Spent 3 nights up around Kings Peak and Red Castle last weekend. Our final night, at about 10800 feet, our water bottles, left outside our tent, froze solid all the way through. The meadows were covered in frost with water vapor emerging from the creek. Inside our tent with fly fully zipped up, our little keychain thermometer registered just under 30. I figure it probably got down to at last 25 outside the tent through the night. Fortunately it didn't take long for everything to thaw out and warm right up once the sun was up, and we were well positioned for some early sun to hit our camp that morning. Snow will most likely be a real possibility in October, and temps most likely dipping down to the low teens by then.I'd appreciate seeing some actual temps w/altitude or location as we head into September.
My fall trip, which had already been shortened and limited to the 3rd week of September, may get pushed into October, as recovery from a SI joint injury has been taking longer than I'd hoped.
Definitely ok with lower temps(much preferred!), really just curious about when snow might become an issue.
Sorry! It always does that when I arrive in the state(at least the SW part, to date).No, no, no, no!
I think the Red Castle area just for one night. Wife and dog are coming along, so there's a chance we'll end up somewhere off of MLH instead if we need more time to get stuff done at home over the weekend.Where you heading to?
I appreciate the warning! Be sure to spend a good bit of time in SLC. I love a good thunderstorm up here.Sorry! It always does that when I arrive in the state(at least the SW part, to date).
I joke about posting a severe weather warning whenever I head that way, but it's not really a joke.
I was originally supposed to fly in today.
Someone must not have gotten the memo about the schedule change.
Uhhh, might be some more coming week after next...fyi!
Sounds fun.I think the Red Castle area just for one night. Wife and dog are coming along, so there's a chance we'll end up somewhere off of MLH instead if we need more time to get stuff done at home over the weekend.
We were originally headed to Glacier for a trip encompassing this weekend, but we decided to save that trip for next year.
The weather should be warmer and sunny after today, so hopefully all the stuff that fell last night will be melted off by tomorrow, even.Sounds fun.
I'm going to try hopping south from Hoop Lake over the divide to the Kidney Lakes area and loop back along the Highline. FIngers crossed the snow melts before then. The pass I'm hoping to cross is 12k (Yikes). Working on Plan B right now.
|Thread starter||Similar threads||Forum||Replies||Date|
|Uintas Conditions 2018||General Discussion||210|
|Uintas Conditions 2017||General Discussion||128|
|Uintas Conditions 2016||General Discussion||93|
|Wasatch/Uintas conditions late April/early May||Trip Planning||6|
|Starting a fire in damp conditions in the Uintas||General Discussion||14|