What did you buy today?

Nice. With doors would have been my choice, as well.
The situations where I use mine will be fairly limited due to the lack of them.
But when I do...that weight and packed size...:roflmao:

I have a ultralight mosquito net bivy I can pair with it if needed. Definitely taking the Duplex during cedar gnat season though.

@Miya I am happy to say I splurged and made the jump to the Sony A6600.
I got to do a few extra gigs this past month, and got a deal. It arrived late yesterday.
Heading south tomorrow, so just in time to baptize it with a little sand and sun.
If I can get another couple extra side gigs next week, then I will be watching cyber Monday to get a longer lens... Heck, even if I can't, I will probably be watching Monday.
I have the kit 18-135 and added the Samyang 12mm.

I'd be surprised if we didn't have a ski swap! Haha. I really should check out some secondhand stores too, at least for poles, and maybe even to scavenge an old set of 3-pin telemark or nordic bindings, since that's what I'm wanting to get. Seems like everywhere has some old used xc skis for sale. Haha.

Right on! I hope things work out so you can make it up here (and I hope more snow falls soon so you have a bit more to ski on). There's nothing quite like the GYE in the winter. I've got my eye on a few areas in the Gallatin and Madison ranges for some good skiing.

wait with buying shoes until you have your bindings. There are so many different types of bindings out on the market.

Well, yeah, let's pray for a lot of snow. The more the merrier. I don't mind the cold and snow, I actually would love it. I follow Montana Local News closely and still hope my trip can happen.

wait with buying shoes until you have your bindings. There are so many different types of bindings out on the market.

Well, yeah, let's pray for a lot of snow. The more the merrier. I don't mind the cold and snow, I actually would love it. I follow Montana Local News closely and still hope my trip can happen.

@Jackson I agree with Yvonne, just be careful with your boots/bindings and make sure they're compatible. I made that mistake once and had to return a set of bindings because they wouldn't work with the boots I had. I had purchased an "older" pair of Dynafit bindings off a clearance rack but didn't realize the reason they were so cheap was that they had since changed their design, so it was really hard to find boots that were compatible. REI was good about the return, but it was just kind of a PITA. These were AT bindings, though, so a little different than XC, but I know there are several types of XC bindings as well.

@Jackson I agree with Yvonne, just be careful with your boots/bindings and make sure they're compatible. I made that mistake once and had to return a set of bindings because they wouldn't work with the boots I had. I had purchased an "older" pair of Dynafit bindings off a clearance rack but didn't realize the reason they were so cheap was that they had since changed their design, so it was really hard to find boots that were compatible. REI was good about the return, but it was just kind of a PITA. These were AT bindings, though, so a little different than XC, but I know there are several types of XC bindings as well.
I appreciate it!

I decided to buy a new set of Voile 3-pin bindings, and they should be compatible with most 75mm 3-pin boots.

I lost the pole jack for my MLD Solomid XL last September, and finally got around to ordering a replacement and TWO spares, plus a water bottle pouch and a little packing cube for my bivy(I'm getting too fancy for keeping it in a ZipLoc freezer bag).
Anyway, 30min after getting the email saying my pole jacks had shipped, I found the one that had been lost for 5 months.
The replacement and spares will be here today.
Guess I'm set for life as far as 6" pole jacks are concerned...

MLD's water bottle holder seems like it'll be ok. I was worried my arm would be banging into it. Does kind of graze it when I simulate hiking.
20210228_132548.jpg

The medium DX 210D packing cube turned out to be just right for my Katabatic Bristlecone bivy.
And then there's the pole jacks. Could I have found something more boring to become a collector of?
20210228_132814.jpg

In a spur of the moment decision, I bought a MSR Pocket Rocket Deluxe over the weekend from Al's, a local retailer, while browsing there and saw that all their backpacking stoves happened to be 20% off. That made it about $56 over the typical $70 retail. Now that I've slept on it a couple nights and read through many more reviews, I'm heavily considering returning it, despite the great deal on it, and going for what it was designed to compete with, the Soto Windmaster, which is a stove I actually had on my wish list for this year that I had been considering before the MSR anyway.

1614613399753.png

For what it's worth to any others who can't resist (assuming that sale is still on this week) and who are local here in Utah/Idaho, specifically near Idaho Falls, Logan, or Orem, they also had the new Jetboil Stash system out on shelf that just shipped last week. And as a stove, it too was part of the 20% off stove sale. So it could be picked up for about $100 over the retail of $130.

It was awfully tempting for me as a gear fan, but even on sale, it still felt a little too overpriced for me for what it is and don't trust that the stove itself is as wind resistant now as their original integrated systems are (I do have a Zip). But alas, I also already have a Toaks 700mL Ti Pot, and an OliCamp 1L XTS pot for when I'd want to boil larger volumes and it too has a flux ring on it, and thus figured that the MSR PDR or Soto would be a very nice match for those pots as an upgrade over my old trusty SnowPeak.

Now, if the Stash stove had the same concave burner head on it with a little windshield lip on the rim and a micro regulator, like the MSR and Soto stoves already mentioned, then that'd be another story and I would have been all over it, because that would promise to be even more efficient and would be a very light weight and versatile setup and would make such a high price well worth it IMO. It is a compact and clever little system. Not sure what all is going on with any patents between Soto and MSR though.

1614614243282.png

Last edited:
My wife gave me a Eureka ignite plus for my birthday. It should be a nice upgrade for our car camping set up. It will comfortably fit two 12 inch pans. I do have concerns with how wind resistant it will end up being. The burners are not as recessed as some other stoves I have seen.

149914.jpg

My wife gave me a Eureka ignite plus for my birthday. It should be a nice upgrade for our car camping set up. It will comfortably fit two 12 inch pans. I do have concerns with how wind resistant it will end up being. The burners are not as recessed as some other stoves I have seen.

View attachment 96543
Nice!!! From what I understand, these things have way more simmer precision that the old classic Coleman stoves (which I have). I think with the 3 sides wind shields it sets up with and a pot/pan over your burner....it should be pretty good. Even my Coleman hasn't been been bother too much by wind unless it's coming from the open side, or it's really really gusty out.

Nice!!! From what I understand, these things have way more simmer precision that the old classic Coleman stoves (which I have). I think with the 3 sides wind shields it sets up with and a pot/pan over your burner....it should be pretty good. Even my Coleman hasn't been been bother too much by wind unless it's coming from the open side, or it's really really gusty out.

I have already been playing with the simmer, it is a huge improvement over the coleman. We are headed on a trip next week so I'll let you know how I like it.

The Eureka stove held up admirably to Escalante winds, had to use my body to shield the front, but that was nice to stay warm anyway. The amount of control for those burners is amazing for a camp stove.

Just bought this total unnecessary mini pump gadget, but I LOVE IT! 40 seconds and the pad is fully inflated. Since I do both our sleeping pads, this should save a few precious minutes every fall/winter evening and get me to a cold beer quicker. :D
Let's hope it lasts!
IMG_7951.jpeg

My obsession with Yellowstone continues. . .

I think I've read every modern trail guide so I thought I'd give some vintage ones a try. It is interesting to have a perspective from before the fires of '88.

The mussels are part of an effort to convince Scatman that he should let me tag along with him sometime next year (they have a good shelf life ;) ) -- he is all about the bear sightings and the odors from his Tuna did not bring any in this past September. I may throw in a tin of sardines for good measure. . .

View attachment 93437
Mussels n orange circus peanuts….Make sure ya remind me to pitch my tent way, way upwind of ya !

I have a ultralight mosquito net bivy I can pair with it if needed. Definitely taking the Duplex during cedar gnat season though.
You have th duplex, right? How does it do with condensation in th mountains? I’m lookin to get a new tent as mine is goin on 16 yrs old!