Van Cott Ridge and Black Mountain Ridge Loop - May 1, 2024

scatman

I had a day I needed to burn before May 8th at work so I took Wednesday off and headed to the hills. I've been cycling most of the spring with only one hike up the Avenues Twin peaks to my credit. So my hiking legs probably aren't what they should be. I decided to head up Mount Van Cott from my home, summit Van Cott then head east across what I call the Van Cott Ridge. Once at the end of the ridge, I'd head north to gain the Black Mountain Ridge, then take the trail back down the north ridge of City Creek home, summitting the Avenues Twin Peaks for good measure. Once I hit the top of Black Mountain Ridge, I decided to head to the highpoint of the ridge so that I could get a good shot of Grandview Peak before turning around and heading home. It was roughly a 13 mile day, and it took me 10 hours and 8 minutes to complete it. This include a lot of picture taking and a long lunch on the high point of Black Mountain Ridge.

I found the hike to be rather chilly. It was supposed to get up to 54 degrees in the valley, so probably in the 40's up on the ridge. While the sun was out most of the day, once on the ridges the wind was whipping pretty good. I did find as long as I was headed up I was okay, but when I stopped to break, or eat my lunch, it got chilly. Also I was chilled on my way down.

When all was said and done, I was pretty pooped after this one.

01.jpg
Excitement is just pumping through my veins before taking off

02.jpg
I left at the same time that Sheila took off, cycling to work

03.jpg
A black cricket heading up the hill on my way to 11th Avenue

04.jpg
05.jpg
Some deer at the fire station on 11th Ave.

06.jpg
Evening-primrose on my way to Dry Canyon

07.jpg
Sunrise on the south summit of the Avenues Twin Peaks

08.jpg
Arriving at the mouth of Dry Canyon

09.jpg
Long leaf phlox

10.jpg
Groundsel

11.jpg
12.jpg
Balsamroot on the slope of Mount Van Cott

13.jpg
Sun hitting the ridge on the northwest side of Dry Canyon

14.jpg
Beginning the climb up Van Cott. This used to be an old Jeep road.

15.jpg
The Avenues Twin Peaks in the distance, where I will be later in the afternoon hopefully

16.jpg
A look up the North Fork of Dry Canyon. I should be making my way across the ridge at the head of the fork later in the day.

17.jpg
Vetch

18.jpg
Pungent desert parsley

19.jpg
I headed up the western ridge of Van Cott this time instead of just following the Old Jeep road. University of Utah Hospital and
Huntsman Cancer Center below.

20.jpg
Utah Service Berry

21.jpg
A look back at downtown Salt Lake City

22.jpg
First look at Black Mountain

23.jpg
Back on the old Jeep road near the summit of Van Cott. The Dude Benchmark in the distance

24.jpg
Coming off the summit of Van Cott and hooking up with the trail that will take me across the Van Cott Ridge with Black Mountain
dead ahead.

25.jpg
Cycling caps don't provide much eye shade when heading directly into the sun. :)

26.jpg
Forget-me-nots

27.jpg
Looking back at the summit of Van Cott

28.jpg
29.jpg
Glacier lilies

30.jpg
View to the south at Mount Wire, with Red Butte Reservoir below

31.jpg
Some bumps to go over on the Van Cott Ridgeline. View is looking northeast.

32.jpg
Black Mountain above

At this point I started to hear turkeys gobble coming from the slope across the South Fork of Dry Canyon. I'd stop and look over to see if I could see any movement in the direction of the sounds, but they wouldn't come out of the scrub oak. After a bit, I thought they may be plotting against me. :) Gobblers on my tail @Rockskipper! They are a clever birds indeed. Hokies on my tail is almost as bad as hellhounds on my tail! :D

33.jpg
Another look back to the southwest and the Van Cott Ridgeline

34.jpg
Larkspur on the ridge

35.jpg
One more major hump to go

36.jpg
More lilies

37.jpg
1st break. Time to get some calories in me before I begin heading up Black Mountain

38.jpg
Some cacti

39.jpg
Yellow Bells

40.jpg
Heading towards the saddle above the South Fork of Dry Canyon

41.jpg
First snow encounter

42.jpg
Spring beauties

43.jpg
At the end of the ridge to social trail becomes more of an elk trail

44.jpg
Hard to stay on at times

At this point I was hoping that @regehr had blazed a top notch trail up to the summit of the Black Mountain Ridge, but if he had, I couldn't find it. :D

45.jpg
Fromm the saddle above the South Fork of Dry Canyon, looking back at the Van Cott Ridge

46.jpg
Utah violet

47.jpg
Another shot of the Van Cott Ridge and looking down the South Fork of Dry Canyon

48.jpg
Heading up Black Mountain in earnest now. I'm heading towards that lone mountain mahogany on the hill

49.jpg
Common storksbill and a Scatman shadow

50.jpg
I stopped for a second break under that lone mountain mahogany in order to eat a Kind Bar and take this shot of one of my
cameras I took on the trip. It's battery did not like the cold, and would eventually run out of juice.

51.jpg
Spring Parsley

52.jpg
Getting some better views of the Wasatch Mountains the higher I get

53.jpg
Hey, only 1100 feet in just over seven tenths of a mile. Looking up at the top of the Black Mountain Ridge where I am heading

54.jpg
Patches of snow here and there on the bushwhack

55.jpg
Looking up towards the head of Red Butte Canyon

56.jpg
Nor sure what this is. Does anyone know?

57.jpg
Just follow the elk droppings is my motto. :)

58.jpg
More yellow bells on the south slope of Black Mountain

59.jpg
My left knee was not liking this. In training for a @Bob tip, straight up is the only alternative. :D

60.jpg
Looking back down on the route I have come. The Van Cott Ridge is the second ridge in the image

61.jpg
Lord have mercy! Getting close at least.

62.jpg
Not sure what is going on here?

63.jpg
Looking east with the Uintas in the far diatance

64.jpg
The back end of a small horned toad. It was kind of shy. :)

65.jpg
On top of the Black Mountain Ridge, looking west.

So at this point I decided that I wanted to reach the high point of the ridge. I had forgotten that the butt pucker scramble section was between me and the high point, so I had some scrambling and downclimbing to do, which I'm sure would have been comical to watch with my hiking poles in one hand, and having to be careful of my camera attached to the shoulder strap of my pack. This raised the butt pucker facto for me at least.

66.jpg
Heading into the scramble part

67.jpg
A look up the North Fork Drainage in City Creek Canyon. Snow covered Francis Peak, above Farmington, is in the far distance.

68.jpg
A little scrambling left to do to reach the high point

69.jpg
This is the view that makes the high point worth it. - Grandview Peak.

Now some summit shots
70.jpg
Lookout Peak to the east

71.jpg
The Wasatch Mountains to the south

72.jpg
View down City Creek Canyon

73.jpg
On the high point

74.jpg
Lunch time

I had hauled my long lens up with me, so after lunch I took it out and took some shots with it

75.jpg
Grandview Peak and Cottonwood Gulch

76.jpg
Lookout Peak

77.jpg
Francis Peak to the north

78.jpg
The under construction water treatment plant in City Creek Canyon that will keep me from reaching my 40th year in a row of cycling
to the top of City Creek this summer. :mad:

79.jpg
The Dude Benchmark to the northwest, with Frary Peak beyond, across the Great Salt Lake

80.jpg
Gobblers Knob and Mount Raymond to the south

81.jpg
Broads Fork Twin Peaks to the South. If you look closely, you can also see Grandeur Peak below the twins, and below Grandeur is
Perkins Peak of Parleys Ridge fame.

82.jpg
Lone Peak to the south, with Mount Olympus below Lone.

83.jpg
To the west and Stansbury Island across the Great Salt Lake, with the Lakeside Mountains beyond.

84.jpg
The big gun.

85.jpg
Heading for home. The scramble portion is easier in this direction because you are climbing up
instead of downclimbing

86.jpg
This part ahead is much easier to climb up that to come down

87.jpg
A nice stand of aspen, yet to get their leaves, on the north slope of the ridge

88.jpg
Antelope Island off in the distance

89.jpg
The road home along the south ridge of City Creek Canyon for the most part with the Avenues Twin Peaks at the end of another
old Jeep road

90.jpg
One last look up City Creek Canyon towards Burro Peak and Grandview Peak

91.jpg
Making some headway coming down the ridge

92.jpg
Common storksbill

93.jpg
Running into my first paintbrush

94.jpg
A look back up at the western edge of the Black Mountain Ridge

95.jpg
Old Jeep road

96.jpg
Another shot looking back at Black Mountain

97.jpg
Arriving at the Avenues Twin Peaks

98.jpg
North Peak with a cyclist atop

99.jpg
More paintbrush

100.jpg
South Twin dead ahead

101.jpg
The couple headed up the South Twin in the previous image were kind enough to take my picture at the summit, with Burro Peak,
Grandview Peak and Black Mountain in the background. Tad bit windy I'd say. :cold:

102.jpg
The Van Cott Ridge from a different angle

103.jpg
More paintbrush coming off the South Twin

104.jpg
Golden currant

105.jpg
A look back at the South Twin

106.jpg
107.jpg
When I reached home, look who was just peddling up. Great timing! :D Home sweet home.

Last edited:
nice!
the last time I did this loop I think it had gotten longer, funny how that works!

nice!
the last time I did this loop I think it had gotten longer, funny how that works!

Isn't that the truth. I attribute it to me getting older. :moses: I was having trouble bending my knees/legs far enough on the scramble section.

You jumped straight into the all day hikes! I hope the recovery time was good as well?
I have some Saturday mornings available this month, if inclined... almost for sure I am avail the 18th and 25th, and maybe the 11th. One weekend, I am trying to either get to the desert without a vehicle :thumbsup:, or spend a night in Maybird below the Pfiefferhorn as is a May tradition. Of course, you are invited or welcome should I get Maybird to happen.

You jumped straight into the all day hikes! I hope the recovery time was good as well?
I have some Saturday mornings available this month, if inclined... almost for sure I am avail the 18th and 25th, and maybe the 11th. One weekend, I am trying to either get to the desert without a vehicle :thumbsup:, or spend a night in Maybird below the Pfiefferhorn as is a May tradition. Of course, you are invited or welcome should I get Maybird to happen.

I'm afraid I'm still on recovery time. :moses:

I have my century ride on the 11th, so that Saturday is out. Not sure Sheila wants tp peddle the tandem by herself. :D I was going to give blood on the 18th, but I can move that to the 25th if you want to do something on the 18th. What did you have in mind?

Last edited: