What is on your wish list?

I have a version of this pack from a couple years ago, and it's great. I use it as a stuff sack for sleeping bag (with room for poly-pjs and a pillow too) when carrying a bigger pack, and then use it for a day pack when smaller is needed.
Mine has a couple more pockets than this, but I love the zipper on the pictured pocket! My son likes carrying it on day trip; might be time to upgrade mine and pass the old one along...

After hiking with you in Zion one time with kids. I bought two of these REI backs one for Spencer and one for Sarah. Different than one here and one you have but similar. Nice backs. I like your idea of using it to stuff sleeping bag in and then use it later. I am stealing that.

I like your idea of using it to stuff sleeping bag in and then use it later. I am stealing that.

It's great for longer trips where you might set a base camp and use this smaller pack for a summit day or side canyon...

My nice-to-have-but-not-necessarily-needed-as-I-can-make-do-with-what-I-have-for-now wish list for this year:

MSR gravity filter
MSR Micro Rocket
Big Agnes Copper Spur UL1
Osprey 100oz Bladder
Click Elite Micro
Black Diamond ultra Distance Trekking Poles
SmartWool thermal bottoms
Knife – not sure which one yet
I picked up the Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1. It's very nice, but with one flaw. When you try and get into it in a rain storm you have to get all the way into the tent to close the vestibule (too small of an area to fit in between tent and rain fly) and water runs off the fly above the door into the tent. I wish I would have gotten the Copper Spur even though it's 10 oz heavier...

I picked up the Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1. It's very nice, but with one flaw. When you try and get into it in a rain storm you have to get all the way into the tent to close the vestibule (too small of an area to fit in between tent and rain fly) and water runs off the fly above the door into the tent. I wish I would have gotten the Copper Spur even though it's 10 oz heavier...

That's why I'm looking strictly at side entry tents. The Copper Spur is #1 on my list but is $$$. I'm also considering the new REI Quarterdome T1 and the EMS Velocity 1. They are both much cheaper and almost the same weight.

Right now, when I go pack packing I share my buddy's 2 man Quarterdome T2. But, I like the idea of the 1 man better. And now that they are getting so light the trade-offs aren't as great. I still have my hammock, so I'm holding out until I absolutely need to buy one, or if I find a great deal I can't pass up.

I have the EMS Velocity 1 and I love it. It really has a lot of space inside and I can also sit up in it. There are also nice storage pockets inside which I like a lot .
I used the tent in all weather conditions so far. From nasty storms with up to 60mph to thunderstorms, desert conditions, temperatures below zero. My favorite backpacking tent so far.

I have the EMS Velocity 1 and I love it. It really has a lot of space inside and I can also sit up in it. There are also nice storage pockets inside which I like a lot .
I used the tent in all weather conditions so far. From nasty storms with up to 60mph to thunderstorms, desert conditions, temperatures below zero. My favorite backpacking tent so far.
that tent looks impressive. too bad we don't have EMS out here...

I have a feeling that when the time comes I'll err on the side of cheap and get the Velocity 1 over the Copper Spur UL 1. I'm 5'7", so I should be alright in either. The CS would feel like a palace, though. The REI QD T1 is only semi freestanding which I'm not sure I'd like. And Big Agnes removed the little vestibule window on the 2012 version—a feature I really liked.

The Velocity 1 doesn't seem as popular as the others so I've had a hard time finding any reviews on it. Good to know you're happy with yours.

That's why I'm looking strictly at side entry tents.
Ya, this was my first top entry tent and I do say I like the side entry ones better!

The Velocity 1 doesn't seem as popular as the others so I've had a hard time finding any reviews on it. Good to know you're happy with yours.

If you like I can post a few pictures of the Velocity 1 the next few days.
I'm 5'4 and had a lot of space inside. I can even store my backpack inside, because the head area is much larger. It's freestanding and packs really small. EMS has it on sale quite often throughout the year, so check their website now and then.

But you can order online from anywhere. Usually without shipping costs.
I'm lucky, we have a store in Buffalo, that's where I pick up my stuff.
i'd probably want to see the thing firsthand before buying... that's the biggest problem.