West Rim, Zion National Park

IMG_9394.jpg
We dayhiked the west rim starting near Lava Point and ending in the main canyon. I hadnt dont this hike in about 10 years even though it is probably my favorite Zion hike. Knowing how hot the end of the hike would be I initially wanted to start hiking at the butt crack of dawn but that was not to be and we didnt end up starting the hike until 8AM +-. The first couple of miles arent too spectacular but once the vistas arrive...WOW...
IMG_9393.jpgIMG_9405.jpg IMG_9429_30_31_tonemapped.jpgwestrim.jpg

We hike/ran for most of the hike (well between getting out the tripod, and taking pictures) and ended up doing the entire 13+ miles in about 6 hours. I thought that was a pretty good time considering time for pictures.
IMG_9435_6_7_tonemapped.jpg

By the end of the hike my, usually good knees, sure were feeling it and it was HOT! Even for me being pretty acclimated to the desert I was feeling the heat by the end!
IMG_9460.jpgIMG_9467.jpg
After hiking it I still think this is probably my favorite Zion hike (well other than some of the more semi technical ones such as the Subway and Orderville)

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Easier to check that off your bucket list if you lived in Southern Utah. :D

So beautiful. Tempted to add this to our growing itinerary for october, though I think I'll save it for a return trip and backpack it next time we're out....hmmm

great pics! the more i see of this hike...
...this might have to be moved to the top of my september list. on the verge of some free time to explore for more than an afternoon!

you guys are killing me :D
maybe we'll have to do this as a long day hike on Monday instead of Observation Point half(ish) day hike.... hmmm

you guys are killing me :D
maybe we'll have to do this as a long day hike on Monday instead of Observation Point half(ish) day hike.... hmmm

Well worth it, IMO. Pay the dough, get the early shuttle and all in all it won't take that much longer than Observation.

do we need a backcountry permit for a west rim day hike?
What's the skinny on the shuttle?

You don't need a permit to day hike it. You can hire a shuttle from some place like ZAC. I believe it's something like $39 per person. Not cheap but considering it would take you 2 hours round trip to go pick your car back up and return to Springdale, well worth it.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Ellen Zion West Rim Trail, December 2022 Trip Planning 3
chandlerwest Zion - West Rim Loop...........in July???? Hiking & Camping 7
M Zion West Rim Trail, Early April 2019 Trip Planning 40
Outdoors24 Zion West Rim Trail in winter Trip Planning 6
Jimmy Zion West Rim Day Hike Trip Planning 11
I Zion Trip Planning: Misery Canyon --> The Barracks --> West Rim Trip Planning 5
TIMP Zion West Rim Trail Trip Planning 12
Jim Zion NP West Rim Trail Report Hiking & Camping 1
powderglut Zion-West Rim Campsite Trip Planning 4
Cody Zion West Rim Backpacking 6
Nick West Rim Trail, Zion National Park Trip Planning 4
Nick The West Rim of Zion National Park Backpacking 13
pixie1339 Invite Zion West Rim Backpack May 12th - 13th Meet Up (Members Only) 10
Tyler Zion West Rim backpacking September 2009 (Lava Point to the main canyon) Backpacking 7
Nick Zion West Rim Backpacking Trip Planning 42
Yvonne Snow Hike up the West Rim, December 15, 2019 Hiking & Camping 7
Ben West Coast Trail, Pacific Rim NP, Vancouver Island Backpacking 20
Scott Chandler Snow Canyon West Rim Hiking & Camping 4
blueeyes West Rim May 18-19th 2012 Backpacking 3
Bill West Rim 5.2012 Backpacking 6
W Greetings from the West Side of the Winds (Wind River range) Noobs: Introduce yourself! 5
travel2walk Gros Ventre Wilderness: Granite Creek, West Fork Crystal Creek, Crystal Creek, & Swift Creek - June 2021 Backpacking 8
kwc Fall paddle on the West Branch of the Sacandaga River 10/23/22 On The Water 0
scatman West Millcreek Ridge - July 10, 2022 Hiking & Camping 22
Rockskipper Outlook poor for fires in the West General Discussion 8
Titans CEDAR MESA VISITS: OPEN AGAIN// (Extended bridge closure, west of Blanding, on SR-95) General Discussion 5
Bushwacker West Clear Creek Ruin Trip Planning 9
scatman Grandeur Peak, The West Slope Approach - October 31, 2020 Hiking & Camping 7
BJett Dolly Sods Wilderness - West Virginia Backpacking 17
McKee80 Roaring Plains West Wilderness Backpacking 8
Blair Ballard West Temple 3.7.20 Hiking & Camping 2
andyjaggy Bikepacking West Desert Trip Planning 16
westy Cave Canyon, Grand Canyon west Hiking & Camping 5
SteveR Blueberry Hill and West Elk Pass, Alberta Winter Sports 1
P West fork of Salt Creek? Trip Planning 4
LarryBoy A Route In Between: Mexico to Canada Through the Heart of the West Backpacking 50
regehr Deseret Peak West Twin Couloir Hiking & Camping 14
DuneElliot Backpacking Scotland's West Highland Way Trip Reports 5
mofca Hello from West Virginia! Noobs: Introduce yourself! 2
Chuck the Mauler Trip ideas near or west of Vegas Trip Planning 8
Titans Wasson Peak via Hugh Norris trail - Tucson Mountains - SAGUARO NP (WEST) Hiking & Camping 0
scatman Grandeur Peak - West Slope Route - September 3, 2018 Hiking & Camping 12
tomcat32 Backpacking the West Elk Wilderness Backpacking 9
Ross West Canyon hiking Backpacking 2
Ross West Canyon quicksand (a/one want to go lower West/Face/Labyrinth August? Trip Planning 3
blueeyes West Desert Bikepacking Everything Else 13
David Rule Greetings from the Mid-West Noobs: Introduce yourself! 22
Tim Valentine Catalina Island West Side Everything Else 1
Perry Uinta Highline trail - East to West - Mission Accomplished! Backpacking 24
George_Washington_Hayduke White Roost Canyons (east and west forks) & North Fork of Robbers Roost Canyon Canyoneering 3