Album Trails

I once went skidding down Independence Pass on my side at around 30 mph and almost under a moving car that managed to stop at the last minute. My bike was mangled (the tire had popped off the rim), but I came out of it with only a broken thumb, lots of road rash, and some damaged nerves on my hip. It's funny how a brush with one's mortality can slow you down, in a good way. I'll never get over looking up at that car's bumper mere inches from my head. That was the beginning of a transition to 100% hiking/walking and slowing down and enjoying smelling the roses. I sometimes miss my bike, but not enough to get another one.
So glad you survived that experience. Last summer, my son was biking up one of those steep hilly roads outside of Boulder, CO, and witnessed a terrible, fatal accident with a cyclist flying down the road. It had a huge effect on his riding, as he learned from someone else's tragedy that bike safety is no joke.

I once went skidding down Independence Pass on my side at around 30 mph and almost under a moving car that managed to stop at the last minute. My bike was mangled (the tire had popped off the rim), but I came out of it with only a broken thumb, lots of road rash, and some damaged nerves on my hip. It's funny how a brush with one's mortality can slow you down, in a good way. I'll never get over looking up at that car's bumper mere inches from my head. That was the beginning of a transition to 100% hiking/walking and slowing down and enjoying smelling the roses. I sometimes miss my bike, but not enough to get another one.

Absolutely agree with you about this. I think I might have told this story previously, but I was hit by a car while riding my road bike just outside of Missoula, Montana in Hellgate Canyon. When everything came to a standstill, I found myself looking up underneath the front bumper of the guy who had hit me. I was lucky and only had a severe road rash on my left side, but I can tell you from that moment on, I really began to appreciate the little things in my life that I tended to ignore before the incident. It took me almost 2 years before I got back on my bike, and I can remember the first car that came up from behind me on 11th Avenue here in Salt Lake. I flinched, or maybe winced is a better description as I heard it approaching me, and breathing a little sigh of relief when it finally passed me by.

A tiny mistake today led to a lot of bouldering . I went a bit too far north and didn’t realize the mistake until we were deep into it. Turning around seemed worse than trying to find a way through it.

Rick looking for a route, can you find him?
A5F50626-DCE5-41C8-A508-8172E52CDED5.jpeg

It seems like we were almost there!
D05B2BE4-06D1-436D-802F-EFB0973B27B6.jpeg

We can do it! So close….
B24AE4BA-6860-4E43-A449-9B19B4203051.jpeg

Nope, we couldn’t make it through, so plan B, a detour, uh…..
EC1429B6-FB8B-410A-B952-A456B8622BC9.jpeg

Whew, we made it through, looking back to where we came from. That was not the last obstacle of the day, but it was certainly the most challenging to us. Think we will sleep well tonight , ha…
2C6BA6A4-2CD8-4A97-8E07-A09B2603F224.jpeg

Chinle Trail, Zion

southwest%2013%20copy-XL.jpg

Trying out some new trails. Its toasty now, shorts weather, beyond spring conditions in mid February, swallowtails out, birds chirping away, first wildflowers are opening up, gnats are outs…. We saw plenty of bikers and hikers here. The shade from the trees was welcome!

6C9C3A7A-EE5B-4ADD-9BE1-52A681627150.jpeg

Trail continued further down along the red rock and that was hot!
61D56D15-2F10-4E37-A339-6168D898368A.jpeg

74A5749B-7252-4F0D-B2E5-8C4D7B7C4AD8.jpeg
964EBA41-53A5-4B1C-A88C-BF277212F714.jpeg

Just finished a wonderful x-country ski trip at Stokely Creek Lodge in Ontario's Algoma Highlands, a little north of Sault Ste Marie. Tons of snow - lake effect from Superior. 75 km of groomed trails with beautiful woods, creeks, lakes, and big hills!

IMG_8163.jpg

IMG_8167.jpg

IMG_8197.jpg

The
Spur of the moment day to escape the heat. Fish eye lens views:
The fish eye views are so interesting! And it's really fun to imagine looking upstream or downstream to where we each were along that magnificent canyon. :)

April 5, mountainbiking near home in Calgary on dusty dry hillside singletrack. The image doesn't quite capture the golden grass which was glowing in the late afternoon sun. Or maybe it was me who was glowing from the delight of riding in shorts and a tee!
P1160121-copy-2.jpg
April 6. End of the trail at the top of Blueberry Hill, on a great day of spring skiing in the Rockies west of Calgary. Only about 10 days left in XC ski grooming season on the higher elevation trails.
P1160152 copy 2.jpg