Tips for solo backpacking

I think the only solution is "suck it up buttercup" :whistle:

I've only done a few solo's and nothing multi day, but I can definitely relate. I think just exposure will easy the unjustified uneasy feeling. I definitely have it too, its weird. And yet when I have solod, I also have some highs that just can't be reached when I have others around. I definitely would like to do a multi day solo someday.

my experience from last year ;)
Just a few yards away from my tent. It was a little bit weird to know there is something big sneaking around your camp at night, but I did nothing and believe it or not, I fell asleep again after a short while.

i-xQksNB7-M.jpg

i-P5N659c-M.jpg

But I'm still more scared of spiders than anything else when camping and backpacking solo. I'm a sissy... :D

My first few trips out I was pretty paranoid about cougars -- but have since learned not be afraid of them at all hardly. I believe this stat is still true -- ZERO fatal attacks by cougars in Utah on adults in over 100 years (I think one child was killed a long time ago.) Cougars I've learned are much more aggressive in areas where their land is in jeopardy -- ie the hills of sprawling suburbia like California.

I don't spend a lot of time in bear country -- but usually just taking care of your food properly will help put the mind to rest (somewhat.)

Otherwise... hike longer/harder! I've always found that doing this makes me so tired that I'm much more apt to sleep through that packrat roaming around my tent which sounds like a bear in the middle of the night!

- Jamal

now I totally understand why you're packing so lite. :)
With all the holes left on your tarp due to the spiders....

Anyway, I'm a little bit crazy and totally freaking out when they are near me. Do you ever have any near your tarp at night?
Nothing else really scares me, but those creepy things.... it's insane, I know

I am with you Miss Buffalo. Hate those eight legged critters. Recently ran into one unexpectedly canyoneering I screamed like a girl and cussed like a sailor. I am positive that thing was ready to eat my leg off!!!! It was HUGE. Last year was my first back pack trip through The Narrows and we went without a tent. Had the hardest time sleeping because they were EVERYWHERE!! Stupid stupid fear to have I try really hard to not let it get to me, but when they pop up out of now where I loose it!

Haven't solo backpacked not ready for that yet... working up to it. Looking forward to it.

I am with you Miss Buffalo. Hate those eight legged critters. Recently ran into one unexpectedly canyoneering I screamed like a girl and cussed like a sailor. I am positive that thing was ready to eat my leg off!!!! It was HUGE. Last year was my first back pack trip through The Narrows and we went without a tent. Had the hardest time sleeping because they were EVERYWHERE!! Stupid stupid fear to have I try really hard to not let it get to me, but when they pop up out of now where I loose it!

Haven't solo backpacked not ready for that yet... working up to it. Looking forward to it.

Okay I still don't know if I'll be able to go without a tent in The Narrows. The stories of rodents crawling over faces FREAK me out! And same on the spiders. They haven't been too bad this year but last year there were some nights I would have really been upset to not have a tent.

Otherwise... hike longer/harder! I've always found that doing this makes me so tired that I'm much more apt to sleep through that packrat roaming around my tent which sounds like a bear in the middle of the night!

- Jamal

Haha! Please tell me you haven't actually had one IN your tent, right!? :eek: But seriously, great point. Someday I'm gonna hike something epic like you do! I feel like my legs are ready for it, now to deal with this job of mine.....

Okay I still don't know if I'll be able to go without a tent in The Narrows. The stories of rodents crawling over faces FREAK me out! And same on the spiders. They haven't been too bad this year but last year there were some nights I would have really been upset to not have a tent.

that would be an absolutely no go for me without a tent. :eek:
I can cope with all critters, snakes, bugs, whatever, but never ever spiders!!
I'm freaking out at least 3-4 times a week at home due to spiders and I have my anti spider spray in every room.
But you cannot bring all those spray bottles while backpacking. So the only reasonable solution to avoid those eight-legged monsters is to stay in a tent at night. Even if it means to carry some extra weight for the tent.

I will be honest I am not a fan of spiders either, but oddly when I am out hiking/camping the spiders don't seem to bother me. I can walk through their webs and watch them do their thing and it doesn't phase me.. but at home.. yeah they had better die

Quite a bit of my trips are solo. I've done up to 5 days out by myself. I carry a Kel-tec pf9 in my cargo pants. It's always there, and while it's not a quick draw it's not like digging through a backpack.
Some have said I'd be wasting my time to shoot a bear if attacked, I'd like to at least have the option. Don't forget you could use it signal for help to.
As for Soloing, know your skill level and try not get in over your head. An example, A few years ago when I hiked through Zion I really wanted to the Narrows, but I'm not a great swimmer. I decided to error on the side of caution and not be wading through high water for miles. Instead I hiked from the Kolob down into the main canyon.
I don't think it's really any different than hiking with people on a physical level, the biggest difference is mentally. There are pros and cons. A week or so back when I did a weekend bike ride I went with my neighbor. He is definitely a stronger bicyclist than I. He kept things very positive on second days when we battled winds for hours. That was a big plus for me. In contrast to last fall when I hiked Indiana's longest trail, the Knobstone by myself. I was physically sick on the third day and as such was pretty discouraged. On the other hand, I really enjoy being by myself for great periods of time and nothing beats the solitude of soloing.

Think I might have found the solution...

http://thegoat.backcountry.com/2012...-kit-for-making-sure-your-campsite-is-secure/

BACKPACK RADAR KIT FOR MAKING SURE YOUR CAMPSITE IS SECURE
backpack_radar-300x168.jpg

It might be made for the military but the U.S. military and the outdoor industry have a long history together. The radar backpack kit weighs 20 pounds (so bring some friends to carry it), and once setup it will alert you if anything moves within 150 acres. Guess what? Something will probably be moving within 150 acres all the time, but it’ll be fun to stay up until your batteries die so you can see if it’s a bear or a piece of tumbleweed rolling around.

As a lifelong solo backpacker, I can't imagine camping in the backcountry anyway else. Well I can imagine it, (waiting for people, losing people, putting up with the noise) I just prefer not to.
Anyway, here is a quick article I wrote entitled
As the undesirables of the backpacking world, we soloists must stick together.

Hi Dan. Welcome to backcountrypost. Something tells me that you just signed up to post a link and now you'll never be back. Let me fix that link for ya. ;) If you choose to become a more active member and not just someone here to post a link out, your links will be more than welcome. Until then, we'll pass.

Interesting thread.
I guess I have always considered a trip solo when I was with my husky, Malek. He passed on after Xmas, and he was too old for the last year to go with me. I probably am solo 75% of the time, as I sometimes like the silence and not having to deal with other people and their issues. Just me and the back of beyond. While most of my trips are in the desert southwest I do occasionally venture up into the mountains. I have never had any contacts with man eating critters while I was with Malek, as my theory is that bears and mountain lions have been tracked and hunted for so long using dogs, that they will stay away at the scent. Malek never barked, and was a good hiking companion, so I guess I was not truly solo when I was hiking with him. Having said all of that, I have had contact with moose and mountain lion when i have been "solo". Several times in Dark Canyon I have watched a lion watching me. One of the thrills of my life actually. They never got close during the day, but they did some reconnoitering near my camp at night, as I like to camp near water and you have to expect animals to visit at night. The moose was on a trip to the Tetons. Waking up on the ground looking up at a moose munching moose food not more than 30' away (he looked 15' tall!)scared the shit out of me. But I think shooting him with a gun would have just pissed him off.
I have never even seen a bear while backpacking, but I have seen evidence of their passing or activity, and I have heard them thrashing about. Getting out by myself, and the inherent danger and risk of doing that, is what I like. Having a companion is not going to save your ass if a hungry desperate bear decides to wake you up. A gun may help, but I have never even shot a gun, let alone owned one. I have never felt that I needed a gun in the backcountry, ever, but that is just me. The amazing experiences that I have had by myself over shadow any fear I have going solo. Being armed would take away from the experience. And being a little scared is part of the fun, isn't it?

Oops. Just reread the the whole thread. Not sure what I was thinking when I posted that I travel with a hand gun. I thought I was responding to someone else's post about carrying. Apparently I'm the one who thread jacked. That wasn't my intention.
To be clear, I have a gun on me 90% of the time, so carrying one on the woods is just second nature. But I recognize that it's a controversial issue and it wasn't my intent to thread jack.
Everybody hikes there own hike, so carry on and keep this thread all about creepy crawlies and tent or no tent etc. for soloist.

Long-winded...sorry...

This thread means more to me after having just returned from only my 2nd solo backpacking trip ever (Uintas - Ryder, McPheters, and Kermsuh Lakes, and Hayden Peak). I love the different opinions and comments about soloing, guns, companions, fears, pros, cons, etc. Thanks for you comments!

For me the hardest part is the nighttime while I'm trying to sleep. It's unnerving to me. I "hear" all sorts of stuff...even with earplugs in! My co-worker suggested Valium. =)

Some of my thoughts intermingled with some questions:

- A gun is heavy and undesirable but would most definitely give me some peace of mind. Concealed permit needed? I guess bear spray could be a good option.

- Taking a dog would be awesome! I wish I had one. Any loaners out there? Haha. I've heard mixed reviews about dogs keeping bears away.

- Animals. I fear them. Mostly irrationally and mostly at night. Moose, cougars, bears... But, I realize the chances of an encounter is super low. On a rafting trip (Green River/Deloation Canyon) I had a scary experience. I was sleeping in my tent about 100 feet from the other people in my group. In the middle of the night a large animal rolled up to my tent and I could hear it breathing and huffing (and maybe even stomping)? It just sounded big, mean, and angry! I went from dead asleep to wide awake with a POUNDING heart with lots of adrenaline. It stayed there for several minutes. I was paralyzed with fear. It finally went away. A girl that was in the nearest tent asked her boyfriend if he "heard that"? "What? That was nothing...it was a deer...go back to sleep!" Haha. Anyhow, a year or two later, I heard that they had to put down a problematic bear at that very camp! I reckon this is why I fear animals at night!

- Soloing is slightly lonely but it's great to just do your own thing. No contraints, noise, begging people to go with you, etc.

-I'd say about 15-20% of the people I see in the backcountry are solo. What do you think?

- Safety - Definitely need to be experienced, be smart, safe, let someone know, etc. I soloed Hayden Peak and thought, "Man...this would be a bad place to roll an ankle, break a leg, or take a fall!"

- Tents - I like using one to keep the creepy crawlies off me as well. That, and it provides an impervious barrier between me and the hungry bear. ;)

- I took an mp3 player for when the trail got really long and monotonous. Is that bad to take tunes into the backcoutnry!? =)

Nick, how many solo trips did you end up doing this year? I'd be curious to see what people prefer. Solo vs. NOT solo. Can you do a poll? =)

Cheers,

Mike

Um.. NO... it is not bad to take tunes into the backcountry! Just no blaring it to the rest of the world. Okay that is all I have to say on this topic for now. I am still working up the nerve to attempt a solo trip.