West Route to Top Rock, North Coyote Buttes

Des

Hi,

We fly from London to Vegas on the 25th, and then off to Page for 5 evenings.

We have permits for the 28th for NCB...

As this is probably the only time that we will get there ( lottery pain and distance ) I am keen to maximise what we do on the day, arriving at the trail head at sunrise and arrive back at the trailhead around sunset...

Plan is to spend a few hours ( probably 10h00 until 13h00 at the greater Wave area ) and then go up Top Rock near the Second Wave, find Melody Arch and hike down to the Big Mac and then round again via the East side to the Second Wave area...

My question is this, how difficult is the ascent from Second Wave? I am OK with scrambling, but how much exposure is there? Is the route up, semi obvious? How long would the ascent take for a relatively fit 49 year old?

Does any body have any pictures / advice / routes which they could share...?

Any body have any idea on time / hiking distance comparison between :

1. Doing the loop starting with the ascent at Second Wave, versus
2. Going 'there and back' on the east side...

Seems to me that option 1 would save significant time and hiking distance in what is a jam packed day...

Any help and advice gratefully reeceived...

Of course, what we eventually decide to do will also be largely dependent on what the weather turns out to be on that day.

Thanks in Advance!!

Des​

Definitely do the climb up/down instead of the out and back -- it will save you a bunch of time. It's not bad if you're used to hiking on slickrock. I've always done it from top down for some reason which I would consider the "scarier" way to do it. Last time I was with two friends with relatively little experience. When we got to the top they were like "whoa!" Then... going down they were like "ok, this isn't that bad."

I will find a picture for you...

- Jamal

Hmm... I really thought I had a better reference picture. But, here is a shot from where we climbed down. The Wave is near the center of the pic and Second Wave would be around the corner below us to the left.

TopRock.jpg

I realize it's hard to tell much from this pic, but the series of ledges allow one to angle downward w/o any real exposure. It's less steep the farther west you go if I remember correctly. I've done it several times and it's never been a fearful experience -- just one that takes a bit of caution. I'd say it's maybe 10 minutes to climb up/down -- so we aren't talking about a huge climb.

- Jamal

Back