Trip Planning

...there is no room for freelancing to get to your pickup point.

And maybe this shows the difference in trip preference which leads to the different types of trip planning and execution. I do VERY few point-to-points with a required pick-up at the end, and that's mostly because I don't like being tied to such a regimen. To me, and this is just me, I go into the backcountry to relax and to turn off the time clock that runs my life back in the world. I hate the schedules and demands on my time that I have to deal with in my world. So if I run into a trail two days into my trip that was destroyed the day before by horses in a rain storm, then I'm going to have no interest in subjecting myself to that mud pit. So I'm going to take another trail and enjoy the rest of my trip.

It's because of my unwillingness to stick to a strict schedule regardless of experiences or conditions that I don't usually do point-to-points.

I certainly think everyone should hike his or her own hike, and if sticking to a strict plan works for someone, then, by all means, he or she should enjoy the hike. But sticking to a strict plan would necessarily cause me NOT to enjoy my hike. And I don't like not enjoying my hikes. I'm not talking about adjusting my plan because of problems...I typically do it just because something else looks better once I get there and I want to go check it out.

I hope I'm not coming off as argumentative...my original post wasn't intended to be something in which I had to defend myself or where I expected everyone to agree with me. I just wanted people to discuss how they planned and executed their trips. I didn't think there were right or wrong answers...just different methods.

No argument inteneded. I just disagree with saying that "But if a plan is changed, and it will be, there need to be ways to adapt to that." My plans are not changed, that's why I plan. I generally hit all the areas I want to see, if not I make another trip... We generally do point to point or loops of at least 9 days a shot. However we are not running thru the country, I think our longest day has been about 9 miles. Too much country to see in too little time. I hate going and coming on the same trail as well. I rarely get back to the same place twice. If we want sometimes we do a short trip back into an area. Although I think really fast dextended trips like the CDT or AT are not my idea of fun. It does all boil down to personal preference and what you look for in your experience.

I count as separate trips such as: In the WInds, been in there three times but trking thru three different areas, some trails have crossed but that's it. Yellowstone the same, same NP but on completely different trails.

I think you can be strict about some aspects and then still very loose about the whole thing. For example, our 6-day trip to the Winds this past summer. We knew we would start at Green River Lakes and end at Elkhart Park six days later. We left a day of wiggle room on when we would end, but we left lots of wiggle room on what we would do in between. We had to choose between going over Vista Pass or Green River Pass - we had no clue which way we would go until we were literally standing at the junction. That also meant a choice between going over Knapsack Col or the other way towards Jean Lakes. We also tossed in the possibility of going over Wall Pass and down Pole Creek. Our emergency contacts were aware of all possibilities so we could do whatever we wanted.

We could have pushed harder and spent a day in Titcomb like originally planned, but the storms said no thanks, take a break dudes. We still ended our trip on time and without stress, but it wasn't quite what we had dreamed up. On the other hand, if we had set our schedule so tight that we HAD to keep a specific set of camps, we would have done it because we would know that was the only option. Bottom line - it's like others have already said, it's just personal preference. Some folks like to knock out lots of miles and cover lots of ground. Lots of miles mean totally different things to different people. Others like to have more wiggle room. I think we all plan that in whether or not we realize it. A loose plan is still a plan. Whatever works for you is the best possible scenario.

Just remember that when something goes wrong, and it will, the plan you left with your family will be the only thing SAR has to go on when looking for you. Modifying your trip in route is a very good way to make sure SAR will never find you.

Just make sure you include the other 'possibilities' in your emergency plan and that problem is solved. Even if something is a long shot, I always tell my contact that it's a possibility we might go that way. It won't cover all bases, but it does a pretty good job and just stating that there are other possibilities will likely open minds and let SAR know to look beyond the standard route. Granted, there are plan modifications that will most definitely screw you if you find yourself pinned between boulders, but a good plan should involve lots of plan B's, IMO.