The Maze III

If you go to Horseshoe by taking the lower San Rafael Desert Road south out of Green River, you skip the soft sand that sometimes causes issues coming in from Highway 24 near Goblin Valley.

I forgot to mention that the second time I got stuck on that trip was because a calf ran across the front my vehicle right into a dune. If that hadn't happened I would have made it. Watch out for range cows!:disagree:

The Maze is so great. You guys were able to really squeeze a lot in in just a small time.

kudos.

Trip reports like this, encourage me to lift my 4runner and make it more offroad worthy, but for now I've resisted. @Nick What pressure did you run on your truck tires on those trails.

Trip reports like this, encourage me to lift my 4runner and make it more offroad worthy, but for now I've resisted. @Nick What pressure did you run on your truck tires on those trails.

I ran them at regular pressure, so around 40 I think. Jason aired his down.

What kind of hitch does that trailer have?

So if you drove straight thru that trip, how many hours driving would it have been? I have not spent much time in Canyonlands at all, but spend 2 weeks every Oct in Ut. Did you start off south of Moab and go in that way, or on 95 S of Hanksville? Got to love Stans burger shack in Hanksville !!! How many total miles is that do you know? Love your trip. My brain was going across it with you, a few hairy spots, but AWESOME !!! Thanks

By my measurement it's about 2-3 miles to cross all those upper forks of Teapot. And then it's still pretty nasty for a few miles past that. That center part of Teapot is always the worst though.

What do you usually drive out there, @Glasterpiece?

The one time Google has dirt road travel time estimate WAY too fast:
View attachment 50750

I failed to mention that when I go out to Standing Rocks I'm usually with a friend driving an F-150. He's never had an issue. He did have a transfer case issue one time and drove up the Flint Trail in high range.

I watched a guy go down the Flint in a 2wd F-150. He was still somewhat pale and shaking by the time I got down.

I also saw a shiny new GMC Suburban in the Doll House once.

So if you drove straight thru that trip, how many hours driving would it have been? I have not spent much time in Canyonlands at all, but spend 2 weeks every Oct in Ut. Did you start off south of Moab and go in that way, or on 95 S of Hanksville? Got to love Stans burger shack in Hanksville !!! How many total miles is that do you know? Love your trip. My brain was going across it with you, a few hairy spots, but AWESOME !!! Thanks

I don't know exactly how many hours, but it's a lot. We were driving for most of 3 days. Mileage is easy to figure out on a google map, I think it's upwards of 200. We started at Green River and drove south on dirt roads to Hans Flat, down the Flint, up to Maze Overlook, down to Teapot and out to Standing Rocks and then south to Hite/Hwy 95. There is no way to get to the Maze south of Moab unless you're talking about Hite.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
IntrepidXJ Maze Memorial Weekend III Hiking & Camping 6
D Four Days in the Maze, April 17-20 2023 Backpacking 7
maisweh Backpacking Maze - Please Critique Trip Planning 11
Desertratgal Backpacking/Packrafting Needles and Maze Districts of Canyonlands Trip Planning 3
RyanP The Plug exit of Pictograph Fork (Maze) Trip Planning 15
regehr maze road has a sand dune Trip Planning 14
JBPHXAZ Crossing Spanish Bottom from Needles to the Maze (and back) Trip Planning 13
RyanP Maze questions---Sweet Alice Canyon, etc Trip Planning 23
TrailScot 10 days in The Maze - April 2019 Backpacking 22
J Family hike in the Maze in June? (Canyonlands / Moab) Am I crazy? Trip Planning 5
Stephanie B Second Journey into The Maze : Deadman's Trail Hiking & Camping 1
Stephanie B Second Journey into The Maze : The Harvest Scene Hiking & Camping 5
Stephanie B Second Journey into The Maze : Lands End Hiking & Camping 0
Stephanie B Second Journey into The Maze : Cowboy Cave Hiking & Camping 2
Stephanie B Second Journey into The Maze : Moonshine Wash Hiking & Camping 11
Stephanie B Second Journey into The Maze : Butterfly Bend and Chaffin Geyser Hiking & Camping 0
Stephanie B Suggestions for Maze Hikes and Range Canyon Intel? Trip Planning 2
U Maze District of Canyonlands question Trip Planning 15
Benjamin Hayden Looking for advice on Maze District, Canyonlands Trip Planning 1
Parma Favorite Maze Campsites General Discussion 1
wesleyS The Maze road conditions Off Road 0
G The Maze! 6-day backpack trip Backpacking 5
ramblinman The Maze in March Backpacking 4
RyanP The Maze Trip Planning 28
Udink Maze II Hiking & Camping 4
b.stark Maze 2017-But seriously, where are Steve's gummy bears? Backpacking 7
frahminator Journey Through The Maze - April 2017 (Day 1 of 5) Backpacking 4
J "Mazing" Six day backpack in Canyonlands Maze Dist. Pt 2. April 13-15, 2017 Backpacking 8
J "Mazing" Six day backpack in Canyonlands Maze Dist. Pt 1. April 10-12, 2017 Backpacking 0
George_Washington_Hayduke Canyonlands Figure 8: Packrafting Loop through the Needles and Maze District Backpacking 3
Udink Maze Overlook to Harvest Scene Hiking & Camping 3
MVS Jeep Driving in The Maze General Discussion 3
Joey 10 Days in the Maze (video) Backpacking 21
IntrepidXJ Maze Memorial Weekend II Hiking & Camping 7
Joey Enjoying the Maze, April 2015, Part 2 Days 6 - 10 Backpacking 11
Joey Enjoying The Maze, April 2015, Part 1, Days 1-5 Backpacking 13
steve Invite Last-minute Maze Figure 8 packrafting trip this weekend Meet Up (Members Only) 3
Ross Six days in The Maze (with some Arches to warm up) Hiking & Camping 4
Joey Canyonlands's Maze and Fins Loop Backpacking 14
steve Maze help needed: Route into Water Canyon from Chimney Rock? Trip Planning 9
Bob Maze - Canyonlands Backpacking 10
steve The Maze Hiking & Camping 5
Kullaberg63 Devil's Slide to Horsethief Canyon; a northern Maze district packraft loop Backpacking 9
Joey 8 Days In The Maze, Canyonlands NP Backpacking 7
IntrepidXJ Maze Memorial Weekend Hiking & Camping 11
steve The Maze District - in Video Backpacking 23
Kullaberg63 yet another maze trip report.. Backpacking 23
Aldaron The Maze Backpacking 19
DAA The Maze, Mar. '14 Off Road 17
Kullaberg63 Solo Maze trip, with a twist. Hiking & Camping 13