West Route to Top Rock, North Coyote Buttes

Des

Hi,

We fly from London to Vegas on the 25th, and then off to Page for 5 evenings.

We have permits for the 28th for NCB...

As this is probably the only time that we will get there ( lottery pain and distance ) I am keen to maximise what we do on the day, arriving at the trail head at sunrise and arrive back at the trailhead around sunset...

Plan is to spend a few hours ( probably 10h00 until 13h00 at the greater Wave area ) and then go up Top Rock near the Second Wave, find Melody Arch and hike down to the Big Mac and then round again via the East side to the Second Wave area...

My question is this, how difficult is the ascent from Second Wave? I am OK with scrambling, but how much exposure is there? Is the route up, semi obvious? How long would the ascent take for a relatively fit 49 year old?

Does any body have any pictures / advice / routes which they could share...?

Any body have any idea on time / hiking distance comparison between :

1. Doing the loop starting with the ascent at Second Wave, versus
2. Going 'there and back' on the east side...

Seems to me that option 1 would save significant time and hiking distance in what is a jam packed day...

Any help and advice gratefully reeceived...

Of course, what we eventually decide to do will also be largely dependent on what the weather turns out to be on that day.

Thanks in Advance!!

Des​

Definitely do the climb up/down instead of the out and back -- it will save you a bunch of time. It's not bad if you're used to hiking on slickrock. I've always done it from top down for some reason which I would consider the "scarier" way to do it. Last time I was with two friends with relatively little experience. When we got to the top they were like "whoa!" Then... going down they were like "ok, this isn't that bad."

I will find a picture for you...

- Jamal

Hmm... I really thought I had a better reference picture. But, here is a shot from where we climbed down. The Wave is near the center of the pic and Second Wave would be around the corner below us to the left.

TopRock.jpg

I realize it's hard to tell much from this pic, but the series of ledges allow one to angle downward w/o any real exposure. It's less steep the farther west you go if I remember correctly. I've done it several times and it's never been a fearful experience -- just one that takes a bit of caution. I'd say it's maybe 10 minutes to climb up/down -- so we aren't talking about a huge climb.

- Jamal

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
LarryBoy A Route In Between: Mexico to Canada Through the Heart of the West Backpacking 50
scatman Grandeur Peak - West Slope Route - September 3, 2018 Hiking & Camping 12
W Greetings from the West Side of the Winds (Wind River range) Noobs: Introduce yourself! 5
travel2walk Gros Ventre Wilderness: Granite Creek, West Fork Crystal Creek, Crystal Creek, & Swift Creek - June 2021 Backpacking 8
kwc Fall paddle on the West Branch of the Sacandaga River 10/23/22 On The Water 0
Ellen Zion West Rim Trail, December 2022 Trip Planning 3
scatman West Millcreek Ridge - July 10, 2022 Hiking & Camping 22
Rockskipper Outlook poor for fires in the West General Discussion 8
Titans CEDAR MESA VISITS: OPEN AGAIN// (Extended bridge closure, west of Blanding, on SR-95) General Discussion 5
Bushwacker West Clear Creek Ruin Trip Planning 9
scatman Grandeur Peak, The West Slope Approach - October 31, 2020 Hiking & Camping 7
BJett Dolly Sods Wilderness - West Virginia Backpacking 17
McKee80 Roaring Plains West Wilderness Backpacking 8
Blair Ballard West Temple 3.7.20 Hiking & Camping 2
andyjaggy Bikepacking West Desert Trip Planning 16
westy Cave Canyon, Grand Canyon west Hiking & Camping 5
Yvonne Snow Hike up the West Rim, December 15, 2019 Hiking & Camping 7
SteveR Blueberry Hill and West Elk Pass, Alberta Winter Sports 1
P West fork of Salt Creek? Trip Planning 4
chandlerwest Zion - West Rim Loop...........in July???? Hiking & Camping 7
regehr Deseret Peak West Twin Couloir Hiking & Camping 14
DuneElliot Backpacking Scotland's West Highland Way Trip Reports 5
mofca Hello from West Virginia! Noobs: Introduce yourself! 2
Chuck the Mauler Trip ideas near or west of Vegas Trip Planning 8
M Zion West Rim Trail, Early April 2019 Trip Planning 40
Titans Wasson Peak via Hugh Norris trail - Tucson Mountains - SAGUARO NP (WEST) Hiking & Camping 0
tomcat32 Backpacking the West Elk Wilderness Backpacking 9
Ross West Canyon hiking Backpacking 2
Ross West Canyon quicksand (a/one want to go lower West/Face/Labyrinth August? Trip Planning 3
blueeyes West Desert Bikepacking Everything Else 13
David Rule Greetings from the Mid-West Noobs: Introduce yourself! 22
Tim Valentine Catalina Island West Side Everything Else 1
Perry Uinta Highline trail - East to West - Mission Accomplished! Backpacking 24
Outdoors24 Zion West Rim Trail in winter Trip Planning 6
George_Washington_Hayduke White Roost Canyons (east and west forks) & North Fork of Robbers Roost Canyon Canyoneering 3
powderglut A Day at the West Clark Bench Hiking & Camping 11
JoshuaDyal Beckwith Pass in the West Elks Backpacking 0
Perry West Utah Desert Hiking Opportunities? Trip Planning 7
TrektheWorld Rawah Wilderness Camp Lakes to West Branch Loop Backpacking 3
W Virginia and points West Noobs: Introduce yourself! 1
Perry West Fork Blacks Fork River Crossing 2017 Trip Planning 9
westy High Uintas - West Basin Backpacking 0
WasatchWill UHT - Day 5: West Fork Black Fork to Olga Lake Backpacking 2
WasatchWill UHT - Day 1: West Fork Whiterocks to Fox Lake Backpacking 8
Perry Uinta Highline Trail - East to West Backpacking 21
H ON THE ROAD WILD WEST :: Yellowstone, Grand Teton, & Glacier National Park Big Sky Road Trip Photography 8
Nick Primitive spots north/west of Bryce Trip Planning 17
Udink West Fork of Moonshine Wash Hiking & Camping 9
AustinCronnelly Antelope Island- West Side Trail Hiking & Camping 8
danger02ward West Beaver Creek Drainage, Gilbert Lake Backpacking 17