Will the new iPhone make PLBs obsolete?

usuallysolo

The tech podcasts are saying the next iPhone (might be announced next week) will have the capability of connecting directly to satellites for things like emergency messaging.

Does this mean that the PLB (for which I paid $700 several years ago!) and the Spot will no longer be necessary?

Jackson

I like to go outside.
That's very interesting. Will it be restricted to emergency messaging only, or will you be able to text at your leisure like with an InReach? If it's the former, I'll stick with my InReach, but if it's the latter, I may be swayed to switch from Pixel to iPhone so I don't have to pack the InReach.

Either way this is cool. I figured it was only a matter of time until cell phones started getting satellite messaging capability.

Bob

Trailmaster
Wouldn't matter if iphone does...... Wouldn't buy one, rather not have a phone if was only brand...... My opinion...

LarryBoy

Hiker Trash
I'm really looking forward to this (at least once it's available on non-Apple phones). I hate carrying electronics - not just because of the weight, but because of the fuss factor - so this will be welcome technology.

Glad to hear it'll be for emergency use. Our wild places are being encroached enough as it is.

Bob

Trailmaster
Stubbed toes are an emergency to some......... it will enable those who shouldnt be pout there..... just like cell phone calls to SAR