Album The members of backcountrypost.com

Caught a bunch of them members at once...

@slc_dan, @NateGeesaman, @Michael, Beck, Heike, Lacy, Skylar, Miya, Cassiopea and Underscore's two little ones in packs at Nate's Tree in upper Sand Creek near the BMT during the German's recent visit. Sure is nice to see international southern Utah lovers that are members.

View attachment 83366

What? Someone else is named Miya, spelled 'Miya'! So cool! Even if it is one of the dogs lol

Finally!!! The first snowshoe hike!!!
And it was the toughest one ever with 4 feet of snow and breaking trail.
I guess I need to buy the floatation tails on Monday

i-qhbp3ZZ-XL.jpg

Yes and she is special too, like you! She is featured in our Dogs of Backcountrypost thread in many places, like this one:
Now that you mention it, I might have commented on her name before...or maybe I just thought of it haha. I am forgetting things...lol

Now that you mention it, I might have commented on her name before...or maybe I just thought of it haha. I am forgetting things...lol
This begs the question.. who was named after whom? Miya is probably 35 years old or so, but that is in dog years. So you probably predate her. Maybe she was named after you. What is the origin of this unusual human (and dog) name? Sorry if it is too private to pry... no problem to decline. ;)

Maybe Underscore, @slc_dan, for our other, four-legged beautiful lady. could weigh in on the name origin...

This begs the question.. who was named after whom? Miya is probably 35 years old or so, but that is in dog years. So you probably predate her. Maybe she was named after you. What is the origin of this unusual human (and dog) name? Sorry if it is too private to pry... no problem to decline. ;)

Maybe Underscore, @slc_dan, for our other, four-legged beautiful lady. could weigh in on the name origin...

We've always spelled it Mya, but if @Artemus wants to spell it wrong he is entitled to do so.

We like short names for dogs, and it sounded right when we got her 9 years ago. 42 in doggy years, she's getting old, but still acts like a puppy.

We've always spelled it Mya, but if @Artemus wants to spell it wrong he is entitled to do so.

We like short names for dogs, and it sounded right when we got her 9 years ago. 42 in doggy years, she's getting old, but still acts like a puppy.
Oh haha yes that makes more sense! That is how most Mya's are spelled.

My mom picked out my name when she was 13 haha I am named after an old sci fi show and Miya was a half human and half alien. My dad agreed to the name because he is Japanese and Buddhist and he told people that I was named after Buddha's mom, Queen Maya LOL, but that isn't even Japanese Buddha, it is Tibetan Buddha. Basically, my mom just wanted to be difficult with the spelling.

And you let me go wrong all this time? That post from the Winds was 2014 ! How many other things do I have wrong in our relationship @slc_dan ?

Sorry, Mya.

ok, time to post some photos here....

Rick and @fossana in Crack Canyon end of October. We did the loop incl Chute canyon, taking advantage of having two cars.
BC6C5464-42C0-48E6-B865-31F499CA6D29.jpeg

Lower Spring Canyon hike, CRNP, crossing the Fremont River at the end. Taking advantage of having 2 cars.
@fossana taking the lead across the river
2F3E5C16-4751-4EB4-BF96-B763E9BAF6F2.jpeg

Rick’s turn
4A4845FF-0A5A-499F-A57F-834BC5DF6741.jpeg

My turn
8AAB0379-D1FF-4069-83BE-AA5FBD7D58D3.jpeg

Ofcourse we all stopped for pie and ice cream on a warm, sunny afternoon. Ok since we hiked about 26 miles in two days.
59BD8A1D-06D4-40B2-955B-2410A8016B3B.jpeg

We also met @regehr and his family in Hanksville for a beer! No photos...
Lots of stuff happened in between, but here’s a couple from yesterday in Sedona. Trails are all dry, but after all the rain Wednesday night, there’s water everywhere. The fragrance after the rain is amazing! Here is Rick
9E6FA320-5814-489B-BCD2-6F297487927E.jpeg

Today we will do our favorite hike here, the creek will be gushing with water and we need to cross it ten times or so today. The reflections were amazing yesterday afternoon:
687AD7EE-0957-4BE6-A3E1-78631C6EF41B.jpeg

Last edited:
Buttermilk Ski Area yesterday - the little one started skiing at age 3, is now 5 and doing intermediate runs. She wants to be on ski patrol ever since one of them gave her a sticker for her helmet, though she really doesn't know what they do. :) (And the stuffed animal looking thing on the opposite chair is a stuffed bear that was riding that day.)

IMG_2014.jpg

Last edited:
AAIRE1 with colorado mountain school up in RMNP. Crazy cool to be touring when the avy map is blinking red. Learning so much - highly recommend.

AAIRE1 with colorado mountain school up in RMNP. Crazy cool to be touring when the avy map is blinking red. Learning so much - highly recommend.

View attachment 85414

this is so awesome!!! I only had a general 1-hour class a few years ago but definitely need to take a real class next year as I venture out a lot more into the backcountry.