Album The members of backcountrypost.com

For some reason, all that green is very appealing.

We've had a pretty cool spring so far here and the foothills have greened up nicely. It won't be long before they start drying out though. :( Going to do a Van Cott loop tomorrow and hopefully some sego lilies will be in bloom on the south side.

This is the evening (11pm) view from the Chena River right near where I am a campground host in the Chena River State Recreation Area about 40 miles from Fairbanks. Unfortunately the campground host gig has turned out to be nothing more than garbage collection from the campground, the numerous trailheads, and the river access points. I am used to the “you carry it in, you carry it out” mantra of the Adirondacks but it just ain’t that way up in these here parts. People dump their household garbage in the various trash receptacles … it is both amazing and depressing. People seem to think that aluminum cans will burn up in a fire pit along with other assorted garbage. I am not sure how much longer I will continue doing this.

Anyhow, we’re up to 20+ hours of daylight and gaining nearly 7 minutes every day.

IMG_6985.jpeg

This is the evening (11pm) view from the Chena River right near where I am a campground host in the Chena River State Recreation Area about 40 miles from Fairbanks. Unfortunately the campground host gig has turned out to be nothing more than garbage collection from the campground, the numerous trailheads, and the river access points. I am used to the “you carry it in, you carry it out” mantra of the Adirondacks but it just ain’t that way up in these here parts. People dump their household garbage in the various trash receptacles … it is both amazing and depressing. People seem to think that aluminum cans will burn up in a fire pit along with other assorted garbage. I am not sure how much longer I will continue doing this.

Anyhow, we’re up to 20+ hours of daylight and gaining nearly 7 minutes every day.
How long are you up there? I'll be through that area in August.

This may be a dumb question, but I really don't know the answer. Is it possible for you to actually see the crack forming and the earth moving?
If you are really lucky and are there at the right time, you possibly could see that.

I was often out in the park when a moderate earthquake with magnitude five and up hit, and you could see the rocks move with the seismic waves.
However, these cracks are mostly the result of magma intrusion and ground deformation. This area received a 20-inch uplift in 3 days, so a lot of stress and a lot of earthquakes.
I'll be back next Tuesday and Wednesday and will take new images. It will be interesting to see if the cracks grew.

I was back at the cracks a few days ago.
You can clearly see that they are growing, especially behind me and on the clay part in front of me.

crack%20hunting%20again-XL.jpg

I woke up feeling calorie depleted this morning after @Ugly 's Mill B North hike yesterday, so I made me some buckwheat pancakes to remedy that situation. Of course, after I ate the stack of flapjacks, I felt that I needed to do something to burn them off. :) That meant a 6.5 mile walk up City Creek.

001.jpg
Mighty good breakfast

Most of the wildflowers have burned out at the lower elevations of the canyon. The two exceptions were the wild rose and thistles. Once I reached the 1 mile mark a few other plants started to show up, or at least were blooming this time of year.

01.jpg
The thistles were beginning to bloom

02.jpg

03.jpg
Ran into this Irish Wolfhound down in Memory Grove on our way to City Creek

04.jpg
City Creek is still churning

05.jpg
Wild roses - abundant along the creek side of the road

06.jpg
I've got this moseying down to a T :)

07.jpg
View up the road in City Creek

08.jpg
The dogbane was attracting bees and butterflies

09.jpg
Showy milkweed

10.jpg
More roses

11.jpg
Butterflies getting a drink

12.jpg
Ladybugs enjoying the aphids as the aphids enjoy the biscuitroot

13.jpg
Salsify

14.jpg
Yellow jacket down

15.jpg
Some funky clouds above on our way back home.

16.jpg
Sheila got this shot with her phone of a black-headed grosbeak by the entry station at the mouth of
City Creek

Last edited:
@scatman - I love your reports. My son hopes to move to SLC in the next year or so, and I will tell him about all the great hikes available close to town.

Thanks Janice. Is your son moving to Salt Lake for school, or a job? If he is outdoorsy in anyway he will like it here.

Thanks Janice. Is your son moving to Salt Lake for school, or a job? If he is outdoorsy in anyway he will like it here.
He loves skiing, hiking, and mountain biking, and he wants to be close to all that - which is why he wants to move from Iowa to SLC! He's hoping to work at the U.

Back