Uintas Conditions 2015

Just noticed that, even though they show the pass/road still closed, the Bald Mountain Pass weather cam is showing that they have plowed it at the highest point.

UDOT's tweeting about the plow work: https://twitter.com/UtahDOT/status/598641679705382912
...and talked to KSL's Jed Boal about it today.

I'd note that going up while the plow crews are working is not a great idea, as they need room to work. Pulling off on the shoulder in an area still to be plowed will not end well for your vehicle. The trailhead parking lot might not be cleared either.

Ran a reconnoiter today. Highway was clear over the pass (but wet with blowing snow).

_MG_1250.jpg

_MG_8121.jpg

Ice will start to break with a week or so of good sun, but it's not going yet.

_MG_8130.jpg

Melt is definitely happening, Provo River Falls is running pretty good.

_MG_8174.jpg

Trial Lake turn-off is a no-go right now. There were tracks leading in…

_MG_8131.jpg

…but the segment to Crystal Lake TH was under deep drifts.

_MG_8135.jpg

Moral of the story: don't count on anything above 9k feet for Memorial Day.

_MG_1253.jpg

Thanks Asher. Do you think or know the road is clear all the way down to Evanston? Time for a motorcycle ride...

Thanks Asher. Do you think or know the road is clear all the way down to Evanston? Time for a motorcycle ride...

If it's clear over the pass, I'd bet it's clear all the way to Evanston. I went as far as Mirror Lake before turning around.

Thanks for the update Dave! It looks like these spring storms have really allowed the Uintas to hang on to some snow. As much as I'd have liked to get up there for Memorial Day weekend, I am glad to see that it's not dry up there. It would be pretty bad news if it were already.

I'm curious what effect these storms have had on snow levels. Is there enough snow to go snowshoeing? I'm tempted to take off early from work and pop up there. I haven't been out and about much lately and the mountains are calling me.

I'm curious what effect these storms have had on snow levels. Is there enough snow to go snowshoeing? I'm tempted to take off early from work and pop up there. I haven't been out and about much lately and the mountains are calling me.

Up high, you could probably snowshoe. I walked around Trial Lake on Saturday. In some spots, I postholed thigh-deep.

Up high, you could probably snowshoe. I walked around Trial Lake on Saturday. In some spots, I postholed thigh-deep.

Thanks for the response. Sounds like 9000ft+ should be a go for snowshoeing then. It seems like it's probably a bit on the warm side for these storms to be dropping snow that will stick in anything but the highest elevations. Hoping to sneak out this week, if I do I'll report back.

I was planning to start some daddy daughter trips up around Mirror Lake or Trial Lake next week. I'm thinking I should probably start looking for a lower elevation trip closer to home now. :( Looks like we were all fooled into thinking the Uintas would be cleared of much snow going into June.

I'm just hoping for the Grandaddy Lakes area to be good to go the last week of June for my first planned trip...yep purely selfish reasons!

Are we expressing "pent-up- fury" or what?

My sweetie and I drove up the MLH from Evanston on a recon on Saturday. The environment was so friendly (quiet, uncrowded, broken clouds and no snow)...

View of north slope at 8700'
8710feet_5.jpg

View of north slope MLH at 9000'
8700feet_4.jpg

That we went home and hooked up our trailer and dragged it BACK up there for an overnight. Here is what happened. It was a beautiful and fun outing - she was charged by a moose with a days old calf and we enjoyed the storm. But not backpacking weather. However backpacking at 9000+ feet is possible snow-free once the weather turns - which is the forecast for this weekend. HDOY in the forecast. Finally!
oops.jpg

And lastly here is the Highline trail head. Sort of.
highline_6.jpg

Last edited:
I was planning to start some daddy daughter trips up around Mirror Lake or Trial Lake next week. I'm thinking I should probably start looking for a lower elevation trip closer to home now. :( Looks like we were all fooled into thinking the Uintas would be cleared of much snow going into June.
Probably doable a little lower. Trail Lake is still snowed in. Christmas meadows road is fine and maybe even good at the campground/trailhead. The north slope road is not quite (but close) still impassable at Elizabeth Pass.

Does anyone know if the road to Whitney Reservoir is accessible. I am thinking of taking the kids camping up that way this weekend

The road at the turnoff of the MLH was definitely snow free last weekend. We didn't drive up there though. I forecast every part of the road below 9000' will be snow free. Maybe higher due to the high temps we will have starting today. Does that road go over 9000'?

For those of you who like to use Caltopo, you can find and view Snotel info in real time.

Just click the layers button and enable Snotel sites to be displayed.May 29, 2015, 2:50:46 PM.png

Then hover your mouse over the site you want to see a real time summary for. Clicking on the site will reveal a graph of the last 7 days.
May 29, 2015, 2:52:29 PM.png

Trial Lake yesterday was 16 inches. Now it's already down to 12 inches! This warmer weekend ahead of us just might be enough to clear out most of the snow around there and allow me to take my 4 year old on a daddy daughter trip I had planned for middle of next week. Hoping to hit Mirror Lake and Fehr Lake area, but we'll happily settle for just a bit lower around Trial Lake if it comes to that. Trips back to Ruth Lake area and 17 Lakes loop are planned with my older daughters later in the month.