What's Cooking?

I really should have grilled, but I already had a pan out and partially cleaned.

Porkchop tacos tonight.

Homemade corn tortillas, fajita style peppers and onions, and some 1/2 price thin pork chops.
Marinate the pork chops in carne asada inspired marinade= lime juice, soy sauce, chile powder, cumin, salt, oregano and some Tajin. Cook lightly on high heat to get a good brown on the outside and almost pink center... and then cook the onions and peppers in the same pan, deglazing with some water and adding salt and pepper. Chop up the pork chops and squeeze over a little more lime juice.
Serve with some Cache Valley shredded cheese, chopped cilantro, sour cream, and Cholula.
Drinking a fruit punch Jarritos that the daughter picked out.
Desert was 1/2 container of rum flavored tres leches from Haagen Das outside in the cloudy evening. Pretty good, and half price!

IMG_9128.jpg IMG_9129.jpg

Tomorrow I will get the leftovers, because my wife and eldest are away for the rest of the week. My wife does not do seafood, so I had wanted to also have some scallop ceviche, but I had forgotten to defrost the scallops. So that will be tomorrow maybe.

I really should have grilled, but I already had a pan out and partially cleaned.

Porkchop tacos tonight.

Homemade corn tortillas, fajita style peppers and onions, and some 1/2 price thin pork chops.
Marinate the pork chops in carne asada inspired marinade= lime juice, soy sauce, chile powder, cumin, salt, oregano and some Tajin. Cook lightly on high heat to get a good brown on the outside and almost pink center... and then cook the onions and peppers in the same pan, deglazing with some water and adding salt and pepper. Chop up the pork chops and squeeze over a little more lime juice.
Serve with some Cache Valley shredded cheese, chopped cilantro, sour cream, and Cholula.
Drinking a fruit punch Jarritos that the daughter picked out.
Desert was 1/2 container of rum flavored tres leches from Haagen Das outside in the cloudy evening. Pretty good, and half price!

View attachment 131686 View attachment 131687

Tomorrow I will get the leftovers, because my wife and eldest are away for the rest of the week. My wife does not do seafood, so I had wanted to also have some scallop ceviche, but I had forgotten to defrost the scallops. So that will be tomorrow maybe.

Fabulous!

Well for Father's Day I made my parents some carnitas, cooking in a mostly authentic way. I do not own a cazo, but I did render out some of my own pork fat (sounds better than just saying lard). I also used the lard for the frijoles, (I like them a bit more chunky rather than just smooth and dog-food-like) and for the carnitas.
I do not gloat when I say it was Really good. My dad has not had much of an appetite lately, and he went back for a massive third taco.
I also have leftovers for dinner or lunch again this week.
I could write out the steps if anyone is really interested, but here are some pics.

From scratch frijoles, after soaking the beans all night, and then boiling them for a while, cooling them down and then starting to mash them during the refry.
IMG_9297.jpg

What you add to the carnitas during the second half of cooking for the flavor.
IMG_9299.jpg

Carnitas before adding the condensed milk- in lieu of evapo milk this time.
IMG_9301.jpg

While this was all going on, I had to of course sample the frijoles, so this was one of the best bean and cheese tacos you could ever have:
IMG_9300.jpg

My dad has to have foods that have a small window for any bacteria growth, so instead of fully browning the carnitas in the oven at my house, I took them mostly done to my parents and crisped them up and straight into the tacos.
IMG_9303.jpg

My plate.
IMG_9304.jpg

During all of this cooking, I took some of the still very tart cherries from the tree outside, and started breaking down some pitted ones for a sour cherry bbq sauce to use this week.
When are you coming over @scatman ? I can put some on these pork spare ribs I have and send you home with riper cherries.
IMG_9298.jpg

All this activity was too much for Maple. She got exhausted just watching me and begging for some scraps that never came.
IMG_9296.jpg

I am new to this community, searching for any work or knowledge.
And you guys are making me hungry, Is it fair to do this.
Tell me :cry:

Well for Father's Day I made my parents some carnitas, cooking in a mostly authentic way. I do not own a cazo, but I did render out some of my own pork fat (sounds better than just saying lard). I also used the lard for the frijoles, (I like them a bit more chunky rather than just smooth and dog-food-like) and for the carnitas.
I do not gloat when I say it was Really good. My dad has not had much of an appetite lately, and he went back for a massive third taco.
I also have leftovers for dinner or lunch again this week.
I could write out the steps if anyone is really interested, but here are some pics.

From scratch frijoles, after soaking the beans all night, and then boiling them for a while, cooling them down and then starting to mash them during the refry.
View attachment 131922

What you add to the carnitas during the second half of cooking for the flavor.
View attachment 131924

Carnitas before adding the condensed milk- in lieu of evapo milk this time.
View attachment 131926

While this was all going on, I had to of course sample the frijoles, so this was one of the best bean and cheese tacos you could ever have:
View attachment 131925

My dad has to have foods that have a small window for any bacteria growth, so instead of fully browning the carnitas in the oven at my house, I took them mostly done to my parents and crisped them up and straight into the tacos.
View attachment 131927

My plate.
View attachment 131928

During all of this cooking, I took some of the still very tart cherries from the tree outside, and started breaking down some pitted ones for a sour cherry bbq sauce to use this week.
When are you coming over @scatman ? I can put some on these pork spare ribs I have and send you home with riper cherries.
View attachment 131923

All this activity was too much for Maple. She got exhausted just watching me and begging for some scraps that never came.
View attachment 131921

You keep making meals like this and I'll be over tonight. :D

Back