What would make BCP better?

I am pretty much in the same boat as @MikeM, I mainly just go on day hikes and feel like a lot of places I go are already covered well on here, and that I am an average photographer and writer. I do enjoy this site even though I pretty much just play guess the spot and occasionally comment on other threads. I will try to post more trip reports and contribute to the site.

I think there are a lot of us that would love more day hike TRs. Like you most of my adventures are day hikes and I love ideas and experiences shared.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, here's a thing. When I'm viewing the site on my phone, on the home page there are a couple little helpful links to "recent posts" and "new posts". I enjoy using these.
IMG_0121.jpg

When I go and view one of those posts, those links are changed, usually to "winter sports" and "everything else", as I'm viewing trip reports.
IMG_0122.jpg

I have never used those links. I have however wished that I could still link to recent posts again so that I can see what's new. I could just go back in my browser to that page, but then I would have to refresh to see any new content. Is there any reason the recent posts link can't stay there? Or may be even have links to "backpacking" and "hiking and camping" if it's pulling from trip reports' sub forums?

Also, is there any difference between recent posts and new posts? It looks essentially the same to me.

Good observation and great timing on that Ben. The redesigned layout is in progress right now. I’ve gotten in the habit of just hitting back to get to the new posts button and forgot that that is prettt stupid that it doesn’t stay.

Reviving an old thought, another thing that would make bcp better is more meetups.for whatever reason it's never really caught on. I personally think a lot of people here are pretty cool.

Obviously would cater most to those who live in the Wasatch front area, but even still. Beats me how to make it happen though.

Reviving an old thought, another thing that would make bcp better is more meetups.for whatever reason it's never really caught on. I personally think a lot of people here are pretty cool.

Obviously would cater most to those who live in the Wasatch front area, but even still. Beats me how to make it happen though.
You plan it. They will come.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

You plan it. They will come.

This.

In the distant past I spearheaded some stuff but it has it's challenges, especially if you're talking about a potentially large group event. Sometimes I think a nice way to go about it would be to just have a BCP BBQ or something just so people can meet casually and get to know each other a bit in person and get the door open to members inviting each other on smaller, more manageable group trips.

This.

In the distant past I spearheaded some stuff but it has it's challenges, especially if you're talking about a potentially large group event. Sometimes I think a nice way to go about it would be to just have a BCP BBQ or something just so people can meet casually and get to know each other a bit in person and get the door open to members inviting each other on smaller, more manageable group trips.
Manageable groups are definitely key. After heading up the St. George hiking group and and attending few other meetups. Six I swear to gawd is the magic number. Anymore than that and you better plan lots of extra time to get anywhere.

It is a tough sell. You have to have people willing to take the lead. And not many really want to. Or you have to have a group cohesive enough to flow well.

I have seen a little bit of all of it. Sure have enjoyed several group adventures.

Well hey, if people ever visit CA, my yard has enough room for everyone to set up tents! :uhhuh: If I ever head out of state for backpacking, I was planning on letting you guys know and hoping someone would volunteer to hike with me haha.

I've planned a couple simple dayhikes in the past and haven't had a ton of interest. I'm with you on the BCP BBQ thing Nick. Or just get a table at a restaurant and everyone bring a couple of maps as conversation starters.

Well hey, if people ever visit CA, my yard has enough room for everyone to set up tents! :uhhuh: If I ever head out of state for backpacking, I was planning on letting you guys know and hoping someone would volunteer to hike with me haha.
Your neighbors will think you've started a leper colony or something.

"What are all those weird stinky people doing in Miya's yard?"

I think this might ONLY cater to those in the Wasatch area. may be just Utah in general. i'm unaware of more than one other person from Boise on here.

I think this might ONLY cater to those in the Wasatch area. may be just Utah in general. i'm unaware of more than one other person from Boise on here.
I know there is one other person from Idaho Falls on here. Ha! But yes it would mostly be a Utah thing except there are a lot of reports from people backpacking mountain ranges in Idaho and Wyoming.

As for Boise...I want to come find old man of the Owyhees he is over that way.

Your neighbors will think you've started a leper colony or something.

"What are all those weird stinky people doing in Miya's yard?"

Naaah...well yeah, probably lol my neighbors are semi off in the distance though, so they will be looking from afar.

Hey, I hosted Corndog Day, but alas no BCP members showed. :(IMG_3317.JPG
Dutch Oven Santa Fe Soup

IMG_3333.JPG
Since Corndog Day corresponded with St. Paddy's Day this year - Preparing our Irish Car Bombs

Last edited:
Hey, I hosted Corndog Day, but alas no BCP members showed. :(View attachment 63317
Dutch Oven Santa Fe Soup

View attachment 63318
Since Corndog Day corresponded with St. Paddy's Day this year - Preparing our Irish Car Bombs
I was going to try and make it that morning but the forecast for that day said snow on Soldier Summit and I was towing Moxie to Fruita. I had to leave too early to stop by. :( I was sad because I love corn dogs. So you almost had one. But I didn't think you would appreciate the 6:30am wake up call.