Who uses paper maps?

Mike Jones

With GPS on every ones phones these days who brings paper maps with them on the trail?

I make custom maps at caltopo.com and then print them on special tear proof paper/water proof paper.

A lot of my friends love them, and I am thinking of selling them. What are your thoughts?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

With GPS on every ones phones these days who brings paper maps with them on the trail?

I make custom maps at caltopo.com and then print them on special tear proof paper/water proof paper.

A lot of my friends love them, and I am thinking of selling them. What are your thoughts?

I wanna know where you get that special paper?? [emoji851]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And yes, I still use my paper maps mostly for planning. I don't like trusting a single source when it comes to back country trails. Everyone has an opinion ;)

And yes, I still use my paper maps mostly for planning. I don't like trusting a single source when it comes to back country trails. Everyone has an opinion ;)

Yea on my hikes recently I am shocked how many people don't carry paper maps.

'Two is one, one is none' and all that. Paper + phone works for me.

I generally only use my phone when I need to know where I am, but I haven't done much off-trail stuff. I'm transitioning into using paper maps more though. They're great.

I typically carry paper maps with me, though I can't remember the last time I used them. They are there in case my GPS fails on a trip, which has not happened yet.

I've started a few trips lately where I go 'oh sh!t, forgot to print maps' . Allen's Dark Canyon route was one of these. We had two phones, tho!

I sometimes use big area maps like Trails Illustrated. I always use custom topo map sheets saved in pdf and put on my phone or tablet to save ink and $$. If I really feel the need, I'll print those topo maps in the case where I don't want to depend on technology and/or I need to box the compass on the map. Can't really do that with a phone.

I faced planted my Garmin 62ST, shearing off the buttons on the front and cracking the screen on Sunday. I forgot to bring maps or start up the Gaia, resulting in a bit of a sticky situation that could have resulted in a much longer hike out or a thrash through the bushes. Luckily I picked the right trail out. My companions would not have been happy. Moral is that paper maps are a good thing.

Nat Geo used to sell that tear proof and waterproof paper for printing maps. There are other sources too. I've printed a bunch of maps on that stuff.
We have about 400 square miles of connected mountainous wilderness close by, the closest trailhead is 15 minutes by car. I have all that on paper maps that always remain in my pack and the more frequented ares within I have more detailed maps. I add maps when going to other vast wilderness ares close by or far away too. I don't feel all together without them.

Yes we take a digital set too but the paper maps are the ones I use the most for off trail nav. I grew up with them and used them every single day of a 30 year career in aerial mapping photography too. But we use them in conjugation with a compass quite often past and present for hiking.

I still carry paper maps. phone with GPS gets use for dayhikes some but for extended trips can't beat map and compass.