Russell Gulch & The Subway

Nick

-
I'll admit it, I think I may have done the Subway enough now. But what can I say, it's fun! After the Backcountrypost group trip in May, I decided I wasn't going to do it again until I could do the Das Boot variation, so with some company coming in to town in late October, I booked the permits and planned the trip as part of a long Zion weekend.

The day before the Subway, we descended Mystery Canyon. It was mostly dry but the wet stretches were might cold, confirming our suspicions that perhaps Das Boot was not the best plan for the time of year and for our group. I'm notoriously comfortable in cold water, but others in our group lacked the copious amounts of natural 'insulation' that I have. ;)

So we decided to switch the plan just a bit and come into The Subway by way of Russell Gulch. It's a fun entrance that adds a little bit of time and a lot of fun to the standard route. Amongst that fun is three extra rappels, all a little under 100 feet each and some short stretches of icy cold water. At the end of Russell Gulch, the route connects with the standard Subway route and we still get to appreciate all the charms of that hike as well. You can't go wrong!

The group starting down the slickrock towards Russell Gulch
russell-gulch-to-subway-1.jpg

Dropping into Russell Gulch. From here it's just easy hiking and a few fun raps.
russell-gulch-to-subway-2.jpg

Once we diverted from the main trail to Russell, we realized we were once again in for a treat in the form of incredible fall colors.
russell-gulch-to-subway-4.jpg

russell-gulch-to-subway-5.jpg

Looking down from the first rappel in Russell Gulch. The added fun on this rap is a pothole about half way down that is typically full of water. If you have the skills, or with a little help from someone tugging the rope below, you can avoid it. But if you're like me, it's a nice mid-rap dunk in the drink. Preparation for the short wade coming up at the bottom.
russell-gulch-to-subway-6.jpg

neiloro making the swim while colefeet raps
russell-gulch-to-subway-7.jpg

russell-gulch-to-subway-8.jpg

The walk between the first and second raps is relatively long. A good time to put away the rope and enjoy the scenery. There's nothing really technical about it, especially if you don't mind getting a little wet.
russell-gulch-to-subway-9.jpg

russell-gulch-to-subway-10.jpg

russell-gulch-to-subway-11.jpg

I am so in love with fall in Zion. All you skinny folk need to invest in more neoprene because this is going to become a tradition!
russell-gulch-to-subway-12.jpg

Yes, that is ice.
russell-gulch-to-subway-13.jpg

The second rappel in Russell is a real treat. The watercourse takes a curious turn here, dumping into a huge chamber from the side. Sometimes the it's a swimming disconnect and others, like on this trip, it's just a wade. Either way, it's a lot of fun! I put away my camera from here until the bottom of the second rappel, and then again until the bottom of The Subway, so this much of this part of the trip is covered in the video below.

I tried my best to crunch this all down into a really short video. I even tried just making little videos to slip in in chunks. But it didn't really work out. Without good audio, little videos aren't much fun, and with a waterproof case on your camera, audio is poor. And as far as crunching it down more, I've come to the conclusion that I'm not much good at that! So enjoy! Or don't! :D

A few photos from the last rap in Russell Gulch. The colors were insane.
russell-gulch-to-subway-15.jpg

russell-gulch-to-subway-16.jpg

Now in the Subway, the colors were still quite nice.
russell-gulch-to-subway-18.jpg

Looking up as we drop into The Bowling Alley
russell-gulch-to-subway-19.jpg

Just before Keyhole Falls
russell-gulch-to-subway-20.jpg

And the Subway. This is the reason we really wanted to hit it late enough in the year. GOLD.
russell-gulch-to-subway-21.jpg

russell-gulch-to-subway-22.jpg

One of my favorite scenes along the hike, The Red Ledges.
russell-gulch-to-subway-23.jpg

russell-gulch-to-subway-24.jpg

Mandy wandering down canyon. Time for the not-as-fun-but-still-pretty-fun part of the hike.
russell-gulch-to-subway-25.jpg

The dinosaur tracks. A nice mid-way point to take a break on the hike out.
russell-gulch-to-subway-26.jpg

I raced ahead to the trailhead and had some time to sit and sip on a beer while everyone else made their way up the steep climb out. And just when you think life just might not get any better.... the sun sets.
russell-gulch-to-subway-27.jpg

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

fantastic trip, Nick!! You were there during the right time of the year. The raps look like so much fun, great route with lot of interesting parts.
And the golden Subway - I'm so envious. I would love to see it that way one day.

Very nice! It was a great hike in May with the spring colors, but WOW!

I will buy two more wetsuits to do that again next year. it was so stinkin' pretty. and really, for ice being on the water and all it was actually very tolerable ( i was imagining that i'd be an ice cube by the time i got out of there. instead i was barely even blue!) I LOVE THE VIDEO!

What do you think of the new bolts?

I liked them a lot better than the old bolts. It always kind of baffled me that the rotting logs stuck in that crack were reliable enough to keep access open to the other bolts and jumping the gap is a bit sketchy, especially for such a popular route. I do kind of wish there was an anchor in the watercourse there. Back when the big log was leaning in, I saw it slung up a couple of times. Obviously a lot more difficult just to sling a log without it, as we've seen from the tragedy earlier this year, but still, it would be nice to stay in the watercourse if there was a better anchor/start there.

It was brought to my attention that the video in this trip report kind of blended in with the photos and was possibly missed. So here it is again.

Loved the video. About to finish mine up from August, the day after flash flooding. It was an add experience having the canyon all to ourselves and to see it in such a muddy/chocolatey state (That arch you can swim under was completely full of sand when we passed through), so I'd love to go back under "normal" circumstances.

Is the rappelling for Russell Gulch hard to rig? Or pretty standard? I've done 3 canyons in my life (Eardly, NW Fork of 3 Canyon, and The Subway) and really want to take the Russell Gulch route, but don't want to kill myself or anyone else.

The sand is still there man. Not in the arch but the channel and usual mandatory swim after Keyhole was still totally filled, that's the spot in the video where I fell down and neiloro came and took my picture. I was sad not to be swimming... Same for the pools and channels in the subway proper. No more belly flopping into those until they get scoured back out. :(

The rigging in Russell Gulch should be pretty easy. Definitely not advised for most casual subway hikers but if you have some experience and go prepared, it's quite doable. Be prepared to replace webbing and links but the drops are all bolted. If you have a 200' rope, you can rig everything throw and go and keep it pretty straight forward. If you haven't done any big raps, they could certainly be intimidating though.

Some things to make it go smoother:

Make sure your rope deploys properly and have the middle marked. It's tough, if not impossible to see the bottom of the raps from above.

Some folks used a cow tail while getting on rope at the second rap.

Swimming disconnects are possible on the first and especially the second raps. Easy to lose an ATC in that situation, be prepared.

The sketchiest part of the route is probably the last rap. Not only is it almost all free-hanging, but the down-climb to the rap station is a little sketchy itself. It wouldn't be bad in most circumstances, but if you slipped, you'd probably roll off the huge, overhanging ledge. Also a bad place to drop the rope. If you haven't had any experience with free-hanging raps, it would be best to gain that in a more controlled environment so you can learn your friction. Things change when you're dangling.

If you get to that last rap and don't want to down-climb on the left LDC, there is a big tree on the right LDC that has been slung on both of my trips through. From there you can make a short rap down to the last rap station but you'll probably get wet. I do not advise rapping all the way to the bottom from the tree though. I'm not sure how long of a rap it would be and the pull could be really tricky.

And just below the last rap, use a social trail on the left to bypass the last drop to reconnect with the standard Subway route.

Awesome trip pics and video, Nick. First time I've actually seen the new bolts - hadn't seen any photos or vid yet. Amazing to see how much sand is in the slot below Keyhole Falls.

I love the Russell Gulch entrance - the three raps are all quite different, and interesting. You nailed the info for Tyler. Great to see you doing the technical stuff!

Adding Russell to the mix makes the Subway much more fun! Thanks for the great Trip Report!