Valley of Fire March '12

AustinCronnelly

Butte Rat
Every year my family goes down to Vegas to get their redneck on for Nascar. Occasionally, I'll tag along because I can have a place to stay on the strip, do the Vegas thing and mainly get out and explore.

After the first night out on the town, I was ready to get out and do some hiking. My main reason for flying down and renting a car was to check out Valley of Fire. I had been to VOF twice before, but recently I had downloaded Isa Synnatschke's eBook, if you haven't checked it out yet, I'm sure it will have you itching to go to VOF right away.

Saturday afternoon I drove the 50ish miles from Vegas with the plans of shooting the Fire Wave at sunset. It's a short walk from the road to a pretty cool little area. There were 5 of us shooting the FW at sunset, fortunately everyone was very cordial and sharing the spots. Unfortunately, this is a relatively small area and with it's increasing popularity, I can see it quickly becoming a Mesa Arch situation. This time of year the bowl of the wave is in the shadows and will remain in shadows until about fall.

FireWave.jpg

Selfie after the sun set and the light evens out.
ValleyofFireFireWaveUSUS.jpg

The next morning my Mom and my sister joined my for the day. The first stop on my list was Windstone Arch. I didn't think it would be very difficult to find but I was wrong. Even with directions and a picture I had a tough time finding it. Just before I finished downloading a GPS app to my phone, my sister found it. Thanks Sheanna! This is a very small little cave with not much room for maneuvering or varying compositions.

WindstoneArchsRGB.jpg

After Windstone Arch, we drove out to the White Domes trail. We had all hiked the full loop a few years earlier, so this time we hiked the loop in reverse just to the slot and back. The slot is very short, 30 yards maybe, but scenic and very easily accessible.
ValleyofFireSlot.jpg

End of the Slot
slotend.jpg

It's wasn't extremely hot, so we went to check out one more area, called Crazy Hill.
VOFCrazyHill.jpg

If it ever rains this is where I would be, the colors would be great! Unfortunately, I had blue sky with light cloud cover.
CrazyHillSelfie.jpg

This is the type of place where I would just love to continue on exploring through the washes and canyons if I had the time. We saw hundreds of arches and cool features. Valley of Fire receives plenty of visitors but a fraction roam 50 ft from the car. I'm sure there is plenty left to be found.

Featured image for slideshow:
slide.jpg

Sweet! I didn't see any of those areas when I went last year! :twothumbs: We didn't have much time and didn't really know where to go so we just picked a couple places.

Cool...I just visited all those same places a few days ago!

a lot looks really familiar to me and I also enjoyed my visit a few days ago.
There is so much to discover and I didn't follow the usual mainstream stuff and explored the area by myself

Awesome! I'm looking forward to your pictures. I feel like I only scratched the surface.

Bumping this because it's awesome and I'm going here in a couple weeks. And tips on what to do in VoF are much appreciated. :)

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
B March at Valley of Fire other recommendations in the area Trip Planning 7
pixie1339 Southern Nevada, March 2013, Part One: Valley Of Fire Hiking & Camping 16
HomerJ Valley of Fire - March 2011 Hiking & Camping 6
Miya Snowy Miracle on The Strip, Oh Yeah and Valley of Fire Everything Else 12
stevecochranephotography Valley of Fire State Park, Nevada Hiking & Camping 0
WasatchWill A night at Nevada's Valley of Fire State Park Hiking & Camping 7
Seldom Seen Anderson Valley of Fire Hiking & Camping 0
Nick Valley of Fire & North Shore Road Trip Planning 7
ROKTAXI Valley Of Fire 8/16/2012 Off Road 3
N Valley of Fire NV Night Hikes... Trip Planning 7
Yvonne Valley of Fire, Spring Break 2012 Hiking & Camping 9
IntrepidXJ Valley of Fire Hiking & Camping 17
Yvonne Valley of Fire - what else? Trip Planning 21
Seldom Seen Anderson Valley of Fire Hiking & Camping 17
regehr kayaking death valley On The Water 1
balzaccom Death Valley in January Hiking & Camping 3
BobFink Mirror Plateau via Pelican Valley and Pelican Creek, July / August 2023 Backpacking 12
Ugly Headless Valley- Film about traveling the Nahanni River General Discussion 5
TractorDoc Cuyahoga Valley National Park (again!) 06/04/2023 Hiking & Camping 6
TractorDoc Cuyahoga Valley National Park 05/28/2023 Hiking & Camping 20
wsp_scott Yosemite Valley 2022 Backpacking 12
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Wrangler Lake, Bog Creek, Joseph's Coat Springs, Broad Creek, Wapiti Lake, Hot Springs Basin, and Pelican Valley. The Second Half. Backpacking 15
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Wrangler Lake, Bog Creek, Joseph's Coat Springs, Broad Creek, Wapiti Lake, Hot Springs Basin, and Pelican Valley. Part One of Two. Backpacking 61
D Onion Valley to Whitney Backpacking 7
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Hayden Valley, Trout Creek, Beach Lake, and Arnica Creek Meadows. September 11, 2022. Hiking & Camping 7
RyanP Goblin Valley SP Expansion General Discussion 3
K Hello from the Salt Lake Valley Noobs: Introduce yourself! 2
balzaccom Death Valley again Hiking & Camping 0
T Death valley Trip Planning 3
WasatchWill WRHR: Day 3 - 'Desolation Valley' to Halls Lake Backpacking 15
WasatchWill WRHR: Day 2 - Cirque of the Towers to 'Desolation Valley' Backpacking 28
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Hayden Valley in a Day -- September 17 2021 Hiking & Camping 27
J Death Valley Natl. Pk. Upper Monarch Canyon plus. Dec 1, 2021 Hiking & Camping 1
J Death Valley Natl. Pk. A Black Mtns and Canyons Traverse Nov 30, 2021 Hiking & Camping 2
J Death Valley Natl. Pk. 6 Days hiking. Nov 14-19, 2021 Hiking & Camping 1
scatman Hayden Valley Loop - Yellowstone National Park - September 17, 2021 Hiking & Camping 34
travel2walk Lamar River, Pelican Valley, & Speciman Ridge loop - Yellowstone, Jun 29 to Jul 3, 2021 Backpacking 15
J Death Valley National Park and Area Mountain Rambles Dec. 16-17, 2020 Hiking & Camping 0
J Death Valley Natl. Pk: Funeral Pk, Slit Canyon, and Big Dune. Dec 21-22, 2020 Hiking & Camping 1
J Death Valley NP Black Mountains and beyond Hiking Dec 19-20, 2020 Hiking & Camping 1
Burrito Death Valley van trip turns into something pretty special General Discussion 7
beaver-one Yellowstone advice: Lamar River - Pelican Valley - Mirror Plateau loop this summer Trip Planning 6
TheMountainRabbit Lamar River, Mirror Plateau, and Pelican Valley (Yellowstone NP) - mid-September 2020 Backpacking 28
balzaccom Death Valley again Hiking & Camping 4
Arizona Jones Willow Valley Loop Hike, Arizona Canyoneering 8
Miya Death Valley Birthday - Part 2 (3.7.20-03.8.20) Backpacking 15
A Info on Tehipite Valley Trip Planning 1
Miya Death Valley Birthday - Part 1 (3.5.20-3.6.20) Hiking & Camping 28
Kullaberg63 Pack Creek to Castle Valley - below the rim. Backpacking 0
westy Meadow Valley Mountains Backpacking 7