Album Trees

Below an eagle nest. Around here they seem to nest exclusively in large cottonwood trees near bodies of water. Mostly along the river, though sometimes near lakes. This nest has been around for quite a few years--it's the longest existing one I personally know of. Bumped one eagle (a juvenile, I think) near it. I have seen them nest in this in the past, though not for a couple years.

RX105750-L.jpg

My oldest daughter got back at her dad for all the times I pushed her buttons, and kicked me during soccer practice. It left my left leg and ankle bruised, not sprained, but twice the size it should be.
This meant my Wednesday hikes for the past couple of weeks were cancelled due to immobility... However, did a couple short miles a couple of times this past week and did not feel too much worse for wear. Hoping to get an overnight in over Memorial Day.

I do love the gamble oak. Especially with new green leaves in spring where for a couple of weeks each year the foothills look less desert and more... more green... more lush.
But it is a short, fleeting time.
Potatoe Hill 5-20180099-proc-small.jpg

Potatoe Hill 5-20180108-bw-small.jpg

Potatoe Hill 5-20180112-sq-small.jpg

Since I was digging through the archives tonight... another not very backcountry tree, but at a great campsite in western Nebraska from 2015.

merritt-sunrise5-063015-L.jpg