Album The members of backcountrypost.com

I did another backcountry hike in Hawaiʻi Volcanoes NP today
A nice 14-mile loop primarily across lava to a backcountry cabin and then down to the coast.

trail%20selfie%202%20-XL.jpg

pepeiao%20%20selfie-XL.jpg

Pepeiao Cabin

trail%20selfie%203-XL.jpg

only two more trails left, then I have hiked all trails in the park that are legally open
Several trails are closed since 2008 and will probably never reopen again.

New Year's morning saw a 530am wakeup call and starting the year on Mount Olympus.
IMG_6309.jpg

@scatman some mahogany for you.IMG_7579.jpg

Not as bad as some years, but the inversion smog cut into the views.
IMG_7589.jpg

The day ended with fried wontons, egg flower soup, and chicken bulgogi - all homemade.
IMG_7609.jpg

Wow! Now that is how it is there Ugly in the SLC area? Gosh, if this continues with such a lack of snow, it could be a long hot and dry summer with some fires around and about unfortunately. Do know that in Jackson Hole there is only a little snow on the ground, but more up in the mountain. Have heard further on up in Alaska in areas like Anchorage, record snowfall.

Last edited:
New Year's morning saw a 530am wakeup call and starting the year on Mount Olympus.
View attachment 128538

@scatman some mahogany for you.View attachment 128537

Not as bad as some years, but the inversion smog cut into the views.
View attachment 128536

The day ended with fried wontons, egg flower soup, and chicken bulgogi - all homemade.
View attachment 128535

I can't believe you did Olympus without me! :D I 've got nine more days in what I call Boot Jail. Hopefully, the doctor will let me start walking for exercise after Jan. 11th, after I get this cursed thing off. Thanks for the shot of the mahogany, it will help me pass the time. :)

The picture of you on the crux is nice.

How many people did you see up top and along the trail?

And what a difference a year makes.

001.jpg
001b.jpg
01.jpg

Yes @Kmatjhwy and @Bob terrible so far, especially on the front side for snow. The mountains are not the worst... but not good either.

@scatman When you are ready, I am hiking nice and slow right now, hit me up :)
(I felll flat on my back just in the backyard a little while before Christmas, bruised my ribs and tweaked my hip. Luckily that all seems better.)
This was our slowest time ever. Mostly because the last mile-ish on the way down my knee was done and I hobbled.

there were a few dozen people, but not crazy. Mostly die-hard types.

I think the crux is easier when there is more snow. I did it with new spring snow several years ago, which was a lot easier for the crux, but then on the way down it there was nothing but superfrozen, slippery snow, so I biffed it quite a few times on blister hill and butt-slid at a few other spots that year. We might have even had snowshoes that time.
The worst was an in between year where a few of those crux pitches were icy in a bad way.

Yes @Kmatjhwy and @Bob terrible so far, especially on the front side for snow. The mountains are not the worst... but not good either.

@scatman When you are ready, I am hiking nice and slow right now, hit me up :)
(I felll flat on my back just in the backyard a little while before Christmas, bruised my ribs and tweaked my hip. Luckily that all seems better.)
This was our slowest time ever. Mostly because the last mile-ish on the way down my knee was done and I hobbled.

there were a few dozen people, but not crazy. Mostly die-hard types.

I think the crux is easier when there is more snow. I did it with new spring snow several years ago, which was a lot easier for the crux, but then on the way down it there was nothing but superfrozen, slippery snow, so I biffed it quite a few times on blister hill and butt-slid at a few other spots that year. We might have even had snowshoes that time.
The worst was an in between year where a few of those crux pitches were icy in a bad way.

Nice and slow suits me. :)

We are down in snow and cold....... I have about 10 inches at the house.

Calendar shot 2024! What's this remind you of @Rockskipper?

But first, a foot update: I am out of my flat shoe and the surgeon has told me that it is okay to walk now, and ride the stationary bike, so the last three days I have walked two miles each day through my neighborhood, and the foot did reasonably well. This morning, I completed a 3.25 mile walk, but my foot was sore when I finished. The doc also said that I could start light hiking in one month. :thumbsup: I'm not quite sure what "light hiking" means though. :)

01.jpg

Last edited:
Come on up...... can find find light hiking for you ...lol

How about a little snowshoe jaunt.... could even go into Yellowstone!

Calendar shot 2024! What's this remind you of @Rockskipper?
That's a very old pose practiced by analphabetic natives to relay the time of day using a little hand and a big hand like an analog clock. (Note that analphabetic in this case refers to representing sounds by composite signs rather than by single letters or symbols.)

You are telling someone that it's 1 p.m. This used to be done with smoke signals but this way is more accurate. Note its resemblance to a sun dial, as well as to that rather provocative pose used by can-can girls in Klondike saloons wearing bikinis before such was outlawed by the Canadian govt. (they did say sorry).

Last edited:
Extended my walk to 4.25 miles today, as I did the usual Memory Grove jaunt, then extended 0.5 mile into City Creek Canyon. My foot had some soreness when I finished up, but it was nice to go a little further today. Two more weeks until I can attempt a light hike. :thumbsup:

Lots of squirrels on this route. :)

01.jpg
02.jpg
03.jpg
04.jpg
05.jpg
06.jpg
Turn around point.
07.jpg
08.jpg

Couple more total day miles and you're ready to go.

Last edited: