What did you buy today?

The kung fu grip on my old pair was starting to slip so I grabbed me another pair for next year's adventures
View attachment 116873
Some of the best, toughest trail running/hiking shoes ever. Loved them but they started giving me major blisters on long days, so I had to switch to something with more space for my toes. Still, such great shoes!

Some of the best, toughest trail running/hiking shoes ever. Loved them but they started giving me major blisters on long days, so I had to switch to something with more space for my toes. Still, such great shoes!
They definitely run on the small side. I had to go up a size and get the wide fit.

I finally broke down and bought a Peak Design aluminum tripod, as it was 20% off on REI. It's not as light as I'd hoped. 3.5 pounds weighs more than it used to.

La Sportiva's are the only hiking /trail running shoes and boots I can wear.
I have weird and very narrow feet, but they fit like a glove.
I love all the pairs I own and rarely get blisters. I wish they would last a bit longer. I usually run through at least one pair every hiking season.

The kung fu grip on my old pair was starting to slip so I grabbed me another pair for next year's adventures
Hypothetically I just got 2 pairs on clearance too (sometimes REI will tell me the item is no longer available during order processing). I love these shoes, but the frictiony tread wears down faster than some comparable ones. I have some old Salewa trail runners with sticky, but durable soles.

I also got a pair of Black Diamond Distance Carbon FLZ poles on sale. My older ones won't extend long enough to reasonably sub as tent poles.

Recently made my first backpacking gear purchases of the year.

2pr of UA Boxerjocks(have a pair that's over a decade old and still going strong):
20221117_220300.jpg

And a Kuiu Peloton 97 hoody:
20221130_232311.jpg

My men's size L is 155g/5.47oz on my scale.
Pretty light for something noticeably warmer than my Capilene 2 zipneck that weighs .85oz more w/o a hood!

I ordered a Kokopelli packraft. It's a Hornet Lite, and it came as a bundle with the raft, a little rechargeable air pump, what looks to be a nice four piece paddle, and A CALENDAR. I need a calendar. I hear a new year is coming. I got to a lot of lakes last summer (Ice, Grebe, Shoshone, Heart, Grizzly), and at every one, I wished I had some kind of a boat. In fact, I already have a Flytepacker, an Adventure Elements Ultra-lite, and a Klymet dingy, but for one reason or another, I don't use them. For one, the floating item is great, but you need a big pump, another is pretty hard to get in and out of the thing without going swimming. So, I'm going at it again. $549 for the calendar. https://kokopelli.com/collections/kokopelli-sale-items/products/hornet-lite-kit

I ordered a Kokopelli packraft. It's a Hornet Lite, and it came as a bundle with the raft, a little rechargeable air pump, what looks to be a nice four piece paddle, and A CALENDAR. I need a calendar. I hear a new year is coming. I got to a lot of lakes last summer (Ice, Grebe, Shoshone, Heart, Grizzly), and at every one, I wished I had some kind of a boat. In fact, I already have a Flytepacker, an Adventure Elements Ultra-lite, and a Klymet dingy, but for one reason or another, I don't nag one of theseuse them. For one, the floating item is great, but you need a big pump, another is pretty hard to get in and out of the thing without going swimming. So, I'm going at it again. $549 for the calendar. https://kokopelli.com/collections/kokopelli-sale-items/products/hornet-lite-kit

Perhaps you should snag one of these https://www.hornbeckboats.com/ A bit pricier than a pack raft but a nice light craft for backcountry paddling.

kwc, I have looked at those, but as you said the price is much more, and I know me enough to know I wouldn't carry that very far beyond the parking lot, I really believe that with this set of items (minus the calendar), I will carry it and use it. We'll see, of course. I believe (the most important part) that this set solves the problems that I'd had before. I was on a forum run by one of those manufacturers. Another person was commenting about what he saw as a problem, and how he fixed it. I had the same problem, and said that was a neat idea. We both got booted. So much for neat ideas. I didn't know how to do what he had done, though. So, as Bullwinkle says, "This time, for sure!"

I ordered a Kokopelli packraft. It's a Hornet Lite, and it came as a bundle with the raft, a little rechargeable air pump, what looks to be a nice four piece paddle, and A CALENDAR. I need a calendar. I hear a new year is coming. I got to a lot of lakes last summer (Ice, Grebe, Shoshone, Heart, Grizzly), and at every one, I wished I had some kind of a boat. In fact, I already have a Flytepacker, an Adventure Elements Ultra-lite, and a Klymet dingy, but for one reason or another, I don't use them. For one, the floating item is great, but you need a big pump, another is pretty hard to get in and out of the thing without going swimming. So, I'm going at it again. $549 for the calendar. https://kokopelli.com/collections/kokopelli-sale-items/products/hornet-lite-kit
I'd love to hear what you think of it after a couple of trips! I've been hemming and hawing about getting a "real" packraft for years at this point. I'd been eyeing the original Alpacka, but I've heard good things about Kokopelli. The Hornet-Lite seems like a great choice for stillwater - or most any non-whitewater - and at barely 5#.

TMR, I'll post. But, if you look at the site, and you want a whitewater raft, they have a couple of bundles that would do that, as well. That being said, I'm excited, and I will let y'all know how it works. I think it's going to be a bit like me and hammock camping. I had a couple of hammocks, but never an underquilt, until I bought a kit by Hammock Gear. It all worked together for what I wanted to do--the important part being "it worked together." I looked at the whitewater versions, but I know I'm not going to do that. And those boats weigh more. And the color isn't as pretty. Nope. I'll let you know.

So this is what I bought yesterday at REI's big sale.

72.jpg

As you can see, I bought some new hiking poles. Now I can finally get rid of my crooked mismatched pair. No wisecracks @Rockskipper. :) Let's see, I also got a coupe of lightweight small stuff sacks so that I can carry heavy things in them. A small green Nalgene bottle, just because I like the color. I really wanted a small mouthed 32 oz. Nalgene because we lost one on our Lookout Peak hike, but they were completely sold out of 32 oz. Nalgene bottles. Imagine that? Three pair of socks made it into my shopping bag too. Since I am taking an external frame pack into the Yellowstone backcountry this weekend, I needed plenty of straps so that I can attach a whole bunch of gear to the pack. Of course, I bought some meals too. Oh, and two groundhog stakes, just in case I have to take care of a vampire in the backcountry. Oh, and least I forget, a Flexlite Camp Chair! I'm going to be lounging @Bob!

So this is what I bought yesterday at REI's big sale.

View attachment 121430

As you can see, I bought some new hiking poles. Now I can finally get rid of my crooked mismatched pair. No wisecracks @Rockskipper. :) Let's see, I also got a coupe of lightweight small stuff sacks so that I can carry heavy things in them. A small green Nalgene bottle, just because I like the color. I really wanted a small mouthed 32 oz. Nalgene because we lost one on our Lookout Peak hike, but they were completely sold out of 32 oz. Nalgene bottles. Imagine that? Three pair of socks made it into my shopping bag too. Since I am taking an external frame pack into the Yellowstone backcountry this weekend, I needed plenty of straps so that I can attach a whole bunch of gear to the pack. Of course, I bought some meals too. Oh, and two groundhog stakes, just in case I have to take care of a vampire in the backcountry. Oh, and least I forget, a Flexlite Camp Chair! I'm going to be lounging @Bob!
Thanks for the reminder - only 7 hours 20 minutes left (for me in EST)...