Album The members of backcountrypost.com

Yeah ........ he is going .......... "feed me" "feed me"

While it was not quite at the level of @scatman 's weekend posts I did manage to get a nice walk in this afternoon. We received our first significant snow of the year -- about six to eight inches. Pictures may not be the best as I did not get started until 5pm and I was losing light quickly.

Snow dusted trees.

5J5A9988.JPG

Hickory Shag.

5J5A0001.JPG

Sycamore Balls. :)

5J5A0007.JPG

Reflections in the creek. . . plus a small waterfall.

5J5A9995.JPG

Playing around with shutter speeds. Hoping to photograph some larger waterfalls later this year. ;)

5J5A9993.JPG

My favorite Oak Tree on the property. I have not measured its circumference, but it is big!

5J5A0041.JPG

This is the "Members of BCP" thread, so here is the obligatory member pic.

5J5A0013.JPG

Sorry, no pictures of my dinner to finish things out. I had leftovers. :)

a few shots from home

Kilauea%20selfie-XL.jpg

new%20shirt%20selfie-XL.jpg

I took a little six mile walk this morning from home and up into City Creek Canyon before heading back. i need to stay in shape for both @Bob's and @TractorDoc's death marches this coming summer. :D

The star of the walk had to be the Oregon grape, with its deep maroon color along the embankments and hillsides of the canyon.

02.jpg
Can you make out the house sparrows in the bush?

01.jpg
Zoomed in

03.jpg
Saw a couple of these along our way as we headed towards Memory Grove

04.jpg
@TractorDoc ought to be familiar with this shot as we begin our descent down into Memory Grove

05.jpg
Juniper berries along the path down into the grove

06.jpg
Flicker

07.jpg
Squirrel

08.jpg
Box elder maple has yet to drop its seeds (helicopters from my childhood)

09.jpg
Just love the Oregon grape this time of year

10.jpg
Some evasive tall grass and a cattail

11.jpg
An icefall

11b.jpg
Do you really think that I stop at this sign when I ride up City Creek? Not a chance. :p

12.jpg
You won't find two bigger scallywags

13.jpg
Still frozen in the canyon. It was 27 degrees when we set off on our walk.

14.jpg
More Oregon grape

15.jpg
And more

15b.jpg
Kind of hard to make out, but the red of the osier dogwood was very pretty too along the creek.

16.jpg
Wild rose

17.jpg
I thought this sewn log looked cool

17b.jpg
If I were a Native American, I think my name should be Leaning Tree, or perhaps Crooked Tree.

18.jpg
No, that is not a smile. :)

19.jpg
City Creek

20.jpg
And last but not least, my favorite house in the Avenues. Not sure why, but it is. You may need to reach into those money bags of
yours @Rockskipper and float me a low interest loan so that I can purchase it. :D Oh, and these shots were
taken with camera #35, a Canon PowerShot SD780 IS, in case you were wondering. :)

21.jpg
And the trees in the neighborhood are beginning to bud, so it won't be long before my allergies pick up. :(

Last edited:
Wyoming range will be a walk in the park .....

And last but not least, my favorite house in the Avenues. Not sure why, but it is. You may need to reach into those money bags of
yours @Rockskipper and float me a low interest loan so that I can purchase it. :D Oh, and these shots were
taken with camera #35, a Canon PowerShot SD780 IS, in case you were wondering. :)
That camera has nice perspective. As for the cash, next time you're in the area, stop in and I'll write you a check (people do still use those, I think). If I can't have a house like that, at least my Scatster buddy should have one. And if I were a creek, I'd hate to be called City Creek. Not much panache. Bring the tuxedo cat with you when you come by.

That camera has nice perspective. As for the cash, next time you're in the area, stop in and I'll write you a check (people do still use those, I think). If I can't have a house like that, at least my Scatster buddy should have one. And if I were a creek, I'd hate to be called City Creek. Not much panache. Bring the tuxedo cat with you when you come by.

I know I still right checks, but I'm pretty old fashion. :)

Here you go.

01.jpg

i need to stay in shape for both @Bob's and @TractorDoc's death marches this coming summer.
I believe you are the one that put a plan in place for later this year. I would not describe my tweaks as death march caliber. I even tried to make things easier for you with a boat ride. :)

Today's nature walk started with a meandering path thru the woods. I purposely now walk over downfall since I started hiking with @scatman . It feels wrong not to. . .

5J5A9530.JPG

We also followed the creek for a bit. Mrs. TractorDoc decided to join me today.

5J5A9532.JPG

The glaciers brought us a lot of interesting stuff back in the day. I could spend hours looking at all the different types of rocks in the creek. This large rock even has some nifty fossil components.

5J5A9531.JPG

Luckily, I perfected my log walking technique while crossing Broad Creek so many times last year. It allowed me to stay dry for this picture. Why one glove? Because my left hand was cold. Or was my right hand warm? :thinking:

5J5A9536.JPG

Heading back towards home. Mrs. TD does not like her picture taken, but I snuck this one in. This is my training hill -- I'll make ascents and descents with a weighted pack during my walks in the spring/summer. It is the only way I'll have a chance of keeping up with you Westerners acclimated to thin mountain air on this (and past/future) summer's adventures. Unless @Bob convinces me to pack in an oxygen bottle that is. :)

5J5A9546.JPG

The End.

I believe you are the one that put a plan in place for later this year. I would not describe my tweaks as death march caliber. I even tried to make things easier for you with a boat ride. :)

Today's nature walk started with a meandering path thru the woods. I purposely now walk over downfall since I started hiking with @scatman . It feels wrong not to. . .

View attachment 118792

We also followed the creek for a bit. Mrs. TractorDoc decided to join me today.

View attachment 118794

The glaciers brought us a lot of interesting stuff back in the day. I could spend hours looking at all the different types of rocks in the creek. This large rock even has some nifty fossil components.

View attachment 118793

Luckily, I perfected my log walking technique while crossing Broad Creek so many times last year. It allowed me to stay dry for this picture. Why one glove? Because my left hand was cold. Or was my right hand warm? :thinking:

View attachment 118795

Heading back towards home. Mrs. TD does not like her picture taken, but I snuck this one in. This is my training hill -- I'll make ascents and descents with a weighted pack during my walks in the spring/summer. It is the only way I'll have a chance of keeping up with you Westerners acclimated to thin mountain air on this (and past/future) summer's adventures. Unless @Bob convinces me to pack in an oxygen bottle that is. :)

View attachment 118796

The End.

I think you need to test out a life straw in that creek. :)

That hill looks way too steep for me. Good on the Mrs. for making it up it.

Last edited:
What was supposed to be a quick hike up the Avenues Twin Peaks this morning, turned out to be a tad bit longer, due to my normal route up covered in deep snow. I didn't want to posthole along the west side of the peaks because I knew @kwc would lecture me for not taking my snowshoes once again. :D So we had to extend our hike by following the Bonneville Shoreline Trail until we could make our way up to a different ridge that led us to the twin peaks. The wind was blowing very hard once we got up on the ridge, and continued to blow all the way to the peaks.

01.jpg
02.jpg
Pointing out what I thought was a deer across the canyon

03.jpg
Turned out to be a coyote instead

04.jpg
Then we saw a second one moving across the slope, across the canyon

05.jpg
Once I zoom in this far with my point and shoot, I can't control my hands shaking, so I couldn't quite get it centered in the image

06.jpg
A better job on this shot, although it was just luck. :)

07.jpg
On the shoreline trail. Normally we would have broken off the shoreline by this point, but the
snow on our regular route was crotch deep, and I didn't want to deal with it after last week's
Mount Wire postholing fun. :)

08.jpg
Leaving the shoreline trail and making it up the ridge

09.jpg
The Avenues Twin Peaks

10.jpg
To get to the center of the ridge we had to hike through some knee deep snow for a short distance

11.jpg
Looking down on City Creek Canyon from the Dude Benchmark to Burro Peak, and a slight glimpse of Grandview Peak too.

12.jpg
Working our way up to the north of the north summit of the twin peaks

13.jpg
Enjoying the view from the north summit. I didn't want to stand still too long due to the wind. :cold:

14.jpg
A lot of drifted snow on the edge of the summit, with Sheila about to summit the south summit

15.jpg
A capture of the sun through the clouds on our way off the north summit

16.jpg
Sheila coming off the north summit

17.jpg

17b.jpg
Clear day in the valley

18.jpg
Almost back to the city.

Nice thing about this hike is you can get back and get things done if need be, which I did.

Also, don't forget to cheer for the Tar Heels later today against Duke. Go Heels! :D