Album Wildlife

IMG_3790.jpg

While hiking above Oldman Lake we listened to a pack yipping and yapping. We have no experience with this stuff so we are stubbornly sticking to our fantasy that it is a pack of wolves. To me the sound seemed to come from the cliffs. To Jeff it was the woods. But really the sound came from the entire basin. It went on for easily 40 minutes. Our friends had backpacked to the drainage to the north and had witnessed the same behavior. Please click on the link and feel free to educate us an what these canines are. I GOT THIS UPLOADED TO YOUTUBE.....BELOW A FEW SCREENS

Thanks

Last edited:
Hey you, I'll tell you a secret...

i-JmSdTMT-XL.jpg

Golden-mantled ground squirrel, Sheepeater Cliff, Yellowstone

Pronghorn on Specimen Ridge

This one comes with a story.
Most of you know, I'm a wildlife repellent. Everything runs and hides at least half a mile before I come and wait in fear that I'm gone. For some reason, it didn't apply to this pronghorn.
It actually came towards me!! I stopped and backed up to give it its proper 25-yard space, but it came closer and had no issues with me around. So I just waited what it would do. It came up to 10 feet and then just laid down in the sagebrush next to the trail.
I was okay with that.

i-sxhn6d4-XL.jpg

Pronghorn walking towards me

i-Hb7nm8D-XL.jpg

time to lay down and rest

i-thm2Z6H-XL.jpg

this is all it wanted - laying in the grasses next to the trail

I encountered a number of different (what I think are) Grouse in Yellowstone this year. At one point a mother and her chicks crossed the path in front of me. . . I was focused on watching several of them cross when I felt something on my foot. I looked down to find one of the young'uns pecking at my boot!

5J5A1302A.JPG

5J5A1610A.JPG

5J5A2077A.JPG

5J5A2083A.JPG

5J5A1609A.JPG

More Wildlife Pics from this year's week in Yellowstone.

Obligatory Bison Pictures.

Lone Bull Trailside.

5J5A1174A.JPG

This fella was munching on grass next to my parked car as I returned to the trailhead.

5J5A1637A.JPG

This group of Bison was all riled up and huddled together due to some wolf activity in the valley -- more on that in another post.

5J5A1987A.JPG

Some Yellowstone Pollinators.

5J5A2130A.JPG

No need to set the alarm with this fella bugling early in the morning.

5J5A2146A.JPG

Everyone uses the boardwalks in the geyser basins. :)

5J5A1977A.JPG

I thought I had actually seen a beaver at beaver ponds. . . closer inspection says more likely a muskrat.

5J5A2192A.JPG

Handsome Bull Elk.

5J5A2224A.JPG

Momma bear and two cubs. I think one of the cubs is hiding behind mom in this picture. This was my first Yellowstone Grizzly encounter and I was trying to focus on where the bears were headed (hopefully not towards me!) vs. getting lost in taking pics.

5J5A2042A.JPG