Valley of Fire - March 2011

HomerJ

Last March some friends and I decided we'd go support the Aggies at the WAC tournament in Vegas. I was really excited as I had never been to Vegas before. Ok, that's not entirely true... I did spent a few hours in Vegas as a 8th grader where I got kicked out of Circus Circus for playing the nickel slots and another time we stopped for a break on a drive from L.A. to Cache Valley. This was going to be the first time that I had spent any amount of time in Vegas as an adult.

Vegas was cool and all for someone seeing it for the first time. We hit up the usual touristy sites and played the craps tables some (I even won about $50! Whoo-hoo! LOL!). We soon got tired of all the people and decided to get out and see some of the surrounding country.

One day we drove out to Hoover Dam and checked it out. I was more impressed with the new bridge they had just built over the canyon than I was with the dam! Before the highway use to cross on top of the dam and caused major traffic jams.

On another day we drove out to the Valley of Fire, which is about 1 hour north of Vegas. The first place we hit up is called Mouse's Tank. It's a shot easy hike with tons of Indian Petroglyphs!

Mouse's Tank - Petroglyphs
IMG_7942_tonemapped.jpg

Mouse's Tank - Petroglyphs
IMG_7947.jpg

At the end of the trail we decided to scramble up a ridge and loop back to the car. Here are a few pics I took along the way.
IMG_7955_tonemapped.jpg

IMG_7962_tonemapped.jpg

IMG_7966_tonemapped.jpg

Next we headed to a placed called Silica Dome. It is really neat because you have red and white sand stone bordering each other!
IMG_7969_tonemapped.jpg

IMG_7970.jpg

IMG_7971.jpg

We then drove onto an area called the White Domes. The road heads north and goes through some neat washes and then circles around and heads south just before the end. We were wishing we had more time to hike this area, but had a basketball game to be back for. It would have been fun to have made a nice loop around to the washes on the road to White Domes. This was our favorite area of the park! There's even a small slot!

Small slot
IMG_7973.jpg

IMG_7977.jpg

IMG_7979_tonemapped2.jpg

It was a fun trip!!! The Aggies won and I got to do some hiking in 70 degree weather in March!!!! :twothumbs: It's hard to beat a trip like that!

Slide for featured image:
slide.jpg

so when exactly you're there?
I'll be there between the 10th and 12th, hopefully the weather is coping a little bit. :)

We will be in Zion from March 10-11 and then heading to Vegas for the rest of the week. We probably won't be getting to VoF until after the 13th, though we haven't nailed down exact plans yet.

I'll be in Vegas that weekend and plan on renting a car and spending a most of a day until after susnet at VOF. Either the 10th or the 11th. I'll keep my eyes open for you Yvonne!

I'll leaving early on the 10th, but spent the night in Henderson nearby.
Not sure what kind of rental car I'll get, but I let you know as soon as possbible.
Looks like a little meet up in VoF ;)

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
B March at Valley of Fire other recommendations in the area Trip Planning 7
pixie1339 Southern Nevada, March 2013, Part One: Valley Of Fire Hiking & Camping 16
AustinCronnelly Valley of Fire March '12 Hiking & Camping 8
Miya Snowy Miracle on The Strip, Oh Yeah and Valley of Fire Everything Else 12
stevecochranephotography Valley of Fire State Park, Nevada Hiking & Camping 0
WasatchWill A night at Nevada's Valley of Fire State Park Hiking & Camping 7
Seldom Seen Anderson Valley of Fire Hiking & Camping 0
Nick Valley of Fire & North Shore Road Trip Planning 7
ROKTAXI Valley Of Fire 8/16/2012 Off Road 3
N Valley of Fire NV Night Hikes... Trip Planning 7
Yvonne Valley of Fire, Spring Break 2012 Hiking & Camping 9
IntrepidXJ Valley of Fire Hiking & Camping 17
Yvonne Valley of Fire - what else? Trip Planning 21
Seldom Seen Anderson Valley of Fire Hiking & Camping 17
regehr kayaking death valley On The Water 1
balzaccom Death Valley in January Hiking & Camping 3
BobFink Mirror Plateau via Pelican Valley and Pelican Creek, July / August 2023 Backpacking 12
Ugly Headless Valley- Film about traveling the Nahanni River General Discussion 5
TractorDoc Cuyahoga Valley National Park (again!) 06/04/2023 Hiking & Camping 6
TractorDoc Cuyahoga Valley National Park 05/28/2023 Hiking & Camping 20
wsp_scott Yosemite Valley 2022 Backpacking 12
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Wrangler Lake, Bog Creek, Joseph's Coat Springs, Broad Creek, Wapiti Lake, Hot Springs Basin, and Pelican Valley. The Second Half. Backpacking 15
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Wrangler Lake, Bog Creek, Joseph's Coat Springs, Broad Creek, Wapiti Lake, Hot Springs Basin, and Pelican Valley. Part One of Two. Backpacking 61
D Onion Valley to Whitney Backpacking 7
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Hayden Valley, Trout Creek, Beach Lake, and Arnica Creek Meadows. September 11, 2022. Hiking & Camping 7
RyanP Goblin Valley SP Expansion General Discussion 3
K Hello from the Salt Lake Valley Noobs: Introduce yourself! 2
balzaccom Death Valley again Hiking & Camping 0
T Death valley Trip Planning 3
WasatchWill WRHR: Day 3 - 'Desolation Valley' to Halls Lake Backpacking 15
WasatchWill WRHR: Day 2 - Cirque of the Towers to 'Desolation Valley' Backpacking 28
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Hayden Valley in a Day -- September 17 2021 Hiking & Camping 27
J Death Valley Natl. Pk. Upper Monarch Canyon plus. Dec 1, 2021 Hiking & Camping 1
J Death Valley Natl. Pk. A Black Mtns and Canyons Traverse Nov 30, 2021 Hiking & Camping 2
J Death Valley Natl. Pk. 6 Days hiking. Nov 14-19, 2021 Hiking & Camping 1
scatman Hayden Valley Loop - Yellowstone National Park - September 17, 2021 Hiking & Camping 34
travel2walk Lamar River, Pelican Valley, & Speciman Ridge loop - Yellowstone, Jun 29 to Jul 3, 2021 Backpacking 15
J Death Valley National Park and Area Mountain Rambles Dec. 16-17, 2020 Hiking & Camping 0
J Death Valley Natl. Pk: Funeral Pk, Slit Canyon, and Big Dune. Dec 21-22, 2020 Hiking & Camping 1
J Death Valley NP Black Mountains and beyond Hiking Dec 19-20, 2020 Hiking & Camping 1
Burrito Death Valley van trip turns into something pretty special General Discussion 7
beaver-one Yellowstone advice: Lamar River - Pelican Valley - Mirror Plateau loop this summer Trip Planning 6
TheMountainRabbit Lamar River, Mirror Plateau, and Pelican Valley (Yellowstone NP) - mid-September 2020 Backpacking 28
balzaccom Death Valley again Hiking & Camping 4
Arizona Jones Willow Valley Loop Hike, Arizona Canyoneering 8
Miya Death Valley Birthday - Part 2 (3.7.20-03.8.20) Backpacking 15
A Info on Tehipite Valley Trip Planning 1
Miya Death Valley Birthday - Part 1 (3.5.20-3.6.20) Hiking & Camping 28
Kullaberg63 Pack Creek to Castle Valley - below the rim. Backpacking 0
westy Meadow Valley Mountains Backpacking 7