What did you buy today?

It's still for sale, I think it's the Boulder Colorado craigslist. Maybe he'd come down to 20K, I don't know. :)

I want one of those chairs for car camping.
While I think it's a great chair, I think you could do a lot better at a lot better price when car camping. The beauty of this chair is how small it breaks down and its weight. 2 things not that important, at least to me, when car camping.

While I think it's a great chair, I think you could do a lot better at a lot better price when car camping. The beauty of this chair is how small it breaks down and its weight. 2 things not that important, at least to me, when car camping.

I have limited space in my Subaru w/ Yakima skybox because of 2 adults and 4 kids. 6 full size chairs are the single biggest user of space. However...I would not spend that kind of money on a kid's camp chair. It would just get trashed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bought an Osprey Atmos 65L
and a Helinox Chair Zero.

View attachment 57961

View attachment 57960

The hip belt on the pack is WOW!
Put 25 lbs in at the store and couldn't feel one ounce of it.

The chair comes in at around 1 lb.

Slowly moving out of the "dirtbag" category.

I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on that Helinox Chair Zero after you've used it a couple of times. I got one last spring and used it only once this summer. Yes, it's super light and breaks down to a nice small volume, but I found it not comfortable at all to sit in around a campfire. I always felt like I was going to slide right out of my chair. To be honest, I'm not impressed at all and kind of wish I would've gone with the REI chair instead.

To be honest, I'm not impressed at all and kind of wish I would've gone with the REI chair instead.

Now you tell me!

My wife is using it this weekend at mountain bike race.
If she gives it thumbs down, I guess it'll be going back.

Thanks for the heads up.

Last edited:
REI will take it back, exchange, etc. for a year.
Wayne

I forgot to mention that I bought something:
I managed to find the last JetBoil SOL at my local Gander Mountain. Half price and it was mine.
Then I was given a Snow Peak Ti 700 ml cup and lid, a 1 liter REI Ti pot and lid and an MSR Pocket Rocket 2.
My cup runneth over. I'm not sure what to use. The JetBoil is the leader for solo use right now because I've used it more than the other gear. I could see adding the Pocket Rocket 2 and 1 liter pot if I were in a group. Decisions. Decisions.
Wayne

I forgot to mention that I bought something:
I managed to find the last JetBoil SOL at my local Gander Mountain.

Everyone's getting these nice scores at Gander - I've got to get to one!

I shopped the local store in east Texas in March or maybe April. All of the gas canisters were gone. The Pocket Rockets were gone. Pickings were slim. Except shoes and boots.
I'm not sure if that store is still open.
Good luck.
Wayne

Last edited:
I bought an aluminum garbage can so I can use the lid to burn a campfire in the Bears Ears, yee haw!:dance:

I'm not going to use the garbage can lid after all. It turns out galvanized metal gives off zinc oxide when heated. Toxic.

I shopped the local store in east Texas in March or maybe April. All of the gas canisters were gone. The Pocket Rockets were gone. Pickings were slim. Except shoes and boots.
I'm not sure if that store is still open.
Good luck.
Wayne

Gander Mountain was recently purchased by Camping World, which has a pretty bad reputation in the RV world.

Gander Mountain was recently purchased by Camping World, which has a pretty bad reputation in the RV world.

Ironically, my store in Tyler, TX is one of 5 in the state scheduled to reopen by Camping World.
Wayne

Ironically, my store in Tyler, TX is one of 5 in the state scheduled to reopen by Camping World.
Wayne

I've never done business with Camping World, since I'm not an RVer, but sometimes I do read their forum (RV.net), which occasionally has some interesting updates on Alaska and Canada travel. There's a lot of complaining there about poor service from Camping World, which I find ironic, since it's their site. I've also read some poor reviews about them on other travel sites. Hopefully they'll run Gander Mountain better than they do their other stores.

My experience with CW has been mediocre at best.

I'm not going to use the garbage can lid after all. It turns out galvanized metal gives off zinc oxide when heated. Toxic.
That would be a strange thing to die from out in the back country.

Last edited: