Album The members of backcountrypost.com

I've always heard that bullsnakes keep rattlers away, but I don't know if it's true, but I do know they keep mice away. :)

Cool story about the groupers (now I have to go look up what they are).

Yikes! They make snakes look cuddly:

250px-Epinephelus_malabaricus.jpg

@Rockskipper and @scatman - Bigger fish often open their mouth wide open like that to allow "cleaner fish" inside for a full mouth cleaning....
I'm much more comfortable around the Groupers, as compared to snakes :). But we stay far away from Triggerfish protecting a nest, see explanation here . They will take a bite out of a fin or what else they can bite. They protect their nest in the 3 dimensional cone area up from the nest (so starting narrow at the nest and expanding like a cone towards the surface. We have often seen the triggerfish roll on their sides getting ready to attack. You have to swim horizontal away and out of their territory.

Last edited:
Absolutely! I had more than one swig. Made for an interesting experience on the decent.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Haha I would imagine so! A little scotch at camp while backpacking makes me kinda clumsy. Would be a challenge trying to pilot a mountain bike downhill after a bit of whiskey!

it would appear that there is some sort of ban on hiking in a kilt during the fall hiking season in the SLC area ...
anyhow, great snake handling story @scatman!! ...

I knew before hand that I was going to head down the ridge (off-trail?) instead of the main trail, so I left my kilt at home. As it turned out, I picked up a game trail that made the going pretty easy for me so I could have worn the kilt. It was a gorgeous day here.

Haha I would imagine so! A little scotch at camp while backpacking makes me kinda clumsy. Would be a challenge trying to pilot a mountain bike downhill after a bit of whiskey!
Indeed! My arms were noodles and all I could do was giggle. So I dropped the seat, sat down and held on best I could. No Strava records.[emoji23][emoji23] Such a fun ride.

I would like to add the trail is aptly named Whiskey Tango Express.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

@Rockskipper, @Perry and @Titans - I was in the break room at my office this morning getting some tea when I gazed underneath one of the tables in the room and guess what I see - a Gopher Snake! I had just finished telling two coworkers about the one I moved off the trail yesterday on my hike, while we were waiting for the water to boil for our tea. I crawled under the table, got it and put it outside. My good deed for the day has been done. :)

@Rockskipper, @Perry and @Titans - I was in the break room at my office this morning getting some tea when I gazed underneath one of the tables in the room and guess what I see - a Gopher Snake! I had just finished telling two coworkers about the one I moved off the trail yesterday on my hike, while we were waiting for the water to boil for our tea. I crawled under the table, got it and put it outside. My good deed for the day has been done. :)

Okay so now we have an official snake whisperer :)

I've stood in line in that convenience store in Malad, but not for lotto tickets. Get me a couple while you're there, I could use a spare billion or two. If I win, I'll get you those boots.

Geez where do you work where snakes can get into your building? I work in an eight story office building and we have occasional mouse sightings that freak out a number of my co-workers ... I can hardly imagine what their reaction might be if a snake appeared on our floor! (I work on the 7th floor)

And I accept your rationale for choosing to leave the kilt at home.

Geez where do you work where snakes can get into your building? I work in an eight story office building and we have occasional mouse sightings that freak out a number of my co-workers ... I can hardly imagine what their reaction might be if a snake appeared on our floor! (I work on the 7th floor)

And I accept your rationale for choosing to leave the kilt at home.

I'm on the ground level here but I'm not sure how it got in myself. I've worked in this office for thirty years now and this is the third snake that has made its way inside that I have seen. The other two were harmless garter snakes. Our office will be moving downtown in three months so I guess my office snake days will be over at that point. :(

And thanks for the slack on wearing the kilt. :)

Last edited: