Toasting @Scatman?

Okay @Rockskipper, it looks like you are going to be an honorary member of our September Yellowstone debacle - err, I mean backpacking trip; so this is your mission should you choose to accept it.

So with @kwc's idea of a 20 pound box of circus peanuts from amazon, I can strap said box to @TractorDoc pack - he'll never know; I've become adept at slipping rocks in his pack to slow him down a bit in the past. :whistle: What we need from you is a way, or perhaps some kind of apparatus, that will dispense the circus peanuts from the box, to leave a peanut trail if you will, in order for the group to find its way back from the wilds. Now the peanuts must be spaced to maximize the distance between each nut, based upon the number of peanuts in the box.

Things you will need to know: The trip will be approximately 35 miles in length, and one must be able to see the previous peanut from the one that is currently being deposited. This being that we will use the trail of nuts on our way back to the trailhead, and thus we need to visually determine our route from nut to nut to safely find our way out of the backcountry.

So put your calculus hat on, do a little integration, take some derivatives, find the tangent to the curve, and we'll have the best circus peanut trail Jellystone has ever known.

If you are feeling extra creative, have the dispenser build a circus peanut cairn, one for each trail/off-trail mile. :thumbsup:

Per @scatman’s idea of the circus peanut trail, it would appear that @scatman is making the big assumption that bears and other creatures of the wild won’t be tempted to eat said peanuts. However, perhaps @scatman has researched this already and has come to the conclusion that bears and other creatures of the wild won’t touch these circus peanuts. Which brings one to yet another question - why won’t the bears and other creatures eat the circus peanuts? And if they won’t eat them, why in the world would any human eat them?

Another question - can one roast these circus peanuts over a fire like a marshmallow? And if so, can one create a circus peanut s’more?

And can circus peanuts be used as a firestarter?

This problem is going to require much more than calculus. Maybe even some linear algebra. And engineering applications are often difficult and require a lot of testing. I mean, this could mean going well beyond the mean in applications. Are you guys up to the test? It could require spending the rest of the summer in Yellowstone you know.

How could the creatures of the wilderness not be tempted by such delicacies? The Circus Peanut, that is.

First there is the bright orange color. (I stay away from the yellow, white, and pink ones in the variety pack -- the pink ones are ok but the white/yellow ones are not tasty enough for my palate) Never mind that bright, vibrant colors are often used in nature to signal danger or toxins to potential predators.

That will all be a second thought when said critters see its more or less in the shape of a nut. They will be tempted to take a nibble of the rubbery texture, unless the peanut has sat out in the sun for awhile and become stale. At that point it may chip a tooth.

Once wildlife has had a taste of the banana like flavor they will not be able to help themselves and continue eating more not realizing they are simply filling themselves with empty calories. Circus Peanuts are fat free after all and won't do much good to prepare for hibernation.

The animal's real score will be the group of wandering hikers that cannot find their way back via nut trail and succumb to the banana breath, orange toothed species that caused the hikers to get lost in the first place.

Yellowstone will have to introduce a new policy that Circus Peanuts will be forever prohibited from entering the park, although from previous replies it sounds like this should have been in place all along.

Crazy you say? Anything can happen. Even if it is just a little nuts.

Per @scatman’s idea of the circus peanut trail, it would appear that @scatman is making the big assumption that bears and other creatures of the wild won’t be tempted to eat said peanuts. However, perhaps @scatman has researched this already and has come to the conclusion that bears and other creatures of the wild won’t touch these circus peanuts. Which brings one to yet another question - why won’t the bears and other creatures eat the circus peanuts? And if they won’t eat them, why in the world would any human eat them?

Another question - can one roast these circus peanuts over a fire like a marshmallow? And if so, can one create a circus peanut s’more?

And can circus peanuts be used as a firestarter?

Why of course they can, the question being would you want to.

Circus Peanuts are like the Leatherman multi-tool, in that they are handy for just about anything. You could dam the mighty Yellowstone if you had enough of them.
This problem is going to require much more than calculus. Maybe even some linear algebra. And engineering applications are often difficult and require a lot of testing. I mean, this could mean going well beyond the mean in applications. Are you guys up to the test? It could require spending the rest of the summer in Yellowstone you know.

I'm game for the rest of the summer. You forgot to include differential equations as part of the toolkit to solve this vexing problem.

Ignore the previous responses about wildlife eating the nuts. Trivial it is!

Eigenvectors and eigenvalues are the key! Carry on, there is work to be done. :)

Isn’t that a gun shop?

I have no idea, I've never been inside. I did ride my bike past once while riding from Clearfield to Preston, ID and back, as part of my training for LOTOJA years back.

I'm going to stop in on my next trip to Logan.

Last edited:
I'm going to stop in on my next trip to Logan.
Bring me a goodie from the Crumb Brothers when you’re there. I used to go there every day for an espresso and palmier. After I moved back to Moab, one of their bakers came down on vacation and brought me a loaf of bread. Made my day.

Bring me a goodie from the Crumb Brothers when you’re there. I used to go there every day for an espresso and palmier. After I moved back to Moab, one of their bakers came down on vacation and brought me a loaf of bread. Made my day.

Will do.