Valley Of Fire 8/16/2012

ROKTAXI

My first post here.

This was actually an unplanned side trip on my to CA. For over 25 years I've pasted by the I-15 "Valley Of Fire" off-ramp. We left early from the motel in Mesquite so we had some extra time to check it out. The road there is kinda interesting. Mini roller coaster. Our VW Jetta (TDI) was a blast to drive on this road! We got to the State Park entrance station before it opened, so we deposited our $10 entrance fee in the slot and headed in.

Started out kinda benign but still interesting.

The early morning sun and cloud cover wasn't the greatest for certain pictures but still not bad.

Not long down the road,we were into some pretty amazing formations.

This guy was unconcerned we were in his domain.

Kinda got that scary Halloween look.

And speaking of Halloween......

Thought this was an interesting "door handle" arch

Some interesting rock art

We only stayed for only about an hour but managed to get a feel for a future visit, which was my intent in the first place. Definitely worth more time to see all that's there. I did talk to a young Park Ranger who volunteered information to locations of more rock art that are off the beaten path. Score!

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

nonameiwant

Wow, this looks great. I frequent vegas for concerts with friends and often wonder what's off this exit. Now I just need to round of my other friends to get them to explore one weekend.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Yvonne Valley of Fire, Spring Break 2012 Hiking & Camping 9
Miya Snowy Miracle on The Strip, Oh Yeah and Valley of Fire Everything Else 12
stevecochranephotography Valley of Fire State Park, Nevada Hiking & Camping 0
WasatchWill A night at Nevada's Valley of Fire State Park Hiking & Camping 7
Seldom Seen Anderson Valley of Fire Hiking & Camping 0
pixie1339 Southern Nevada, March 2013, Part One: Valley Of Fire Hiking & Camping 16
Nick Valley of Fire & North Shore Road Trip Planning 7
N Valley of Fire NV Night Hikes... Trip Planning 7
IntrepidXJ Valley of Fire Hiking & Camping 17
AustinCronnelly Valley of Fire March '12 Hiking & Camping 8
HomerJ Valley of Fire - March 2011 Hiking & Camping 6
Yvonne Valley of Fire - what else? Trip Planning 21
Seldom Seen Anderson Valley of Fire Hiking & Camping 17
travel2walk Lamar River, Pelican Valley, & Speciman Ridge loop - Yellowstone, Jun 29 to Jul 3, 2021 Backpacking 15
J Death Valley National Park and Area Mountain Rambles Dec. 16-17, 2020 Hiking & Camping 0
J Death Valley Natl. Pk: Funeral Pk, Slit Canyon, and Big Dune. Dec 21-22, 2020 Hiking & Camping 1
J Death Valley NP Black Mountains and beyond Hiking Dec 19-20, 2020 Hiking & Camping 1
Burrito Death Valley van trip turns into something pretty special General Discussion 7
beaver-one Yellowstone advice: Lamar River - Pelican Valley - Mirror Plateau loop this summer Trip Planning 6
TheMountainRabbit Lamar River, Mirror Plateau, and Pelican Valley (Yellowstone NP) - mid-September 2020 Backpacking 28
balzaccom Death Valley again Hiking & Camping 4
Arizona Jones Willow Valley Loop Hike, Arizona Canyoneering 8
Miya Death Valley Birthday - Part 2 (3.7.20-03.8.20) Backpacking 15
A Info on Tehipite Valley Trip Planning 1
Miya Death Valley Birthday - Part 1 (3.5.20-3.6.20) Hiking & Camping 28
Kullaberg63 Pack Creek to Castle Valley - below the rim. Backpacking 0
westy Meadow Valley Mountains Backpacking 7
westy Meadow Valley Mountains Hiking & Camping 2
Scott Chandler Death Valley Trip Planning 7
J Death Valley National Park Keene Canyon-Wonder Mine Loop. Dec. 3, 2019 Hiking & Camping 1
J Death Valley Natl Pk Ibex Peak, Jubliee Mtn, Virgin Springs summits Dec. 2, 2019 Hiking & Camping 0
J Death Valley NP: Corkscrew and Artist Palette Peaks, scramble dayhikes Nov 2019 Hiking & Camping 1
J Death Valley NP. Marble-Cottonwood (side slot) lollipop loop Nov 17-19,2019 Backpacking 10
S Backcountry camping tips for Wind Rivers - upper Green River valley via canoe Trip Planning 5
fossana Browns Point > Summit > Whipple loop (Pine Valley Mountains Wilderness, UT) Hiking & Camping 1
swmalone Questions about Lamar Valley Hikes Trip Planning 9
Yvonne Kolob Terrace exploration: from Hop Valley to North Gate Peaks, May 2019 Hiking & Camping 7
C Skutumpah road closed at Bull Valley Gorge General Discussion 9
Stephanie B Grotto, Hidden Valley, and Moab Mastadon Hiking & Camping 2
Mikjik86 Video Hiking/Camping San Rafael Swell/Goblin Valley/Horseshoe Canyon - Feb 2019 Hiking & Camping 2
fossana Death Valley road closures post flooding Trip Planning 3
Stephanie B Ruin in Fable Valley? Trip Planning 5
balzaccom Rainy days in Death Valley Hiking & Camping 3
Mikjik86 Good car camping? Stuff to do near Goblin Valley area Feb 24,25,26? Trip Planning 15
George_Washington_Hayduke Clearwater - Bowdie - Fable Valley - Gypsum - Easter Pasture -8 Day Backpack/Packraft Loop Backpacking 36
dug Dark Cyn/Fable Valley approach roads Trip Planning 5
J Sierras to Bristlecones to Death Valley NP: Peaks, Trails, Dunes and Canyons Oct 26 to Nov 10, 2018 Hiking & Camping 0
Rockskipper What are the odds? Bear bites can of bear spray in Spray Valley General Discussion 3
balzaccom Yosemite Valley Evacuation Trip Planning 3
flynne New From the Salt Lake Valley Noobs: Introduce yourself! 6