Album Trees

Nick

-
I love trees. Especially cottonwoods and the crazy things they do to survive in the desert. Post your photos of cool, beautiful or unusual trees and forests you've experienced here.

I really liked this Cottonwood with it's buds just popping open near the top of Halls Creek Narrows.
IMG_0118.jpg

And this one in Maidenwater Canyon is one of my favorite Cottonwoods. It was so hard to photograph because of the mixed light, but it was amazing to see. Awesome how it had grown up the wall to get to the light and managed to get SO big and strong in the process. There's not much there for scale, but the smaller trees and bushes were pretty much average human height or more. That thing is huge!
IMG_7352.jpg IMG_7356.jpg

And one more for now, perhaps the largest diameter Cottonwood I've ever seen. Located in upper Little Death Hollow.

View attachment 25935

There's a Fremont Cottonwood (Populus fremontii) on my daily dog walk that is just crazy big. The base is at least the size of a VW beetle.

I was able to speak to the owners of the house one day, and they said it is on city record that it was planted in 1857! This will be a perfect thread to motivate me to take a picture of it.

No junipers yet?!?! Juniperus osteosperma is my favorite.

Squaw Flat Blue Hour Bonsai by slc_dan, on Flickr

400 year old Tulip Poplar in the Joyce Kilmer-Slickrock Wilderness, North Carolina, one of a handful that escaped the large scale logging of the early 1900's.

IMG_2521.jpg