What are the fall colors in southern Utah like right now?

Krissi Cook

Videographer/Editor
I'd love to go to Zion and Capitol Reef this weekend and get a few fall shots. Did the leaves look like they were on their way out? Or do I have this weekend to get some good shots? Anyone been to Capitol Reef in the last week?

I'd love to go to Zion this weekend and get a few fall shots. Did the leaves look like they were on their way out? Or do I have this weekend to get some good shots? Also I want to hit Capitol Reef.

There is some good color in the main canyon but it's much further along than it normally would be this time of year. It should still be pretty nice this weekend. The shot I took above was on the trail to Weeping Rock.

I'd love to go to Zion this weekend and get a few fall shots. Did the leaves look like they were on their way out? Or do I have this weekend to get some good shots? Also I want to hit Capitol Reef.

I was just in Zion as well, and there is some color in the main canyon, but the leaves are definitely on the way out. Very few leaves in The Subway, Emerald Pools, or the Observation Point trail. When I left the park at 4:30 yesterday there was a really strong wind, so I'm betting even more leaves got knocked down. The best color I saw was along the Riverside Walk.

Perfect, good to know. Thank you so much!! I am wondering if anyone got anything actually up the narrows, or if the leaves are colorful there (for the few trees that are in there). I'm thinking of renting a drysuit and heading up a couple miles to get some video and photos, but don't really know if it is already bare. Did anyone brave the water and to know this?

I split this out into it's own discussion so I can post a few photos from places around the park this past weekend without totally derailing the Bag Night Challenge thread. I'll post those momentarily...

Perfect, good to know. Thank you so much!! I am wondering if anyone got anything actually up the narrows, or if the leaves are colorful there (for the few trees that are in there). I'm thinking of renting a drysuit and heading up a couple miles to get some video and photos, but don't really know if it is already bare. Did anyone brave the water and to know this?

I thought about doing the Narrows again, but decided against it. I think that you could still see some nice color there. The trees leading up to the Narrows looked better than anywhere else in the park. The foliage in there would be a bit more protected from the winds as well.

I hiked the Subway this weekend and there weren't a lot leaves left along the trail.
I was kind of disappointed because I planned this particular foliage trip to the Subway for a long time.

If you want to hike and see some of the fall colors you need to hurry. Another storm system is moving in today and tomorrow and I'm pretty sure most of the leaves will be gone very soon.
I will try to get back this week and see if anything is left after the storm moves out and the weather looks more appealing for shooting in Zion.

@Nick Sorry, this is a silly question, but I'd like to ask the same thing about Capitol Reef, if anyone has been there recently. How do I start a new thread?

So here's what I found in Zion this weekend. Just a few shots from around the park to give you an idea of color. I haven't processed many yet.

Out the shuttle window at Court of the Patriarchs - lots of green still.

IMG_3603.jpg

Out in front of the The Zion Lodge
IMG_3609.jpg

Bridge to the Emerald Pools trail:
IMG_3660.jpg

Upper Emerald Pools - not much left.
IMG_3861.jpg

Weeping Rock trail:
IMG_4231.jpg

River Walk Trail:
IMG_4540.jpg

Going further up into the narrows might get you some goods but be prepared to be very cold. You can rent dry pants and neo socks/boots in Springdale if you're determined. The colors are gone this year way faster than previous years in the area. Check out these two trip reports from last year. They were on Oct 26 and 27th and the colors were magnificent but most of Zion Canyon was still completely green.

http://backcountrypost.com/forum/threads/fall-in-mystery-canyon.1562/

http://backcountrypost.com/forum/threads/russell-gulch-the-subway.1600/

Last year in Zion for comparison (Oct 26-27) for those who don't click through to the links above.

mystery-canyon-zion-fall-23-jpg.6438

russell-gulch-to-subway-21-jpg.6801

russell-gulch-to-subway-23-jpg.6803

Perfect. Thanks for the pics! Those are amazing, holy moly! Hopefully I can get some good ones at least along the Riverside Trail. I know it's snowing in Cedar right now, I may be just one week too late!

Thanks, Krissi!

If anyone has been through Capitol Reef I'd also love to know the status. I think I'm going to be going through Escalante, Capitol Reef, Cedar Mesa and Moab this weekend on a whirlwind tour to do some short hikes and it would be sweet if there is any color left.

I just drove through Zion and most of the color is gone, but didn't go into the main canyon. I'm doing the Narrows on Wednesday, that usually lasts much longer so keeping my fingers crossed. When I was in the Narrows Oct 19 the cottonwoods and maples hadn't even turned yet, but it's amazing how fast things go.

Thanks, Krissi!

If anyone has been through Capitol Reef I'd also love to know the status. I think I'm going to be going through Escalante, Capitol Reef, Cedar Mesa and Moab this weekend on a whirlwind tour to do some short hikes and it would be sweet if there is any color left.

Just love that Mystery Canyon shot!

My experience is that Capitol Reef usually turns before Zion. I was there last November 10 and just about all the color was gone, and since fall came early this year I'm betting there's not much left.

You would have been right on time most years.

I guess you're right but it is still disappointing.
So hopefully next year I will get my chance

Just a comparison:

This is my shot of red ledges, taken this weekend.

i-bS9ccBX-L.jpg

I somehow had your shot with the colorful trees in mind when I planned this trip.
Really depressing to see everything was gone so early