Valley Of Fire 8/16/2012

ROKTAXI

My first post here.

This was actually an unplanned side trip on my to CA. For over 25 years I've pasted by the I-15 "Valley Of Fire" off-ramp. We left early from the motel in Mesquite so we had some extra time to check it out. The road there is kinda interesting. Mini roller coaster. Our VW Jetta (TDI) was a blast to drive on this road! We got to the State Park entrance station before it opened, so we deposited our $10 entrance fee in the slot and headed in.

IMG_2709.JPG

Started out kinda benign but still interesting.

IMG_2745.JPG
The early morning sun and cloud cover wasn't the greatest for certain pictures but still not bad.

IMG_2735.JPG

Not long down the road,we were into some pretty amazing formations.
IMG_2723.JPG

This guy was unconcerned we were in his domain.

IMG_2727.JPG

Kinda got that scary Halloween look.

IMG_2756.JPG

And speaking of Halloween......

IMG_2760.JPG

Thought this was an interesting "door handle" arch

IMG_2765.JPG

Some interesting rock art

IMG_2769.JPG

We only stayed for only about an hour but managed to get a feel for a future visit, which was my intent in the first place. Definitely worth more time to see all that's there. I did talk to a young Park Ranger who volunteered information to locations of more rock art that are off the beaten path. Score!

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Wow, this looks great. I frequent vegas for concerts with friends and often wonder what's off this exit. Now I just need to round of my other friends to get them to explore one weekend.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Yvonne Valley of Fire, Spring Break 2012 Hiking & Camping 9
B March at Valley of Fire other recommendations in the area Trip Planning 7
Miya Snowy Miracle on The Strip, Oh Yeah and Valley of Fire Everything Else 12
stevecochranephotography Valley of Fire State Park, Nevada Hiking & Camping 0
WasatchWill A night at Nevada's Valley of Fire State Park Hiking & Camping 7
Seldom Seen Anderson Valley of Fire Hiking & Camping 0
pixie1339 Southern Nevada, March 2013, Part One: Valley Of Fire Hiking & Camping 16
Nick Valley of Fire & North Shore Road Trip Planning 7
N Valley of Fire NV Night Hikes... Trip Planning 7
IntrepidXJ Valley of Fire Hiking & Camping 17
AustinCronnelly Valley of Fire March '12 Hiking & Camping 8
HomerJ Valley of Fire - March 2011 Hiking & Camping 6
Yvonne Valley of Fire - what else? Trip Planning 21
Seldom Seen Anderson Valley of Fire Hiking & Camping 17
regehr kayaking death valley On The Water 1
balzaccom Death Valley in January Hiking & Camping 3
BobFink Mirror Plateau via Pelican Valley and Pelican Creek, July / August 2023 Backpacking 12
Ugly Headless Valley- Film about traveling the Nahanni River General Discussion 5
TractorDoc Cuyahoga Valley National Park (again!) 06/04/2023 Hiking & Camping 6
TractorDoc Cuyahoga Valley National Park 05/28/2023 Hiking & Camping 20
wsp_scott Yosemite Valley 2022 Backpacking 12
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Wrangler Lake, Bog Creek, Joseph's Coat Springs, Broad Creek, Wapiti Lake, Hot Springs Basin, and Pelican Valley. The Second Half. Backpacking 15
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Wrangler Lake, Bog Creek, Joseph's Coat Springs, Broad Creek, Wapiti Lake, Hot Springs Basin, and Pelican Valley. Part One of Two. Backpacking 61
D Onion Valley to Whitney Backpacking 7
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Hayden Valley, Trout Creek, Beach Lake, and Arnica Creek Meadows. September 11, 2022. Hiking & Camping 7
RyanP Goblin Valley SP Expansion General Discussion 3
K Hello from the Salt Lake Valley Noobs: Introduce yourself! 2
balzaccom Death Valley again Hiking & Camping 0
T Death valley Trip Planning 3
WasatchWill WRHR: Day 3 - 'Desolation Valley' to Halls Lake Backpacking 15
WasatchWill WRHR: Day 2 - Cirque of the Towers to 'Desolation Valley' Backpacking 28
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Hayden Valley in a Day -- September 17 2021 Hiking & Camping 27
J Death Valley Natl. Pk. Upper Monarch Canyon plus. Dec 1, 2021 Hiking & Camping 1
J Death Valley Natl. Pk. A Black Mtns and Canyons Traverse Nov 30, 2021 Hiking & Camping 2
J Death Valley Natl. Pk. 6 Days hiking. Nov 14-19, 2021 Hiking & Camping 1
scatman Hayden Valley Loop - Yellowstone National Park - September 17, 2021 Hiking & Camping 34
travel2walk Lamar River, Pelican Valley, & Speciman Ridge loop - Yellowstone, Jun 29 to Jul 3, 2021 Backpacking 15
J Death Valley National Park and Area Mountain Rambles Dec. 16-17, 2020 Hiking & Camping 0
J Death Valley Natl. Pk: Funeral Pk, Slit Canyon, and Big Dune. Dec 21-22, 2020 Hiking & Camping 1
J Death Valley NP Black Mountains and beyond Hiking Dec 19-20, 2020 Hiking & Camping 1
Burrito Death Valley van trip turns into something pretty special General Discussion 7
beaver-one Yellowstone advice: Lamar River - Pelican Valley - Mirror Plateau loop this summer Trip Planning 6
TheMountainRabbit Lamar River, Mirror Plateau, and Pelican Valley (Yellowstone NP) - mid-September 2020 Backpacking 28
balzaccom Death Valley again Hiking & Camping 4
Arizona Jones Willow Valley Loop Hike, Arizona Canyoneering 8
Miya Death Valley Birthday - Part 2 (3.7.20-03.8.20) Backpacking 15
A Info on Tehipite Valley Trip Planning 1
Miya Death Valley Birthday - Part 1 (3.5.20-3.6.20) Hiking & Camping 28
Kullaberg63 Pack Creek to Castle Valley - below the rim. Backpacking 0
westy Meadow Valley Mountains Backpacking 7