What did you buy today?

Sea to Summit long titanium spoon? If you eat freeze dried meals it's great. Sturdy too. I think I could take out a bear with it.
If any of you have a porcelain sink never leave titanium cookware in it. It will stain quickly and you’ll be in trouble.

There are certain sources that are so pure and wonderful, it's almost criminal to treat them.

Yes! I was up in the mountains this summer and got sent on a water run and found a little cascade coming out of a big snowbank and just sat there and drank about a liter of the clearest, coldest, best tasting water. I think the only better water I know is from a well on my dad's farm which must have just the right mineral content or something.

OTOH, I ran outta aquamira for a few days by accident this summer, had to drink from a couple of questionable sources, and came down with giardia symptoms two weeks later. To your point, not all water is created equal.

Yep! Those little pills weigh nothing and I generally try to bring enough to finish out a trip.

Yes! I was up in the mountains this summer and got sent on a water run and found a little cascade coming out of a big snowbank and just sat there and drank about a liter of the clearest, coldest, best tasting water. I think the only better water I know is from a well on my dad's farm which must have just the right mineral content or something.

Yep! Those little pills weigh nothing and I generally try to bring enough to finish out a trip.
The tablets are pretty expensive though. I use the liquid drops, which area little more work but a tiny fraction of the cost. A pair of bottles costs 10 bucks and lasts me 45 days of everyday use.

so I haven't used it under adverse conditions yet but so far I SUPER like this setup:
drawbacks:
- expensive
- not that light
- can't drop or freeze filter unit

I may be going for one of those soon too. Been using a Sawyer Mini since I first started backpacking, but after sharing it with one other person on a 3-night trip, I'm not a fan of how slow it is.

x2 on that request @Tipi Walter. Volume? How much weight do you carry in it when it's fully loaded?

You might be interested in this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075X5R67T/?tag=backcountrypo-20

A buddy of mine had one when we were in Jasper and Banff and I loved it. So I purchased it before heading to the Sierras a few weeks ago. Just scoop and squeeze. Super easy. Super fast!

Well, my Osprey Atmos from 2012 finally reached the end of it's life this past weekend. I had originally wanted to replace it earlier this year with a new one, but the newer Atmos 65 AG suspension did not fit me well at all, so I was able to squeeze another season out of my old pack....barely.

Since REI has a sale starting today, I went to the store on Wednesday and tried on a few different packs, including the Atmos 65 AG again (I really wanted to like it), and I still didn't like it. I did however try the Gregory Baltoro 65 which has all the features of the Atmos that I liked, and then some, so I ordered one today. It seems like it might even fit my long torso better than the Atmos did. I'm looking forward to trying it out early next year and hopefully it will serve me as well as my old Atmos did....

Baltoro65-2019.jpg

Well, my Osprey Atmos from 2012 finally reached the end of it's life this past weekend. I had originally wanted to replace it earlier this year with a new one, but the newer Atmos 65 AG suspension did not fit me well at all, so I was able to squeeze another season out of my old pack....barely.

Since REI has a sale starting today, I went to the store on Wednesday and tried on a few different packs, including the Atmos 65 AG again (I really wanted to like it), and I still didn't like it. I did however try the Gregory Baltoro 65 which has all the features of the Atmos that I liked, and then some, so I ordered one today. It seems like it might even fit my long torso better than the Atmos did. I'm looking forward to trying it out early next year and hopefully it will serve me as well as my old Atmos did....

Baltoro65-2019.jpg

I have a Baltoro 65. A little on the heavy side, but very comfortable. Carries loads well.

In anticipation of some backcountry exploration next year I dug out some of my old gear for evaluation. Sadly I found the urethane lining in my trusty Dana Design Bridger was breaking down and getting tacky. I was going to try the talcum powder approach to eliminating the stickiness, but then found the next generation of Dana's packs on sale/clearance so I picked up a Mystery Ranch Sphinx. Bonus points if you can find the pooch photobombing the pic.

5J5A2529.JPG

Fit seems good so far. Looking forward to loading it up and hiking around the farm for some conditioning/break in. . . of me, not the pack. :)

I have an osprey messenger back I have used to haul work stuff around in for years that is getting that tackiness. Do you just apply talcum powder to the tacky areas and then brush it off?

I have an osprey messenger back I have used to haul work stuff around in for years that is getting that tackiness. Do you just apply talcum powder to the tacky areas and then brush it off?

That is one approach that I read about online. Apparently the waterproofing/urethane layer can start to break down over time leading to a sticky feel and also a bad smell. I don't have the stink part yet, but didn't like the idea of having to peel my stuff off the side of the pack.

HAHA on that little nose sticking out. Very cute.

I took that pic yesterday morning before heading off to work. Stu usually sleeps the day away but was probably keeping an eye on me in case food somehow became involved. :p

When my old Patagonia puffy finally reached the end of it's well used life, I started looking for a replacement. I don't buy equipment often, so I want it to last. My go to brand is usually Arcteryx, but I looked at the Arcteryx Cerium LT, Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whisperer, and the Feathered Friends Eos. I won't get into the details, as I usually agonize over these things, mainly because I know I will get into trouble with Nancy no matter what I do. Suffice it to say it was an agonizing, yet fun decision. I narrowed it down to Mountain Hardware, Arcteryx and Feathered Friends. The Mountain Hardware jacket looked beautiful, and was at the top of most of the online reviews. But it only had 800 fill down, and I wanted higher, and the down was treated for water resistance, which I just did not like. I ended up ordering the Arcteryx jacket, along with the Feathered Friends Eos (the Eos was back ordered, and they did not know when they would ship). Upon receiving the Arcteryx jacket, with it's 850 fill down and it's beautiful workmanship, I thought I had my jacket. But I did not like it's $370 price tag. Plus it used synthetic materials around the shoulders, which was a minus for me. So I sent it back, after realizing I could get it cheaper on Ebay. Then I got the email saying the Feathered Friends jacket would be shipping. I was excited, as I have had a few of their sleeping bags, one is almost 20 years old, and found their workmanship and customer service to be top notch. Plus it was assembled in the US, which was nice. After I received it I was blown away. It just felt good, 900+ fill down, beautiful details. The only minor issue was the hood, with only elastic did not really fit tight enough, I think it might blow off in a high wind. But that was not a deal killer.
The medium fits slightly large on me (5'-8" 150), which I like, easy to move around in. I hardly know that it is on, not like the Arcteryx jacket that did not have the loft this jacket has.

It has performed flawlessly, I was warm for over an hour in 15 degrees, with a light shirt underneath. That's about it. I would have been happy with any of the jackets, but I am happy with my purchase, even at $340.

Last edited:
I don't understand why manufacturers put the big freaking labels on their coats, especially at these price points. Take a fraction of the massive profit you are making from the sale and fund some advertisements that don't involve me or what I'm wearing.

I have passed on many a fine coat because of it. It just irks me to death. I have the cerium you passed on, and that dinosaur skeleton logo is right at my threshold, lol. I also have the ghost whisperer (got both on good sales) and I don't remember any logo on that one at all, though you can see the filling through the ultra-super-insanely thin shell and that's a whole other level of triggering...