The Gros Ventre Wilderness - August 31, 2015

Bob

Trailmaster
NIce trip report. ......................... whats old...... ? you youngsters

Don't like ads? Become a BCP Supporting Member and kiss them all goodbye. Click here for more info.

scatman

@Bob - You're my personal hero!

I'm telling you - I really felt beat up after this one. Not only my knees acting up but a pinched nerve between the shoulder blades from not getting the pack off my back more frequently. I'm still working on trying to get that on calmed down.

Jackson

I like to go outside.
@Jackson - Your route looks doable. When we were at Brewster Lake the climb to the west didn't look too bad. The small pass just south of Darwin Peak might be your ticket.
Awesome. Thanks for the intel. I really appreciate it because information on trails and off-trail routes in the Gros Ventres sure is hard to come by on the internet.

Tim Valentine

I always enjoy the creativity of your backcountry travels. The navigation challenges always seem to be understated in your reports. I bet you had fun finding your way around out there! Thanks for posting such a thorough report. Hope your knees and shoulders make a full recovery.

tv

Joey

walking somewhere
scatman the routes I've looked at a bit all would start on the Eastern side of the range, along Kinky Creek Rd., I believe it's called. I've seen photos of the Gros Ventre River drainage, and I've thought it would be interesting to follow the river up to near Black Peak and then make a loop of it by heading down the Dry Fork of Clear Creek. Looks like trails exist on both sections that follow water. I'd just need to find a pass maybe between Darwin Peak and Palmer Peak to connect the two drainages.
The area around Darwin Peak looks to be navigable. As we dropped down from Shoal Lake, I kept looking over towards Darwin thinking we could easily work our way over to Brewster Lake that way. Looking at it from the Brewster Lake side (my favorite spot of the trip), it looks like there is a lot to explore up there. Beautiful high country.

Keith

I am pretty sure that trip would have clobbered me. Those are incredible pictures!

Joey

walking somewhere
Excellent trip report Hugh. It was an incredible trip. Far beyond my expectations. When we first showed up to the trailhead, I got out of the van and said, "Hugh, this trip isn't going to suck." It didn't. A great combination of the wilds of Yellowstone and the high Wyoming alpine. Very few people. No permit restrictions. A pure wilderness feel.

The first day was rough. Almost 4,000 feet of elevation gain, with a full pack (and a hangover).
Shoal Lake, the Gros Ventre River (creek), and Brewster Lake was my favorite stretch. Grizzly (squirrel) Basin and Chainsaw Lake also add to this route.
The Six Lakes Basin, the pass between Crystal Creek and Flat Creek, and Turquoise Lake also make the cut for spectacular areas.

Thanks again for including me on such a special trip. Thanks to @Ben and @Artemus for joining us. I had a great time.

Scatman, when it comes time, we are taking your ashes out to an undisclosed location on the central plateau. And it will be done on a clear blue sky day. But we still got a lot more exploring to do before that time comes.

Diane Greer

Terrific trip report. What a beautiful area. You have inspired me to do a backpack in the area this summer. Thank you.

Don't like ads? Become a BCP Supporting Member and kiss them all goodbye. Click here for more info.