trip report: Wind River Range – Ross Lakes, Bear Basin, Grasshopper Glacier, & Dinwoody Creek loop, Aug-Sep 2020

Bob

Trailmaster
Lol..... Summer in idaho, montana and wyoming means smoke....has for as long as I can remember. A smoke free summer is rare... Aug and Sept are the worst usually.

LarryBoy

Hiker Trash
Man I must have nearly run into you. A buddy and I did a similar-ish loop Sep 4-7, starting and ending at the same trailhead. We were planning a full traverse of the range, but the fearsome forecast (which was understated, if anything) turned us back, and we bailed down the glacier trail back to the car. Fun trip and great photos. Congrats!

travel2walk

Man I must have nearly run into you. A buddy and I did a similar-ish loop Sep 4-7, starting and ending at the same trailhead. We were planning a full traverse of the range, but the fearsome forecast (which was understated, if anything) turned us back, and we bailed down the glacier trail back to the car. Fun trip and great photos. Congrats!
Nice, what was your route? On those days, we went from Sourdough Glacier to Dinwoody and out by the 6th.

Yea, we got out before that storm. Sounds like you guys hiked out through that?

LarryBoy

Hiker Trash
Nice, what was your route? On those days, we went from Sourdough Glacier to Dinwoody and out by the 6th.

Yea, we got out before that storm. Sounds like you guys hiked out through that?. Left from Trail Lakes TH. Up to Horrse Flat to Downs Mtn and camped at 12,400 a little north of Baker/Iceberg Lake.
I guess it was actually a 3 day trip. If you guys finished on Saturday, our day 1, there's a possibility we bumped into each other between the trailhead and Goat Flat. I have absolutely no recollection whether or not we met anybody on that climb.

Day 1: Trail Lakes TH up the Glacier Tr to Horse Flat. xc to No Mans Pass and Downs Mtn. Camped at 12,400 right on the divide. Terrible, but awesome campsite.
Day 2: Glaciers traverse to Dinwoody Glacier. Was going to continue over either Blaurock or Bonney passes toward destinations south, but we turned back due to the forecast and headed back north along the Glacier Trail to the Downs Meadows area.
Day 3: Continued north along the Glacier Trail back to the TH. It started spitting about a half hour after we made it to the car. By time we made it to Lander, it was changing to snow.

Two days later, when we retrieved my car from Sinks Cyn, I brushed off a foot and a half of wind-blasted snow. I'm just glad @Bob and co survived in the teeth of it. Lot of SAR calls that weekend. I'm shocked and grateful that nobody lost their lives - especially given the number of not-quite-so-experienced folks who tend to be out there on Labor Day weekend. Bet if the storm had hit Saturday or Sunday instead of Monday evening, it would have been carnage.

Other than the fact that we carried 8 days of food on a 3 day trip (we didn't make the decision to pull the plug until our last scrap of cell service along the divide on the afternoon of Day 1), it was an awesome trip, even though it was truncated.

travel2walk

I guess it was actually a 3 day trip. If you guys finished on Saturday, our day 1, there's a possibility we bumped into each other between the trailhead and Goat Flat. I have absolutely no recollection whether or not we met anybody on that climb.

Day 1: Trail Lakes TH up the Glacier Tr to Horse Flat. xc to No Mans Pass and Downs Mtn. Camped at 12,400 right on the divide. Terrible, but awesome campsite.
Day 2: Glaciers traverse to Dinwoody Glacier. Was going to continue over either Blaurock or Bonney passes toward destinations south, but we turned back due to the forecast and headed back north along the Glacier Trail to the Downs Meadows area.
Day 3: Continued north along the Glacier Trail back to the TH. It started spitting about a half hour after we made it to the car. By time we made it to Lander, it was changing to snow.

Two days later, when we retrieved my car from Sinks Cyn, I brushed off a foot and a half of wind-blasted snow. I'm just glad @Bob and co survived in the teeth of it. Lot of SAR calls that weekend. I'm shocked and grateful that nobody lost their lives - especially given the number of not-quite-so-experienced folks who tend to be out there on Labor Day weekend. Bet if the storm had hit Saturday or Sunday instead of Monday evening, it would have been carnage.

Other than the fact that we carried 8 days of food on a 3 day trip (we didn't make the decision to pull the plug until our last scrap of cell service along the divide on the afternoon of Day 1), it was an awesome trip, even though it was truncated.
Nice, sounds like you guys were doing the high route? That section of sourdough glacier, baker lake, and going over grasshopper glacier would be the highlight of any other backpacking. So well worth it the hike.

Yea, we were pretty set on getting out before the storm. We drove down to Fort Collins that Monday and I remember everything was orange from the fire near there with ash coming down. Then the next morning everything was covered in snow. It was crazy. Glad everyone got out safe.

Bob

Trailmaster

Lol..... We didn't think was that bad where we camped, high wind only about 2in snow. Couple miles above ink wells trail in Dinwoody. You probly
walked by us.... saw quite a few people travel by....We had 8 days food as well we carried around. We day hikes up to where you can see gannet and bkaurock... Wouldn't have wanted to be much higher elevation... That's why we bailed, we were headed to horse ridge / noel lk....could have been a 13,000 ft camp / pass. Winds are hard to get a week good weather window... This is my third try into that country..... Key is to be prepared AND know when to quit.

LarryBoy

Hiker Trash
Lol..... We didn't think was that bad where we camped, high wind only about 2in snow. Couple miles above ink wells trail in Dinwoody. You probly
walked by us.... saw quite a few people travel by....We had 8 days food as well we carried around. We day hikes up to where you can see gannet and bkaurock... Wouldn't have wanted to be much higher elevation... That's why we bailed, we were headed to horse ridge / noel lk....could have been a 13,000 ft camp / pass. Winds are hard to get a week good weather window... This is my third try into that country..... Key is to be prepared AND know when to quit.
Yeah I'd forgotten how well-sheltered Dinwoody creek was. It was quite a relief to camp down in the trees in the drainage, after having spent a blustery night on the divide the night before. My understanding was that the entire east side of the divide got pounded with a couple feet. Glad it didn't happen where you were! Wise words there. Knowing when to quit is crucial.

We saw a couple guys either camped or hanging out (don't remember which) not too far from Ink Wells tr on Sunday afternoon, but it definitely wasn't you and Joey :)