West Rim, Zion National Park

IMG_9394.jpg
We dayhiked the west rim starting near Lava Point and ending in the main canyon. I hadnt dont this hike in about 10 years even though it is probably my favorite Zion hike. Knowing how hot the end of the hike would be I initially wanted to start hiking at the butt crack of dawn but that was not to be and we didnt end up starting the hike until 8AM +-. The first couple of miles arent too spectacular but once the vistas arrive...WOW...
IMG_9393.jpgIMG_9405.jpg IMG_9429_30_31_tonemapped.jpgwestrim.jpg

We hike/ran for most of the hike (well between getting out the tripod, and taking pictures) and ended up doing the entire 13+ miles in about 6 hours. I thought that was a pretty good time considering time for pictures.
IMG_9435_6_7_tonemapped.jpg

By the end of the hike my, usually good knees, sure were feeling it and it was HOT! Even for me being pretty acclimated to the desert I was feeling the heat by the end!
IMG_9460.jpgIMG_9467.jpg
After hiking it I still think this is probably my favorite Zion hike (well other than some of the more semi technical ones such as the Subway and Orderville)

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Easier to check that off your bucket list if you lived in Southern Utah. :D

So beautiful. Tempted to add this to our growing itinerary for october, though I think I'll save it for a return trip and backpack it next time we're out....hmmm

great pics! the more i see of this hike...
...this might have to be moved to the top of my september list. on the verge of some free time to explore for more than an afternoon!

you guys are killing me :D
maybe we'll have to do this as a long day hike on Monday instead of Observation Point half(ish) day hike.... hmmm

you guys are killing me :D
maybe we'll have to do this as a long day hike on Monday instead of Observation Point half(ish) day hike.... hmmm

Well worth it, IMO. Pay the dough, get the early shuttle and all in all it won't take that much longer than Observation.

do we need a backcountry permit for a west rim day hike?
What's the skinny on the shuttle?

You don't need a permit to day hike it. You can hire a shuttle from some place like ZAC. I believe it's something like $39 per person. Not cheap but considering it would take you 2 hours round trip to go pick your car back up and return to Springdale, well worth it.

Back