Uintas: Highline TH to West Fork Black's Fork

1. How's the fishing, particularly in early September when the bugs aren't quite as thick?

Dead Horse isn't known for good fishing, but Ejod has a different reputation. The lakes in Rock Creek seem to mostly have good fishing.

2. I noticed that to get to the trail head there may be a river crossing. I'm driving in a 2WD Mazda CX-7 (small SUV/Crossover). Do you think this would make it? I suppose this may depend on how high the water is flowing, but by September it may not be quite as high right?

It might in September when the stream is really low, but then the road gets pretty rough on the other side too. You can always park at the river crossing and add a mile or so to the hike.

3. I did Timothy lakes last 4th of July and LOVED the solitude. How much foot traffic does this hike see?

This sees more than Timothy Lakes. It's on the Highline so you get that traffic, plus WFBF is picking up in popularity although I don't think as much as other north slope drainages like Allsop and the Stillwater forks. If you do the point-to-point, the solitude is good in Rock Creek.

Thanks for the responses! Nick, tell me about Rock Creek. I read somewhere that there is a trailhead near the Upper Stillwater Reservoir. What lakes could I hit in a 3-4 day trip?

I've never come in from the bottom. It looks like the worst way to access the area. But I've done the route below two times, once in each direction. It's easily doable in 3-4 days and I highly recommend it. The only trick is having two cars to run the shuttle. If you just wanted to explore into Rock Creek, doing it from either side would be fun. I've seen and heard great things about the lakes on the upper west side there. It's on my list to return to, possibly as an out and back from Hwy 150.

[parsehtml]
<iframe width="850" height="640" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php?q=mymap,214533597045798101523.00049cba5f5955a77beb5&t=t4"></iframe><br /><small>View <a href="http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php?q=mymap,214533597045798101523.00049cba5f5955a77beb5&t=t4" target="_blank">Four Lakes Basin Map</a> full sized in a new window.</small></br></br>
[/parsehtml]

Great report and pictures! This is motivation to get me back in shape for the summer. This area is definitely on my list of places to hike to in the future.

If you just wanted to explore into Rock Creek, doing it from either side would be fun. I've seen and heard great things about the lakes on the upper west side there.

Agreed. From Ledge Lake on the north (my personal Uinta favorite) to Gladys is awesome. If you're into wildflowers go in July - Dead Horse in the morning when the flowers are in bloom is not to be missed. As well as the high meadows between Gladys and Helen.

These are all great responses and thoughts. I'm starting to think about setting out from the Highline Trail head and hitting Carolyn lake for some Grayling fishing. I may camp there for the night or I may keep going over Rocky sea pass and try to make it to black lake before dark. I hear black lake is good fishing. I'll try to hit a couple of other lakes The next day, stay another night and then make the long treck back.

Any suggestions as far as which lakes to hit once I am in the Rock creek basin?

We had a ton of success at Timothy lakes using renegade dry flies. When the fish aren't rising to the surface, what have you used in this area (rock creek)? Woolly buggers? Leach pattern?

A renegade fished wet is one of my favorites. Just soak it so it sinks and then strip it in. Woolley buggers and other dark patterns like that are also good wet. And don't forget about a bead head hare's ear, prince nymph and other flies like that. I've had great success with them although I usually am happy with the renegade. Another option is maribou jigs. I think 1/8 oz in black and brown dark patterns. Brookies LOVE 'em.

have any of you eaten a grayling? i've heard they don't taste very good.

Good grayling is all in the prep. Gotta scrape those scales off! Butter is your friend.

Eating or not, fishing grayling is pretty fun. They are aggressive little guys and acrobatic.