What did you buy today?

Got my second pair of La Sportiva Ultra Raptors today. First pair was purchased almost four years ago so I was looong overdue on these. Haha. That pair was near indestructible, so I hope this pair is just as good.

PXL_20210710_220043536.jpg

You have th duplex, right? How does it do with condensation in th mountains? I’m lookin to get a new tent as mine is goin on 16 yrs old!I
Since it's single-walled, it can get damp under humid conditions. Most people just wipe it down. I'm not too worried, given that it's so huge that I'm unlikely to touch the walls. TBH, my double-walled Nemo (fly and tent) got pretty damp in the Pyrenees in Spain with the morning dew and I had to unpack it and dry it out mid-morning on most days.

Got my second pair of La Sportiva Ultra Raptors today. First pair was purchased almost four years ago
That is a long time. I tend to wear out the soles quicker than most running shoes b/c they are slightly sticky rubber. I wore a pair on the Stevens/Fold loop. They are great scrambling shoes.

That is a long time. I tend to wear out the soles quicker than most running shoes b/c they are slightly sticky rubber. I wore a pair on the Stevens/Fold loop. They are great scrambling shoes.
Oh yeah if I actually ran in them I'd have replaced them before now. They still seemed supportive enough for my hiking and backpacking until recently. And yeah, the tread has worn down quite a bit now!

Definitely good for scrambling with how sturdy the sole is and how good the grip is! I had the Wildcats before these, and they were very similar, but the upper just couldn't hold up under my use and it blew out in under a year. Glad these ones are tougher.

I've tried a huge assortment of synthetic top and bottom baselayers over the years, but today's "training hike" was the first time trying lightweight tights. Don't know the name-UnderArmour ones with a cell phone pocket that were an impulse buy at Academy.
I thought they seemed a little warm at first, but never felt like I got any hotter, even with a 108F heat index.
Durability and odor control remain to be seen, but they're incredibly comfortable.
I do too much bushwhacking for anything to replace long pants, but am already envisioning the white or light gray versions for sun protection above treeline out West, or really any ontrail hiking.
20210727_135045.jpg
Never thought I'd be buying tights, but I really like these things.

My friend sent me a Katadyn BeFree, and a 2L HydraPak water bag I ordered to go with it was waiting when I got home this morning.
20210820_080334.jpg
Seemed appropriate that I had liked the wider opening(vs. the Evernew bags for my Sawyers) of his HydraPak when refilling it for him a couple times in the Weminuche 3yrs ago, and had the same map we used then spread out on the floor when my HydraPak came :)

Got my second pair of La Sportiva Ultra Raptors today. First pair was purchased almost four years ago so I was looong overdue on these. Haha. That pair was near indestructible, so I hope this pair is just as good.

View attachment 99951
I've had mine for about 3 years now and love them. They are super grippy for slickrock. Mine have lots of miles left in them but I should probably get another pair before they change styles

Destroyed a pair boulder hopping in the beartooths....only 2 years

scat I am not a lawyer but I think your post officially requires you to take this cat on a backpacking trip

I am a lawyer and can confirm that that's legally binding.

so … does said cat need to be leashed while in Yellowstone? Asking for a friend …

Scat has an adventure cat!!!

Juniper is a pretty adventurous cat as long as she is within roughly 50 feet of my property line, beyond that she starts to get nervous. She does love tents though.

that's a long time. I have the women's version of the ULtra Raptors but mine usually last about a year, that's it. After a year there is usually nothing left of the rubber sole

Came home from a trip to UT, and my parents picked me up from the airport with a package I'd had shipped to their address in tow.
Montbell's Superior Down Parka.
z_2301237_rbl.jpg
It's basically a lightweight(257g/9.0oz actual) version of their Alpine Light Down Parka(397g/14.0oz) that I've had for about a decade. The Alpine Light is way too warm for me in normal backpacking use. Its CLO value is such that the average person supposedly maintains body temperature in it at 21F, but I run so hot that it's a 0F jacket for me.
Being a want, not a need, I waited for the Superior parka to go on closeout, and caught a size Large for $167.20(they still have Men's Small in Dove Grey and Royal Blue if anyone's interested). I had done the same thing with the Alpine Light, and got it for $169.
The Superior Parka has all the features of the Alpine Light, but lighter material, quilted baffling, and less insulation, making it more of a "sweater weight", though I think it'd take quite a sweater to match up to this thing!
It's loftier than I expected...
20210915_215453.jpg
Great jacket for a great price, even at the full $209 retail.

While I'm in gear babble mode, the Montane Minimus Stretch jacket and Minimus rain pants I posted about a while back performed admirably in the High Uintas. The one dislike was when ditching my hiking pants and trying the rain pants over boxer briefs on a day that it rained on me 10 separate times(there was a lot of experimenting with layers that day!). When the sun came out and roasted everything between storms, I might as well have been wearing a trash bag. Very hot, and stuck to my legs. On the other hand, when I put them on over wet pants, the pants actually dried out while being worn underneath them, which I thought was pretty amazing.
20210911_160726.jpg
Meanwhile, the ZPacks Multipack I use as a chest pack failed in heavy rain a few weeks ago, and all my stuff got wet, so I've been putting my rain jacket on top of it since^^^.

Last edited:
Ordered a Hilleberg Akto tent back in May and it finally arrived last week. I set it up in the front yard this afternoon. Of course, the two bosses of the house had to give their approval before I'm allowed to use it. :)
IMG_3395.JPG
IMG_3396.JPG
IMG_3392.JPG
IMG_3394.JPG
IMG_3403.JPG
IMG_3410.JPG
IMG_3413.JPG
IMG_3414.JPG

Ordered a Hilleberg Akto tent back in May and it finally arrived last week. I set it up in the front yard this afternoon. Of course, the two bosses of the house had to give their approval before I'm allowed to use it. :)
View attachment 102359
View attachment 102360
View attachment 102361
View attachment 102362
View attachment 102363
View attachment 102365
View attachment 102367
View attachment 102370
One can never have too many tents, eh? Looks nice … using it soon?