Album The members of backcountrypost.com

Went outside for a while in the -11F weather this afternoon. Usually I'll happily spend a while outside in that kind of cold, but the wind was blowing something like 20-30mph, so that made the temp really bite.

20221222_134344-L.jpg

Lol.... Took grandaughter to airport in Bozeman this afternoon.. almost texted you to come to dinner Jackson,. When we left the airport at 530 p it was -28.

Lol.... Took grandaughter to airport in Bozeman this afternoon.. almost texted you to come to dinner Jackson,. When we left the airport at 530 p it was -28.
Yeah it got back to -30s last night haha. We're gonna slowly come out of it over the day today though!

Shoot me a message next time and I'd definitely meet up!

I haven't hiked since Thanksgiving Day due to severe shin splints, and that was a short twenty minute trip to the top of Ensign Peak. I've been resting, icing, stretching and elevating my shins religiously, but with little to no improvement. To keep from going stir crazy today, I hiked up Mount Wire with my daughter who is in town on her X-mas break from school. It was a balmy day here in Salt Lake today with a 40 degree reading at the trailhead. It felt like I hadn't hiked in a month. When we reached the summit, we had it all to ourselves which is rare for Wire, being a pretty popular hike/trail run.

01.jpg
Snowman on the Shoreline Trail

02.jpg
I think that this glove is trying to tell me something? If only I was bright enough to
figure it out. :thinking:

02b.jpg
A magpie keeping an eye on me

03.jpg
I really liked the contrast between the brown leaves and the snow

04.jpg
Are we there yet? :) My shins want to know.

05.jpg
My nemesis for the day, taking it all in

06.jpg
Looking up towards the Living Room

07.jpg
A lone red leaf

08.jpg
Wait for me! :D

09.jpg
More contrast

10.jpg
And more

11.jpg
Yep, more.

12.jpg
Lookout Peak to the east

13.jpg
Antelope Island to the northwest

14.jpg
The final push to the summit

15.jpg
The sun trying to peak through

16.jpg
Katie approaches the summit

17.jpg
Summit shot

18.jpg
Time to climb the beacon

19.jpg
A BCP greeting to @Rockskipper from the top of the beacon

20.jpg
Great day to be out

21.jpg
Heading back down, with Antelope Island in the distance

22.jpg
Some intelligent deer in the foothills. :)

23.jpg
A scrub jay back at the Shoreline Trail

Good to have you back, but you know the cure for shin splints—it really does work, even if you have to buy a lot of alfalfa cubes. And that hat was doing the BCP salute, not being cranky like you thought.

Best to you Scatman with your shin splints. I have a friend who has gotten them at times. Loved your photos. Also that one bird in your last photo appears to be a Stellers Jay and not a Scrub Jay. Best to you!

Best to you Scatman with your shin splints. I have a friend who has gotten them at times. Loved your photos. Also that one bird in your last photo appears to be a Stellers Jay and not a Scrub Jay. Best to you!

Thanks for straightening me out @Kmatjhwy . What did your friend do for the shin splints, if anything.

Now Scatman, you were inquiring what my friend did for his shin splints. Think my friend just took it easy and let them recover. This was hard for him but not much else do think he could do. Also for some of his ailments takes CBO but do not know if this worked any for the shin splints. Best to you on this!

Change shoes ....... stiff heal and stiff arch supports.....

I wanted to get the feel of the deluge of the first day of @Bob 's Teton Wilderness trip back in August, or perhaps @TractorDoc 's last day's death march through Pelican Valley in September, so I headed out with the family today to conquer the Avenues Twin Peaks in the driving rain and hail, not to mention the gale force winds at the summits. :cold:

01.jpg
Rainy day in Salt Lake City

02.jpg
These three temporarily lost their minds and decided to hike with me

03.jpg
Deer track

04.jpg
Cold yet? :)

05.jpg
Snow covered Shoreline Trail

06.jpg
Islands of sagebrush

07.jpg
A cute little oak leaf

08.jpg
Destination above

09.jpg
Some drops on the lens of my camera, with City Creek Canyon below

10.jpg
Cold yet? :lol:

11.jpg
Leaning into the wind on the north summit

12.jpg
The Scat family

13.jpg
The south summit ahead

14.jpg
Mount Wire, yesterday's destination on a beautiful day, just right and up from center of image

15.jpg
A lone, cold thistle on the south summit

16.jpg
Heading home

17.jpg
Can you find the four deer laying down on the north side of the ridge?

I haven't hiked since Thanksgiving Day due to severe shin splints, and that was a short twenty minute trip to the top of Ensign Peak. I've been resting, icing, stretching and elevating my shins religiously, but with little to no improvement. To keep from going stir crazy today, I hiked up Mount Wire with my daughter who is in town on her X-mas break from school. It was a balmy day here in Salt Lake today with a 40 degree reading at the trailhead. It felt like I hadn't hiked in a month. When we reached the summit, we had it all to ourselves which is rare for Wire, being a pretty popular hike/trail run.

View attachment 117388
Snowman on the Shoreline Trail

View attachment 117389
I think that this glove is trying to tell me something? If only I was bright enough to
figure it out. :thinking:

View attachment 117390
A magpie keeping an eye on me

View attachment 117391
I really liked the contrast between the brown leaves and the snow

View attachment 117392
Are we there yet? :) My shins want to know.

View attachment 117393
My nemesis for the day, taking it all in

View attachment 117394
Looking up towards the Living Room

View attachment 117395
A lone red leaf

View attachment 117396
Wait for me! :D

View attachment 117397
More contrast

View attachment 117398
And more

View attachment 117399
Yep, more.

View attachment 117400
Lookout Peak to the east

View attachment 117401
Antelope Island to the northwest

View attachment 117402
The final push to the summit

View attachment 117404
The sun trying to peak through

View attachment 117405
Katie approaches the summit

View attachment 117406
Summit shot

View attachment 117407
Time to climb the beacon

View attachment 117408
A BCP greeting to @Rockskipper from the top of the beacon

View attachment 117409
Great day to be out

View attachment 117411
Heading back down, with Antelope Island in the distance

View attachment 117412
Some intelligent deer in the foothills. :)

View attachment 117413
A scrub jay back at the Shoreline Trail

@scatman - I wish you a speedy recovery!
Like @Bob I wonder about your shoes.

The Moab Merrell you use have a staggering 11mm drop , so you’re essentially walking in high heels all day and they are super heavy. A foot injury forced me to try out different shoes this summer and I will never return to the old ones, (you know which ones I mean).
@Ugly convinced me to get into a lower drop shoe and what a difference hiking, woohoo…! There’s a transition time, but it’s worth it.

There are so many different shoes (high, low and zero off set / drop) and so many different shoe inserts. Do you need arch support -and if yes- how much? Does a shoe with lots of cushioning help or not? Lots of variables!

I don’t know what kind of shoe is best for shin splints, but both Altra and Hoka let you try out their shoes for 30 day on trail and return them, if you’re not happy.

@scatman - I wish you a speedy recovery!
Like @Bob I wonder about your shoes.

The Moab Merrell you use have a staggering 11mm drop , so you’re essentially walking in high heels all day and they are super heavy. A foot injury forced me to try out different shoes this summer and I will never return to the old ones, (you know which ones I mean).
@Ugly convinced me to get into a lower drop shoe and what a difference hiking, woohoo…! There’s a transition time, but it’s worth it.

There are so many different shoes (high, low and zero off set / drop) and so many different shoe inserts. Do you need arch support -and if yes- how much? Does a shoe with lots of cushioning help or not? Lots of variables!

I don’t know what kind of shoe is best for shin splints, but both Altra and Hoka let you try out their shoes for 30 day on trail and return them, if you’re not happy.

It looks like there is a lot of parameters to consider. I bought some inserts about three weeks ago that have arch support. How much do I need - some or a lot? I have a scheduled appointment with an orthopedic recovery doctor who deals with running and cycling injuries on the 11th of January. Hopefully he can evaluate my condition and make some recommendations based upon type of shoe and my feet.

Most go with the thinking of soft inserts....you need stiff ones. I hiked in Scarpa Kailash lightweight boots with Superfeet green inserts, not runners, since 1998. Never had shin splints.

Foam roller every night up and down your legs. Wrap the shin and ankle. Hot and cold treatments.

Last edited: