What did you buy today?

It'll get so much faster.

Also, in addition to being able to setup the inner w/o fly (which is fun in clear weather), in bad weather I highly recommend packing the inner and fly separately so that the fly can be put up quickly and you can keep the inner dry.

Enjoy it!

Good tip! I am interested to see if I can get to a point where I pitch it like a tarp and sleep without the mesh inside. I tend to like my bug protection, but want to try new things!

ZPacks Hexamid Pocket Tarp.
I didn't buy it, my friend gifted it to me, along with a Solo Plus bathtub floor.
Gotta make some changes, like adding tensioners on the front corners and beak to make setup even easier('cause 2min 6sec with the wind blowing the tarp all over the place was soooo slow:rolleyes:), but I really like this thing.
Unless the weather's nasty, this(plus floor or bivy) is gonna be IT for fall through spring in heavy woods at low elevation!
I may bring it out to the desert in December, just in case there's a chance of snow or something, as I'm planning to cowboy camp with my bivy, otherwise.
Without stakes, the tarp+floor is a whopping 242g/8.5oz. So right around 11oz with floor and stakes, and 15oz total with a Katabatic Bristlecone bivy in place of the floor.
And I thought that SMD Deschutes Zero-G I had to send back was light...
20200921_091532.jpg

UPS just dropped off a new addition to my arsenal. Scott Flex 9ft 6wt (made by local boys over in Montrose) and a Sage Spectrum reel spun up with SA's Amplitude Infinity line.

I do believe the weekend is going to get off to an early start today...

IMG_4312.JPG

UPS just dropped off a new addition to my arsenal. Scott Flex 9ft 6wt (made by local boys over in Montrose) and a Sage Spectrum reel spun up with SA's Amplitude Infinity line.

I do believe the weekend is going to get off to an early start today...

View attachment 92539
I'm also interested in that whiskey collection in the background.

Whiskey and fly rods are some things I heartily approve. Bit of a Scott fanboy myself.

Got to play with more gear that I didn't buy, but is new, this week.
Not pictured, but Exped sent me a replacement for my 5yr old Synmat HyperLite M that finally blew a baffle(known problem with older versions) week before last.
Also got a warranty replacement for a 2014 Osprey Exos 38. They actually offered me a new one in November of 2014, but I declined returning a pack over little holes in the mesh pockets.
After years of taping them up, those mesh pockets were in pretty bad shape, so I finally sent it in.
20201014_104145.jpg

My obsession with Yellowstone continues. . .

I think I've read every modern trail guide so I thought I'd give some vintage ones a try. It is interesting to have a perspective from before the fires of '88.

The mussels are part of an effort to convince Scatman that he should let me tag along with him sometime next year (they have a good shelf life ;) ) -- he is all about the bear sightings and the odors from his Tuna did not bring any in this past September. I may throw in a tin of sardines for good measure. . .

KIMG0773.JPG

My obsession with Yellowstone continues. . .

I think I've read every modern trail guide so I thought I'd give some vintage ones a try. It is interesting to have a perspective from before the fires of '88.

The mussels are part of an effort to convince Scatman that he should let me tag along with him sometime next year (they have a good shelf life ;) ) -- he is all about the bear sightings and the odors from his Tuna did not bring any in this past September. I may throw in a tin of sardines for good measure. . .

View attachment 93437

my Yellowstone obsession is incurable. Six weeks were by far not enough this year.

Ordered them last week, but they got here today. New (and first) set of backcountry xc skis. Got these ones in order to be able to handle mild downhill stuff and hopefully largely replace the snowshoes for winter hiking.

Now to spend another $400 on boots and bindings.

PXL_20201118_015451816~2.jpg

Ordered them last week, but they got here today. New (and first) set of backcountry xc skis. Got these ones in order to be able to handle mild downhill stuff and hopefully largely replace the snowshoes for winter hiking.

Now to spend another $400 on boots and bindings.

View attachment 93865
sweet!!! I love my backcountry xc ski and can't wait to be in Yellowstone again for some adventures this winter.

I got my ski last year as a set and it was not bad at all. All was included, ski, poles, and binding. I just needed to buy the boots. Are your ski metal-edge as well?
Yep! Maybe you are better at stomaching costs than I am. Haha.

Skis were $300, bindings will be $70, boots will be $250, getting the bindings mounted will be $50, and I guess we'll need poles too since trekking poles may not suffice?

And we're getting a set for Jessica too, so multiply those costs by 2. Haha.

Yep! Maybe you are better at stomaching costs than I am. Haha.

Skis were $300, bindings will be $70, boots will be $250, getting the bindings mounted will be $50, and I guess we'll need poles too since trekking poles may not suffice?

And we're getting a set for Jessica too, so multiply those costs by 2. Haha.
definitely get real ski poles. Trekking poles are a bit too short for skiing. I always hate them when I snowshoe in deep snow and wished they were longer. Do you have something like a ski swap up north? I bet they do. That's a place to get shoes and poles pretty inexpensive.
We even have one in St. George in December

But once you have everything you're ready to go for many years.
I'm hopefully in your neck of the woods most of December and some of January. We'll see what COVID-19 decides, hopefully, no stricter measurements

definitely get real ski poles. Trekking poles are a bit too short for skiing. I always hate them when I snowshoe in deep snow and wished they were longer. Do you have something like a ski swap up north? I bet they do. That's a place to get shoes and poles pretty inexpensive.
We even have one in St. George in December

But once you have everything you're ready to go for many years.
I'm hopefully in your neck of the woods most of December and some of January. We'll see what COVID-19 decides, hopefully, no stricter measurements
I'd be surprised if we didn't have a ski swap! Haha. I really should check out some secondhand stores too, at least for poles, and maybe even to scavenge an old set of 3-pin telemark or nordic bindings, since that's what I'm wanting to get. Seems like everywhere has some old used xc skis for sale. Haha.

Right on! I hope things work out so you can make it up here (and I hope more snow falls soon so you have a bit more to ski on). There's nothing quite like the GYE in the winter. I've got my eye on a few areas in the Gallatin and Madison ranges for some good skiing.

I splurged and bought the "with Door" model (already have a Duplex) recently.
Nice. With doors would have been my choice, as well.
The situations where I use mine will be fairly limited due to the lack of them.
But when I do...that weight and packed size...:roflmao: