Water containers

Meddins

Just would like to see what everyone is using for water ? Nalgene or smart water bottles ? Maybe a bladder ? I use both a 48 oz nalgene and a smart water bottle . I will use the smart bottle with a squeeze top while I am hiking , my nalgene is my reserve . If I am somewhere that water is scarce I add a 4L MSR dromedary bag to carry added water .

If its going on my back its nothing but two Smart Water bottles, one 0.7 liter and one 1.0 liter. Filter with a Sawyer Squeeze from a 2 liter CNOC Vecto container. The Vecto doubles for extra storage on long dry sections.

For large water loads in dry lands the 4L, 6L or 10L MSR drom bags have served well, conforming against my spine in the pack with unfaltering reliability.

For our normal 10k canyon hikes several times a week with their steep climbs two 18.6 oz Keith titanium bottles are perfect. They seal perfectly, much better than the old Klean Kanteen SS bottles and are much lighter. If need be they can be used for boiling and sterilizing water from a creek or pool.6CB6FAEB-F688-415E-805C-42F0BA92C12F.jpeg

On trips with typical water access, I carry a 32-oz gatorade bottle, a 20-oz gatorade bottle (hangs on my pack strap), and one for-real one-liter Nalgene (milky white softish kind). The current gatorade bottles I've used since about 2009. I sacrifice the extra weight for the Nalgene because it's virtually indestructible, even if body slammed onto rock, serves as a great duct tape holder, and has an unloseable lid.

On trips with typical water access, I carry a 32-oz gatorade bottle, a 20-oz gatorade bottle (hangs on my pack strap), and one for-real one-liter Nalgene (milky white softish kind). The current gatorade bottles I've used since about 2009. I sacrifice the extra weight for the Nalgene because it's virtually indestructible, even if body slammed onto rock, serves as a great duct tape holder, and has an unloseable lid.
Ya the milky whitish ones are the best I think . I have had some for almost 20 yrs now with no problems . I was a wild land firefighter for 13yrs and that’s all I carried and never had any issues with nalgenes

I've had a couple Nalgene Canteens fail in the field, never again, ugh. This was a bummer since they're inexpensive, very light, and don't taste like anything.

I long prefered a dromedary but had one of those fail recently too, and also they make the water taste like it came out of a garden hose.

My last few trips that had extended dry segments I've used one of these: https://www.rei.com/product/126425/hydrapak-expedition-collapsible-water-container-8-liters
pricey, but has been holding up well. It's also the right size: large enough to support 2 dry camps, but anything larger than this is more water weight than I want to carry.

Platypus collapseable ..... None lighter

Platypus collapseable ..... None lighter
I have ran the platypus collapsables when I needed more storage , never had any fails but to me just seem they wouldn’t take much abuse , So I went to the MSR . I cant use gear I don’t have confidence in .

For large water loads in dry lands the 4L, 6L or 10L MSR drom bags have served well, conforming against my spine in the pack with unfaltering reliability.

For our normal 10k canyon hikes several times a week with their steep climbs two 18.6 oz Keith titanium bottles are perfect. They seal perfectly, much better than the old Klean Kanteen SS bottles and are much lighter. If need be they can be used for boiling and sterilizing water from a creek or pool.View attachment 86740
Is that a MSR titanium mug ?

After trying tons of options over the years I’ve pretty much settled on a 4l Dromlite and an HDPE nalgene (this is for 99% canyon country trips and a steripen for treatment). I’ve used lighter options but this is best mix of versatility/durability/weight.

I used the platypus bladders for years but they always eventually get holes along the edges. I do still use their hose and bite valve though.

I almost always hike with water everywhere and don't take long trips. I bring 1 Smart bottle 1L, longer trips or dry areas, I bring the CNOC water bag.
I get irrationally irritated trying to scoop water into my SMART water bottle, so sometimes I just bring the CNOC because I like its scooping powers! Haha

Usually a Platypus bladder. I replace the one I use for backpacking every couple years, never had a failure but as has been mentioned they don't feel super tough. I have a 3L Platypus bladder in a day pack that I have had for 4 years and it's still going strong, gets more use than any other bladder I've had, so I do trust them pretty well.

If I'm going to be spending lots of time at camp, bottles are nice. Bladders are not fun to drink from once you're at camp. Used to always use Nalgenes. I do now have a Heavy Cover titanium canteen (they're styled after the USGI canteens) and it's super nice. (They are manufactured by Keith titanium, I see one of that company's house branded bottles has made it into the thread already) Crazy expensive, but I like it. Wouldn't tell anybody they should buy it unless they really want to get rid of some money. You can get them with a cup that nests with the bottle. Don't use the TI bottle/cup often, but for certain situations they work nice. Nesting the cup with the canteen is nice when I'm trying to save space inside my pack.

I pack a 1L smart water bottle that I drink out of most of the time, and a 1L collapsible platypus if I need extra water.
I buy a new bottle of smart water for each trip...it’s part of my routine that makes me get excited every time I buy it!

I have ran the platypus collapsables when I needed more storage , never had any fails but to me just seem they wouldn’t take much abuse , So I went to the MSR . I cant use gear I don’t have confidence in .
I'm on the same ones I bought about 10 years ago...

I'm the oddball, I guess. On my shorter day hikes up to 15 miles, I only bring my Hydroflask metal bottles. With ice in it, my drinks keep cool for a long time. On longer day hikes up to 29 miles, I carry several 1L Nalgene Bottles. If there is water available on my hike, I just bring one bottle and filter the rest along the way.
For backpacking trips, it just Nalgene Bottles or two empty Gatorade bottles

+1 on 2 Gatorade 32 oz bottles. Light and easy to fill. I have to take off my pack to drink, but it's no big deal. If water sources are clear I use Aquamira. Otherwise I have to add a pound for the pump or switch to Sawyer-compatible bottle.

Is that a MSR titanium mug ?

Yes that is the old MSR titan cup. We mix drinks on the trails and like to keep the water bottles for pure, filtered water. Girlfriend has a powdered “green drink” she makes me drink and I make her put chocolate and a few spices to make it palatable. Ha ha.

I’ve used the Platy bags and have found them to be way too leaky and others I know do too. They are super light but have never lasted and all plastics leech chemicals even the drom bags so the inert, non reactive ti takes care of that. I have used all manner of plastic bottles in the past and know they are very popular for price and weight.

two powerade bottles, have never had a problem.