Album The members of backcountrypost.com

Proud grandparents … hockey time with our oldest grandson. Not sure where the “tall genes” came from! 6’5” at age 15.
And he scored a goal today in his team’s 4-1 victory. Also note the “hockey hair”.

8CAD3962-DE3D-4350-BA1D-3E0CBB73034C.jpeg

Hiked a new trail yesterday in Cuyahoga Valley -- Salt Run in the Virgina Kendall area of the park. It winds thru a mix of deciduous/pine forest and crawls up/down a decent number of ravines. Could be a good training trail for future backpacking trips.

Kendall Lake is also nearby, which held an unexpected surprise.

First, an upward looking view from the trail.

0O7A3159A.jpg

Then, get the obligatory "member of BCP" picture out of the way.

thumbnail_IMG_1414.jpg

Now for the surprise.

A picture of Kendall Lake.

0O7A3165.JPG

As this was my first time here I did not know if those big white birds were local year round residents. . . but then a pair of them flew away.

0O7A3171.JPG

My first Ohio Trumpeter Swan sightings!

0O7A3130A.jpg

Hike up Dale Peak this past weekend.

28 degrees at the trailhead
01.jpg

Lookout Peak
02.jpg

A few maples still had some red to them
03.jpg

Dale Peak
04.jpg

The road to Grandeur
05.jpg

06.jpg

I liked the clouds above Dale
07.jpg

A lone acorn
08.jpg

A dried up mule ears
09.jpg

Dark-eyed junco
10.jpg

Chickadees were my constant companions on this hike
11.jpg

More red
12.jpg

Rabbit tracks near the summit
13.jpg

View to the west from the summit
14.jpg

View up Parleys Canyon, with Mount Aire at the upper right
16.jpg

View to the north across Emigration Canyon
17.jpg

Little Dell Reservior
18.jpg

Summit shot
15.jpg

My gear
14b.jpg

Interesting trail coming off the Mount Wire Ridge across Emigration. @regehr, have
you done this?
19.jpg

Love the golden grass this time of year
20.jpg

Scat I don't know that trail, interesting. There's quite a bit going on on the south slopes of that ridge. The other year a went up to Lookout from Affleck Park and then we continued walking west and then south along that ridge, eventually crossing some spots that you and I walked on that epic Red Butte rim walk, and eventually dropped down to Emigration. The whole descent part was on a trail that I'd never even heard of -- my friend who lives in Emigration knows that area well.

But back to your trail, this might make a nice medium-length loop starting with a climb of Mt Wire. The return might be awkward, I certainly would not want to walk the Emigration road. I don't know what that feature is that cuts straight back to This is the Place Park, is that a pipeline? Power line? Anyhow, maybe that's a reasonable route.

Scat I don't know that trail, interesting. There's quite a bit going on on the south slopes of that ridge. The other year a went up to Lookout from Affleck Park and then we continued walking west and then south along that ridge, eventually crossing some spots that you and I walked on that epic Red Butte rim walk, and eventually dropped down to Emigration. The whole descent part was on a trail that I'd never even heard of -- my friend who lives in Emigration knows that area well.

But back to your trail, this might make a nice medium-length loop starting with a climb of Mt Wire. The return might be awkward, I certainly would not want to walk the Emigration road. I don't know what that feature is that cuts straight back to This is the Place Park, is that a pipeline? Power line? Anyhow, maybe that's a reasonable route.

Pretty sure that's a pipeline. I think you can take it back to your starting point to make a nice loop. I may have to check it out at some point.

A Happy Thanksgiving to all here on BCP. Sheila and I did our annual quick hike to the top of Ensign Peak this morning to get our hearts beating a little bit before enjoying a turkey dinner later today. There were a lot of screaming kids on the trail today, so Scatman almost had to go full grizzly bear! :D

001.jpg
02.jpg
01.jpg
03.jpg
04.jpg

Last edited:
when you go full grizz, do you:

1. growl at them
2. swat at them
3. throw rocks at them (oh wait, that's Bigfoot, bears can't throw rocks)
4. chase them
5. bury them/eat them
6. eat moths

Last edited:
A Happy Thanksgiving to all here on BCP. Sheila and I did our annual quick hike to the top of Ensign Peak this morning to get our hearts beating a little bit before enjoying a turkey dinner later today. There were a lot of screaming kids on the trail today, so Scatman almost had to go full grizzly bear! :D

View attachment 127428
View attachment 127429
View attachment 127430
View attachment 127431
View attachment 127432
Is that smog? maybe fog? I forgot what grey dingy skies look like.

when you go full grizz, do you:

1. growl at them
2. swat at them
3. throw rocks at them (oh wait, that's Bigfoot, bears can't throw rocks)
4. chase them
5. bury them/eat them
6. eat moths

Usually let out a big roar.

If any of them have some decent marbling, then I'll cache them. Of course, just like a squirrel burying nuts, I sometimes forget where I've cached them. :roflmao:

Later this week, I'll be having surgery on a bunion on my right foot. It has been bothering me for about three years now, and it is slowly getting worse, so I decided to get it fixed, and take my recovery time over the winter months. The doctor tells me that I will be in a flat shoe for a month, and then two more months after that before I can resume rigorous activities.

Knowing this, I decided to get one more hike in yesterday to the summit of Grandeur Peak. It was a cold day, but the hike up was nice, as the sun was shining for the most part. Once on top, while eating my lunch, a cloud formed between Mount Olympus and Grandeur and blocked the sun. It didn't take long before I was freezing, so I packed up and headed down. I was about 1/3 of the way down before I got feeling back in my fingers.

01.jpg
View of Grandeur Peak from the northwest at valley level on my way to the trailhead

02.jpg
Tollbooth in Millcreek Canyon

03.jpg
Entering the National Forest

04.jpg
The Subaru

06.jpg
Millcreek

07.jpg
Church Fork

08.jpg
Three miles that way

09.jpg
Typical of trail conditions

10.jpg
Grandeur above

11.jpg
First good view to the north

12.jpg
Clouds on Church Fork Peak to the east

13.jpg
The summit of Grandeur above

13b.jpg
The trail is curving around to the west side of Grandeur, with the first wide views of the valley below

14.jpg
Salt lake Valley below

15.jpg
These were waiting to be photographed just before the summit

16.jpg

17.jpg
Summit shot

24.jpg
Lunch time

19.jpg
Two little pieces of Tony's Chocolonely that I had to quickly eat once the sun went
Behind the forming cloud.

20.jpg
View down into Church Fork on my way down, with the cloud that blocked the sun on the summit in the upper right of the image

21b.jpg
This guy was yacking at me on my way down

21.jpg
Falls on Church Fork

22.jpg
Back at the Sube.

25.jpg
Another shot of Grandeur at valley level, this time from the southwest on my way home.

26.jpg
And I stopped by Epic Brewery and bought some of their latest Big Bad Baptist line to help me make it through the next 3 months.
Surely these will help me heal faster? Right? :D

Later this week, I'll be having surgery on a bunion on my right foot. It has been bothering me for about three years now, and it is slowly getting worse, so I decided to get it fixed, and take my recovery time over the winter months. The doctor tells me that I will be in a flat shoe for a month, and then two more months after that before I can resume rigorous activities.

Do not eat too much Chocolonely, or you will have to roll instead of hike. Best wishes on the surgery.

Hope all goes well with your bunionectomy and recovery. I probably have one or two in my future, but I'm hoping to stave it off as long as possible. Good luck!

Knowing this, I decided to get one more hike in yesterday to the summit of Grandeur Peak. It was a cold day, but the hike up was nice, as the sun was shining for the most part. Once on top, while eating my lunch, a cloud formed between Mount Olympus and Grandeur and blocked the sun. It didn't take long before I was freezing, so I packed up and headed down. I was about 1/3 of the way down before I got feeling back in my fingers.
Going to miss the trip reports, but you can make up for it with more "What's Cooking With Scat". Or maybe not, as you won't be burning off all that energy in the next while.

Going to miss the trip reports, but you can make up for it with more "What's Cooking With Scat". Or maybe not, as you won't be burning off all that energy in the next while.

Twins! :D
01.jpg

A quick update:

I had a bunionectomy on my right foot on November 28th for a clinical trial for an experimental pain relief drug for after surgery pain. The surgery went well, but unfortunately, I got the placebo. This meant for the first three days, I was in extreme pain, but starting on day four, the pain has slowly subsided each day. I am only allowed to be flat footed while sitting or standing for 30 minutes before I have to elevate my foot. These restrictions will be lifted next Tuesday, along with having to wear my flat shoe 24/7. It has been hard to get a good night's rest with it on at night. Next Thursday, I will get the bandage taken off, and the stitches removed, but unfortunately I will have to continue to wear the flat shoe for another four weeks, but not at night. Once the flat shoe is gone, I will have two more months before I can start hiking again. Truthfully, I have been going a bit stir crazy not being able to be out and about, but I guess that will teach me some patience in the long run.

My companion for six weeks. :(
02.jpg

I did cook up a big pot of black beans earlier this week, after soaking them overnight. I added some pepper, onion powder, and garlic salt to them. I just love beans. I figured that might be too simple to post in the What's Cooking thread. :)

Last edited:
I just love beans.
Protein helps surgical recovery! Go for it. Best of luck with the recovery and it's best not pushed. I've failed to learn that lesson multiple times. :rolleyes: Meanwhile, road trips to great views may help to alleviate the itch.