man REI half dome. Are there enough big trees in the area to set up my hammock and sleep in so I don't have to bring my tent or would you guys recommend bringing the tent, with two dogs coming with me and the unpredictable weather that is up there?

This might be the wrong place to ask this, but like I mentioned earlier, I will be heading up to Titcomb Basin in about two weeks. It has been probably close to 10 years since I have been in the Titcomb. I am trying to debate on whether or not I should bring my hammock to sleep in instead of my two man REI half dome. Are there enough big trees in the area to set up my hammock and sleep in so I don't have to bring my tent or would you guys recommend bringing the tent, with two dogs coming with me and the unpredictable weather that is up there?
There are no trees in Titcomb Basin. It is above treeline. There are trees down lower, say by Island Lake.

There are no trees in Titcomb Basin. It is above treeline. There are trees down lower, say by Island Lake.
Good to know. Thank you. That is what I thought. We plan on staying at Island Lake one night, but we haven't decided if we are going to do a base camp there and day hike or if we will pick up camp and move everyday. Thank you for the reply.

Good to know. Thank you. That is what I thought. We plan on staying at Island Lake one night, but we haven't decided if we are going to do a base camp there and day hike or if we will pick up camp and move everyday. Thank you for the reply.

The trees around Island Lake are not very big either. Once you get past Senaca lake everything is pretty stunted .
Plenty of nice grassy tent pads around Island Lake and Titcomb Basin areas.
Have a great trip
Cheers
IRG

Last year there was 6 inches of snow in Titcomb Basin a couple days before we started and we hiked out in a snowstorm a week later...and it was still August.
Be prepared
Cheers
IRG

Just back from the Temple Peak area from the Big Sandy Opening. The trailhead was the most crowded I've ever seen it with cars parallel parked out on the narrow dirt road 1/4 mile from the trailhead proper. Needless to say the trail to Big Sandy Lake was a zoo but once I went off-piste there it reduced to a few here and there. We had afternoon showers with otherwisel hot and dry conditions and bugs were trivial. Great trip. The young lady law enforcement ranger that read us the riot act, I mean regulations, at Big Sandy Lake was less than helpful about bear activity in the south end of the range. I got the impression there hasn't been any/much. View of East Temple, Temple Pass, and Temple left to right.

temple.jpg

Ditto. TItcomb Basin is glorious, but it's definitely above treeline. You'll find trees near Island Lake. (Hope you have a blast! We went there for our honeymoon back in 2013, and they're definitely some of the prettiest mountains I've ever seen!)

IMG_3748.JPG

Island Lake

IMG_3874.JPG

Titcomb Basin